Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Office window graphics - sign?

Registered
    Feb 2004

Office window graphics - sign?

I was wondering if anyone out there has encountered the "new office window graphics"? This is a kind of film adhered to windows that has advertisements.

Check out this site for more info: http://www.thegraphicsdept.com/coldw...ewindownew.htm

Coldwell Bankers is wanting to do this in our city and there are no ordinances pertaining to this, so I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with it and whether or not you allow it. Do you treat it as a sign, even if it's on the inside of the window?

To Sign or Not to Sign?

Under our Municipal Code.....

DEFINITION:
    Window Sign: Any sign that is painted or mounted onto an exterior of a window pane or is hung directly inside the window, including adverstisements for services in the form of decals, emblems, paint, exposed neon, and/or banners within three (3) of the window pane.

Window Sign, temporary indoor - allowed without a permit when all conditions are met:
    1. Temporary indoor window signs include advertisements for services or products in the form of decals, emblems, paint, exposed neon, banners, etc..
    2. Signs shall not exceed 25% of the total of all window area and no portion of such sign shall be more than 20 feet aboce finished grade.
    Temporary windown signs may not be used in windows on more than 2 sides of a business location;
    3. Businesses are encouraged to group signage for maximum window exposure; and
    4. Windows signs such as open/closed, store hours, address, etc., shall be exempt fromt he 25% area limitations.

and it goes on...blah, blah, blah.

But anyways...that's what we do. But then again, I get in trouble when I ask business owners to move their bloody sandwich signs when they are blocking sight distance at intersections...........
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Paraphrased from my code:

windows signs cannot exceed 50% of 8 sq ft or smaller windows.

window signs cannot exceed 20% of 8 sq ft or lager windows.

no permits required.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We would be powerless to stop it. We take the approach of "if its inside, you do what you want." We considered limiting window signs but decided against it because of the enforcement nightmare of the zoning officer going around to every corner store measuring the percent coverage of window signs. It would have affected small, working class store owners more than the chains.

It makes more sense with large chains (especially the examples posted) but small businesses often don't have room for anything other than window signs, and when the window is small sometimes you need to cover a large chunk of it. Some of our most attractive large window signs are actually tattoo shops.

But with examples like these where windows become billboards, we'll have to rethink our strategy. Those signs are very "Minority Report."

We can regulate them in our historic districts, but enforcement is terribly difficult. They have proliferated everywhere else, seemingly.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2002
    From our Town Code:
    SIGN -- A name, identification, display, announcement, declaration, device, demonstration or illustration which is affixed to or painted or represented directly or indirectly upon a building, structure or parcel of property and which directs attention to an object, product, place, person, activity, institution, organization or business.

TEMPORARY SIGN -- The surface used for the purpose of short-term advertising limited to 30 days.

WINDOW SIGN -- A sign maintained in or painted upon a window or which is inside a structure not in or on a window but visible from a parking lot or roadway.

K. No permanent sign erected or maintained in the window of a building and visible from any public or private street or highway shall occupy more than 25% of the area of said window.
    Both of our zoning officers are out today , so I can't tell you right now how we treat temporary window signs.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Yikes! That is awful. Looks like the advertising I see on transit buses and some company cars. Window signs are restricted to 25% of the window in the town I live in. While I don't think it is enforced well, that could garner a violation.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We would be powerless here as well. Many cities restrict window signs to 25%, mainly for aesthetics.

At least those are a little more professional looking than the bright neon window chalk you see on furniture stores, fast-food restaurants, etc. I could definitely see these becoming a new type of billboard though.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    We look at it a bit differently, and people hate us for it. In our business districts we allow the total mount of any signage on the exterior to be no more than 15% of the square footage of the building that faces a public street, but not to exceed 100 square feet. This total includes any signage that is affixed to the exterior of the windows. We don’t regulate anything on the interior of the windows. So you can’t paint a sign on the out side of the window, but you can on the inside of the window.

I have an auto parts store that is all mad at me because they had signage on the interior of the windows, and decided to have it redone. Well instead of removing the old painted signs, they had vinyl signs made, and put on the exterior of the windows, covering the old ones with the width of the glass in between. I stopped in and mentioned that it does need a permit, and that I am worried that I it may exceed their allowable amount, and it did. So now I am the bad guy because of ¼ inch of glass.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    So glad to have found this thread, this is an issue we're currently discussing. Just curious...based on those of you whose cities regulate this (whether successfully or unsuccessfully, in your opinion)...is it worth it? How supportive are your elected officials?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009
    We have those here in Calgary.

They are popping up everywhere because the economy is improving - so everyone is advertising again.

We are in the midst of a review of signage; so I'm unsure how we will deal with them going forward. One thought was to really limit the amount of window signs in a pedestrian area and not care so much in developments that are auto oriented.

The current rule is 25% of the window area or 2 square metres in area - which ever is lesser. If it meets that rule, a permit isn't required. Anything more would require a permit and a full review.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    We are in the 25% category as well, except we don't seem to have an enforcement issue. Most people keep to this on their own, and a simple friendly letter letting people know that otherwise wouldn't seems to work. With enough people adhering to the limits and nobody getting an advantage over another, people seem genuinely happy. We refreshed our sign ordinance last summer and most of the committee was small business owners. They were all supportive of these limits.

No permits required for these types of signs.

On a related note, what we are seeing more often are the banners that businesses hang approximately a foot or two back from the actual glass. I've seen this a lot with cell phone companies. They don't bother me because the windows remain transparent, light filters in, and there is generally one sign so its not generally too busy for the eye.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Good point, pinkplanner. Something to consider.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2011, 1:59 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 16 Mar 2011, 5:31 PM
  3. Signs / billboards Window sign or display?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Nov 2009, 12:51 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Apr 2008, 11:17 AM
  5. Graphics
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Oct 2001, 12:50 AM