Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The curse of (at?) Windows

Registered
    Aug 2001

The curse of (at?) Windows

Anybody here have problems with Microsoft updates?

Yesterday morning I finally did the one piece of computer maintenance I have put off, thinking it was a bad idea. I installed Service Pack 2. Following this, I was unable to start my computer in anything but safe mode. System restore did not work. I tried several other tricks, but in the end, was forced to take it into the geeks. They have proclaimed the situation as hopeless. It needs to be wiped, and Windows re-installed. Personally, I think the McCrappy security software likely played a role as well. Back to Norton for me.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well... unless you have like 512 Mb of RAM, and an Athlon XP 2000+ or above... I don't think it's recomendable to upgrade Win XP to SP2... or your computer will die.
    Comes from the voice of somebody that can't install it

Actually, my PC is so old that I'll change the current XP for Win 2000, so it works better...

With Micro$oft you learn that, latest doesn't mean better.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    SP2 won't work, even in safe mode?

I'd hate to say it, time for a re-install of the OS. Do a repair/recovery and you *shouldn't lose anything. Do a complete format if you can afford to loose data.

I'm downloading/installing Linux on my laptop tonight. Suse 9.1d distro. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm in process of abandoning M$ for the open-source, stable, bug-free linux.

If you use the computer for Photo Editing, DVD/MP3's, internet, email, and word, excel, etc programs, switch to linux. Pre-packaged programs to do all that and more are available for free with the OS.

Skel, I'm currently running XP w/ all service packs on my PII-300 laptop with 128 MB RAM. stable and fine....just slow. Also got XP w/ all service packs on my AMD 1500XP w/ 512 MB RAM running fine on my desktop.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    This is one area you don't want to get me started. Our home pc has windows ME and it has been a constant headache since we got it. I've had similar problems as yours with the service packs. Unfortnately the Bill Gates business philosphy has spread to other areas.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner?
    [snip] Our home pc has windows ME
    you poor soul. Upgrade to either win2000 or XP (or linux) post haste! ME is a bug filled torture trap.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I downloaded XP's SP2 and it screwed up everything... although it did have some nice features.

After a format and reinstall of the OS, things went better... although the computer seemed a bit laggy. I changed all the graphically intense settings to make things run smoother (getting rid of scrolling menus, bright colors shades, etc.) and things are now running smoother than they ever were.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Lessons I've learned the hardway. I backup my PC's. I don't up do updates on machines that have a specific functin and work (like my video editing machine, works well and I don't want to screw it up and it's not on a network).

I've done more reinstallations of OS than I've had successful major updates. Always backup before one of these major patches just incase. It's never as easy as MS says it is.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sun's out windows down music up
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 23 Apr 2010, 7:55 PM
  2. Red Sox vs Yankees & the curse
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 13 Oct 2004, 11:19 AM