- at least one fatality

- 30,000 without power

- emergency dispatch tower collapsed

- planes flipped over at airport

- countless windows shattered by wind-driven hail and debris

- cars crushed by trees

- power lines felled by trees and even by airborn sheds

- dozens stranded on derailed ski-lift

..and this is in the middle of December. Shouldn't you be around -60C?, 2 ft of snow? I heard that later this week you should be in the 10-15C range? WTF?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am praying that your new roof is intact and your basement is dry!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah, it was really weird. We had a record breaking windstorm (gusts up to 117k/hour) and rain. Edmonton's City Hall had about 50 windows blown out on it's big glass pyramid (looks like a small version of the Luxor Hotel). It has been balmy (around 45F for a week), then yesterday it got cold again and dumped snow. It's going to be about 9F today (with a windchill around 0F), but by Thursday it's going to be 45F again. I have no clue what's going on this year... it's nuts!

The house fared the wind okay (although my neighbours half-dead tree left a bunch of branches on my new roof).

I've heard that the weather patterns up here get all wonky during an El Nino winter, but now I've seen it for myself! Personally, I kind of like it. It's a lot easier to deal with the bitter cold for a few days, if you know a warm, sunny day is right around the corner.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm el Niño eh, nerudite?
    AFAIK... there's only going to be a moderate ENSO this year, because right now it's practically normal around here and undecidedly between a cool sea and a warm one. It's quite impresive that something down here affects up north

Registered
    Aug 2001
    So right now it's -20C (-4F) at approx. 9:00 a.m. By this afternoon it is supposed to drop down to -30C (-22F). However, the high tomorrow is supposed to +5C (+41F). So in 24 hours there will be a change in temperature of 35C or 63F... sorry, but that is just too weird... even for Edmonton!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Do you guys get Chinook winds, the very warm breezes that come out of the Rockies and warm things up in the western U.S. occasionally?

I think the same winds occur in California, but they're called the Santa Ana winds.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I think that we should sit down and watch the movie "The Day After Tomorrow"

On a happy note, the Upper Peninsula has been getting hit hard with snow for almost two weeks now. Some places have over 4 feet of snow on the ground, and I have all next week to go skiing up there. LIFE IS GOOD.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    Do you guys get Chinook winds, the very warm breezes that come out of the Rockies and warm things up in the western U.S. occasionally?
    Calgary gets the chinook winds, but we don't typically get them here since we are further from the mountains. It mostly has to do with cloud cover/inversion layer here. When it's clear it's freakin' cold. When it gets cloudy, it gets nice and toasty.

I just saw the forecast for the next few days: Friday it will be above freezing, Saturday will be just below freezing... and then Sunday it will be super cold again (about the same as today). This seesaw weather is just nuts! At least it's going to be a white Christmas... last year it was kind of mucky brown and it didn't snow until Boxing Day.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Coldest Record....

Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Calgary gets the chinook winds, but we don't typically get them here since we are further from the mountains. It mostly has to do with cloud cover/inversion layer here. When it's clear it's freakin' cold. When it gets cloudy, it gets nice and toasty.

I just saw the forecast for the next few days: Friday it will be above freezing, Saturday will be just below freezing... and then Sunday it will be super cold again (about the same as today). This seesaw weather is just nuts! At least it's going to be a white Christmas... last year it was kind of mucky brown and it didn't snow until Boxing Day.
    As asked in a previous thread....what is the coldest ever recorded temp in Edmonton....? In Colorado I think it was something like -77F degrees , maybe that was with wind chill.....I don't remember....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't know about Edmonton specifically (sorry about missing it in another thread)... but here is what I found about Alberta:

The warmest recorded temperature in Alberta was 110°F (43.3°C) on 21 July 1931 at Bassano Dam; the coldest ever recorded was -78°F (-61.1°C) on 11 January 1931 at Fort Vermilion.
    I believe those do not include windchill factors.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ouch.....

