Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning + real estate = only USC?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Planning + real estate = only USC?

Is USC the only school that you can get a dual degree in planning and real estate?

I've also heard MANY say "If you want to make money, don't go into planning".

If I'm someone who wants to own and operate a private planning/architectural firm at some point in my lifetime, what degree am I looking for?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Kobayashi
    Is USC the only school that you can get a dual degree in planning and real estate?

If I'm someone who wants to own and operate a private planning/architectural firm at some point in my lifetime, what degree am I looking for?

1. York University in Toronto has an MBA program which focusses on land development. That probably doesn't help you much, unless there is a distance-education option (there may be)

2. Not in the public sector anyway, unless you stick it out and eventually become a director

3. There are many paths to this goal but I would suggest that, unless you have innate business skills, you will want to consider some sort of business management degree.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I believe Cornell University has a joint Planning/Real Estate Development graduate degree program.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    MIT too facilitates joint planning/real estate development degrees. Because many of the courses are cross listed, one can matriculate into one program and enjoy the pedagogical benefits of the other with no additional cost.
    I considered USC's planning/development/policy programs for undergrad but the curriculum was a little too West Coast oriented for me; I really wanted to focus on urban infill and revitalization of rust belt cities, an issue area that USC seemed to neglect.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Lots of Places

There are lots of places to get a joint degree- the one I am most familiar with is MIT, where they have a 2 year planning degree and a 1 year MS in Real Estate Development- don't know if you save time by doing both at once, though.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It has been a while since I checked it our, but I seem to recall the UW-Madison offering a program. You might also look at the University of Colorado. I spoke with a student pursuing both, but I am not sure if it was a joint degree.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    It has been a while since I checked it our, but I seem to recall the UW-Madison offering a program. You might also look at the University of Colorado. I spoke with a student pursuing both, but I am not sure if it was a joint degree.
    I would second the University of Colorado Real Estate "emphasis" in the Planning program......great adjunct faculty and some of the best classes ever
    If I were still in Colorado, I would take the Real Estate Finance class that I missed....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004

real estate degrees. . . .

I recently completed my MS In planning and have considered a degree in real estate. . .anyway, the best resource I found was this:

http://www.naiop.org/careers/universities.cfm

It seems that most of the plain real estate programs are paired down MBA's with a real estate focus. Also like MBA's they seem to be really expensive degrees, I'm holding out for a job offereing tuition reimbursment before I consider another degree. . .

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Portland State has a grad certificate program in Real Estate Development.. they've been working on expanding it. Not sure how lose that matches what you're looking for.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the great advice.

Cornell, MIT, York? I haven't done the research yet, but i'm under the impression that these are VERY expensive schools. The whole reason i'm excluding USC is based on the fact i'm assuming I won't get enough money to attend.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Try UNC-Chapel Hill. The planning school & business school offered a joint masters degree (planning/real estate) when I was there. That was some time ago, but it may be worth checking out.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the great advice.

Cornell, MIT, York? I haven't done the research yet, but i'm under the impression that these are VERY expensive schools. The whole reason i'm excluding USC is based on the fact i'm assuming I won't get enough money to attend.
    Texas A&M has a Master of Science in Land Development. I just found out I was accepted to it but I'm not sure yet if I will go. It might not be as prestigious as the others, but it's not as pricey either.

As far as money, I'd say personal satisfaction is more important than the size of your paycheck, but it is true that planning is not a terribly lucrative field.

For starting your own firm, I would think that your background/work experience would be more important than what kind of degree you have.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wal-Mart real estate and planning department
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 05 Aug 2011, 6:16 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 5:16 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 01 Apr 2008, 4:33 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Sep 2006, 10:45 AM