Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Non-planning/chick books

Registered
    Sep 1999

Non-planning/chick books

I just finished Janet Evanovich's "Metrogirl". Didn't find it as good as the Stephanie Plum series. Opinions? Recommendations for similar funny mystery books?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I just finished Janet Evanovich's "Metrogirl". Didn't find it as good as the Stephanie Plum series. Opinions? Recommendations for similar funny mystery books?
    The Tarzan of the Apes series has a few chicks in it. Sometimes it is a mystery how the stories are gonna turn out too.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by munibulldog
    The Tarzan of the Apes series has a few chicks in it. Sometimes it is a mystery how the stories are gonna turn out too.
    Uh-uh, I have all the ERB Tarzan/Pellucidar/Mars, etc. books and they are SO predictable!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Edgar Rice Burroughs rocks AOK.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by munibulldog
    Edgar Rice Burroughs rocks AOK.
    Bet your's aren't the 60-cent editions from the '60's!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Bet your's aren't the 60-cent editions from the '60's!
    I had the entire Mars series as a teen. Not the 60-cent editions but they would be more than 2 decades old by now except that my low-life brother "borrowed" them and never returned them. When I told him he had to replace them or give me the money to replace them, he laughed in my face. That there is a hangin' offense!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I only have a few that I found in used bookstores, the printed price on the covers range from $0.75 to $0.95.

The Tarzan books are my all time favorite fantasy genre reading. I also like anything by Jules Verne.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Have you heard of the Southern Vampire series? One of the wanabees keeps talking about this series set in Louisianna.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've just read through the second book of the Stephanie Plum series, and I'll probably start the third sometime soon. If you like this series, you may try the Sue Grafton alphabet series (A is for Alibi, etc.) or the Karen Kijewski's Kat Colorado series (Kat Scratch Fever, etc.). I like Kijewski's series quite a bit and look forward to more books (hopefully!).

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    Have you heard of the Southern Vampire series? One of the wanabees keeps talking about this series set in Louisianna.
    I am just thrilled that you are now reading these. I must go to the library today and look for some new material. The covers are what intrigued me to read them first prior to finding out what they were about.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    I am just thrilled that you are now reading these. I must go to the library today and look for some new material. The covers are what intrigued me to read them first prior to finding out what they were about.
    The wannabe gave me another book too...time travel no less...."Goddess of the Sea" by P.C. Cast. Sounds right down our alley. Author also wrote "Goddess by Mistake". Have fun at the library.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I liked Phillip Jose Farmer's "Nothing Burns in Hell". Farmer is famous for "ghost writing" books for and by others (ie Kilgore Trout, Kenneth Robeson). In this mystery book he uses every detective novel cliche and some literary ones to create an odd cast and an odd mystery. Cheesy, but a good read.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Okay, I just read 2 very chick books by Julie Garwood. I am surprised how much I enjoyed them. She is definitely a chick kind of book author. I can't wait to get the 4 in the Southern Vampire series from SC.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I just picked up a book from 3 up and coming Scottish women authors. Total chick book. Scottish Girls About Town I haven't begun to read it yet though. I am really looking forward to it. One of the authors is Jenny Colgan, who wrote Amanda's Wedding, a very witty book.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I just staerted Confessions of a Shopaholic...its a series from what I understand and I just started the first one...pretty entertaining...total chick book...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'd classify "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" as a borderline chick book. Pretty good read, final conclusion of the book was predictable, the person who killed the dog, not so much.

Basic premise and story line is that an autistic boy finds his neighbour's dog dead in the yard and tries to figure out who killed it. The story is told as a first person narrative in the form of a diary.

Quick read.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I just picked up a book from 3 up and coming Scottish women authors. Total chick book. Scottish Girls About Town I haven't begun to read it yet though. I am really looking forward to it. One of the authors is Jenny Colgan, who wrote Amanda's Wedding, a very witty book.
    Let me know how they are.
    You need to read the other funny vampire series. First book is "Undead and Unwed". Good mental candy.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I just staerted Confessions of a Shopaholic...its a series from what I understand and I just started the first one...pretty entertaining...total chick book...
    Oh, I love Sophie Kinsella. She is fabulous. I have read her latest 2 books, Shopaholic and Sister and Can you keep a secret? You will love her. If you like her, you may want to check out Jenny Colgan who wrote Amanda's Wedding. So hilarious!

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Hello

Marianne Keyes. She's an Irish author and very popular here in the UK. I would say that her writing is much better than Jenny Colgan for instance.

Clare Chambers. I would really highly recommend a novel called Learning to Swim, if you're in the mood for an uplifting, very funny girly book.

Helen Fielding - Cause Celeb is really good, but got completely overshadowed by Bridget Jones. In my opinion it's much better.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I read "Liberating Paris" by Linda Bloodworth Thomason. I got it because the review I read said it was about a town that is affected by the opening of a new superstore. Well, that is just background, and it is a real chick book, about a group of friends and their approaching middle age and their past. It's been circulating among some of my friends, and they all enjoyed it. I can see this one as a movie.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    For anyone who likes mysteries with a bit of humor thrown in, try the Mommy-Track series of mysteries by Ayelet Waldman. The adventures of a working-mom detective. (the working-mom part is more realistic than other working-mom mysteries I've read...)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Has anyone else read "The #1 Ladies Detective Agency" and its sequels?

I'm on the second one and they are very entertaining.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Oh, I love Sophie Kinsella. She is fabulous. I have read her latest 2 books, Shopaholic and Sister and Can you keep a secret? You will love her. If you like her, you may want to check out Jenny Colgan who wrote Amanda's Wedding. So hilarious!
    Cool, thanks. I really liked that book and need to get another...I thought it was a series of some sort...just rarely get time to read..that book I read in a few days though it kept me interested...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Missy
    Hello

Marianne Keyes. She's an Irish author and very popular here in the UK. I would say that her writing is much better than Jenny Colgan for instance.

Clare Chambers. I would really highly recommend a novel called Learning to Swim, if you're in the mood for an uplifting, very funny girly book.

Helen Fielding - Cause Celeb is really good, but got completely overshadowed by Bridget Jones. In my opinion it's much better.

Good recommendations. I will have to look for Marianne Keyes. I just know that I really enjoy Jenny Colgan but if Marianne is better, I will try her out. Helen Fielding is a good author.

Jaxspra - Sophie Kinsella does have the Shopaholic series and they are lots of fun.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I just finished And Now You Can Go by Vendela Vida. I wasn't expecting to like it, but I did.

Vida's married to Dave Eggers, whom many people don't like and I also wasn't expecting to like, but did.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Mar 2009, 3:04 AM
  2. Planning history books
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Jul 2007, 10:03 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Apr 2005, 6:35 PM
  4. Planning Text Books
    Student Commons