I don't know about Edmonton specifically (sorry about missing it in another thread)... but here is what I found about Alberta:

I believe those do not include windchill factors.
    That's a cold one....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    That's a cold one....
    Yeah, I try not to whine too much though... otherwise panderson will get on here and kick my arse and tell me to be quiet. No matter how cold it is here, I almost can always take comfort that it's worse in Winterpeg!

(and to prove my theory, it's currently -21C here right now, but -24 in Winnepeg).

Registered
    Dec 2001
    you gotta love continental interior climates. Too far from ocean effect, too far from mountain effects, fully subject to the rapid diurnal and seasonal heating and cooling cycles. I can recall experiencing 106 degree heat and -30F cold here in central illinois in my short life. I believe the state records are 117F in E. St. Louis and -37 in Dixon, IL
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Now that's why I like to stay close to the ocean... so I don't have such weird weather and most of all, so my winters aren't that cold and my summers not that hot... Gotta love the ocean!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Now that's why I like to stay close to the ocean... so I don't have such weird weather and most of all, so my winters aren't that cold and my summers not that hot... Gotta love the ocean!
    Trust me... if it weren't for BME and his family, I would be much closer to the ocean. We are planning to move to Nova Scotia once his kids are out of school, with eventual retirement in California. I'm an ocean lover through and through, so you're preaching to the choir!
    Last edited by nerudite; 22 Dec 2004 at 6:21 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    So right now it's -20C (-4F) at approx. 9:00 a.m. By this afternoon it is supposed to drop down to -30C (-22F). However, the high tomorrow is supposed to +5C (+41F). So in 24 hours there will be a change in temperature of 35C or 63F... sorry, but that is just too weird... even for Edmonton!
    Holy crap! I thought we had it bad here, buffeted by ocean breezes from all sides, with quite big changes in weather within one day. This week we have had polar blasts with strong southerly winds, taking what are supposed to be summer temps down to 12C in the middle of the day! But you have put this into perspective with your weather!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, I try not to whine too much though... otherwise panderson will get on here and kick my arse and tell me to be quiet. No matter how cold it is here, I almost can always take comfort that it's worse in Winterpeg!

(and to prove my theory, it's currently -21C here right now, but -24 in Winnepeg).
    Right here, it is about -10C and light clouds, expecting -20 to -25C tonight, highs about -15C tomorrow.

In the contiguous 48 USA states, International Falls, MN ('Frostbite Falls') is the place that usually has the coldest temp readings. Fairbanks, AK is usually about the coldest place with any appreciable population in the entire USA, although there are other places in Alaska that do get colder.

Is there any 'major' metro area in the USA that normally gets colder than the Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN area?

BTW, the coldest that the Green Bay Packers have ever played in was about -26C (brilliant sunshine and windy) in the 1967 NFL championship game vs the Dallas Cowboys, 1967-12-31, the famous 'Ice Bowl'.

A time-honored cliché here in Wisconsin says that if you don't like the weather, wait a little bit and it'll change - although on my roadtrips, I have found the weather in the Front Range area of Colorado to be wildly varying.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Try....

Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    Right here, it is about -10C and light clouds, expecting -20 to -25C tonight, highs about -15C tomorrow.

In the contiguous 48 USA states, International Falls, MN ('Frostbite Falls') is the place that usually has the coldest temp readings. Fairbanks, AK is usually about the coldest place with any appreciable population in the entire USA, although there are other places in Alaska that do get colder.

Is there any 'major' metro area in the USA that normally gets colder than the Minneapolis/Saint Paul, MN area?

BTW, the coldest that the Green Bay Packers have ever played in was about -26C (brilliant sunshine and windy) in the 1967 NFL championship game vs the Dallas Cowboys, 1967-12-31, the famous 'Ice Bowl'.

A time-honored cliché here in Wisconsin says that if you don't like the weather, wait a little bit and it'll change - although on my roadtrips, I have found the weather in the Front Range area of Colorado to be wildly varying.

Mike
    Gunnison Colorado or Alamosa Colorado........you will see them listed throughout the year as the coldest place in the USA....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Weird ways to go out
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Apr 2013, 12:48 AM
  2. Edmonton's Storm of the Century
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 16 Jul 2004, 5:24 PM