Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: Hello from Doug

Registered
    Dec 2004

Hello from Doug

I live in Manorville, NY and I am the President of the local civic group. As our area has the most open space left in the county, we are constantly under siege by developers. Planned retirement communities seem to be the way to achieve the highest density projects. Unfortunately, most of these projects have required a change of zone application from A1, A2 or A5 residential, (one house per one acre, one house per two, etc.) There is currently a moratorium on new PRC and multifamily developments but much damage has already been done as a result of bad or no planning.
    The newest idea being bandied about is Business Improvement Districts. I'm not sure that these are appropriate for rural areas. They seem more of an idea suited for urban areas. Can anybody educate me regarding the value and effectiveness of BID's in rural areas?

Doug

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Welcome aboard

SGB could probally point you in the right direction.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome to the board Dougo. We have a number of registered members that have BID experience, but how would you define "rural" in your case?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome.
    Your question is quite interesting,
    could this apply specifically to unincorporated(but named) hamlet / crossroad areas ?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dougo357
    Can anybody educate me regarding the value and effectiveness of BID's in rural areas? Doug
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    SGB could probally point you in the right direction.
    No pressure. No pressure.

Doug - Which Manorville are you in? I love this state - we have two! One in Suffolk and one in Ulster county.

While I don't have direct experience with BIDs, I have seen them work in downtowns in rural areas. A lot depends on what the community wants to accomplish, and the leadership (board and staff) of the BID.

Tell us more about Manorville's downtown. And welcome from the suburbs of the Adirondacks!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from under the flight path of Tyndell AFB, the Florida panhandle.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hi Doug!

In a previous life, I worked in a BID. Two questions: What would you like to do that you think a BID can help you with? How many business would be served by this BID?

The thing with a BID is that in order to be successful and to make it worth the effort, you need some density or be large enough to collect enough revenue from the additional tax to support some sort of staff. So, you're talking a good chunk of change IMHO. I'd be happy to chat with you...I work in a county here in NY that is both urban and rural...so I'd love to swap rural economic development ideas.

Oh and welcome from Tech Valley
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from the Washington DC metro area!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Dougo, nice to see ya. Welcome from the state in which the good Reverend Phelps pickets funerals.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome dougo..

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Welkommen...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Welcome Doug I hope you enjoy your stay.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Welcome aboard. Sounds you like you will have some good questions for folks here. If you don't know it yet, Citizen Planners is subforum especially for folks like you.

Registered
    Dec 2004

Manorville

Quote Originally posted by SGB
    No pressure. No pressure.

Doug - Which Manorville are you in? I love this state - we have two! One in Suffolk and one in Ulster county.

While I don't have direct experience with BIDs, I have seen them work in downtowns in rural areas. A lot depends on what the community wants to accomplish, and the leadership (board and staff) of the BID.

Tell us more about Manorville's downtown. And welcome from the suburbs of the Adirondacks!
    I live in Suffolk County, Town Of Brookhaven, I would love to move to the Adirondacks. A good friend of mine has a beautiful cabin in Scroon Lake.
    I live in Brookhaven Township. Brookhaven is the third largest township in NYS. 480,000 residents. The Town is in the process of changes their zoning codes and the process has become quite contentious.
    I will, at a later time, go into more details but I am preparing for a presentation tonight in front of a civic group. There is a scheme to float a Natural Gas Terminal in the middle of the LI Sound. Residents are concerned. Check it out at www.broadwaterenergy.com
    Doug

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Hi Doug!

In a previous life, I worked in a BID. Two questions: What would you like to do that you think a BID can help you with? How many business would be served by this BID?

The thing with a BID is that in order to be successful and to make it worth the effort, you need some density or be large enough to collect enough revenue from the additional tax to support some sort of staff. So, you're talking a good chunk of change IMHO. I'd be happy to chat with you...I work in a county here in NY that is both urban and rural...so I'd love to swap rural economic development ideas.

Oh and welcome from Tech Valley
    Sorry it took so long to get back. May I blame it on the holidays? Your answer regarding BID's is exactly the way I feel about them. We have a councilman that is pushing for these in small hamlets, Manorville and Center Moriches. Manorville has a very small commercially zoned area. It's basically one new shopping center with a second adjacent one planned. These businesses are already paying large rents and I'm certain that they would not want to join a BID at an additional cost to their business.
    The Center Moriches BID seems a bit self serving. One business owner is in need of more parking. He is in favor of the BID to help him achieve his goal. This is also a small hamlet. I feel that there is an underlying motivation for our councilman to embrace these BID's. There is currently new zoning being proposed for the CM area. The idea is good. Mixed use buildings intended to facilitate walkable communities. Unfortunately, this new zoning could bring on a more urban environment in what is now a small, bucolic hamlet. These hamlets fall under the jurisdiction of the Town Of Brookhaven. They have an excelent website:
    www.Brookhaven.org. Check it out.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Greets Doug from the Sunshine State!

Closed thread