Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Greetings from the Inter-Mountain West

Greetings from the Inter-Mountain West

I am an economic development planner for a Council of Governments in the IM West. I entered planning the long way around after many years in state and local government working in community and economic development, housing and energy efficiency programs. I discovered that I really like planning mainly because it is so interdisciplinary. I decided to research educational programs in land use planning which has led to many discoveries. For instance, I have discovered that I am eligible to take a test to obtain AICP certification. Hmm. I am now happily reading all about synoptic planning (isn't that the kind that puts you to sleep?), GAM and gant charts and such.

I also have enrolled in the UC Davis Extension Certificate program in Land Use & Environmental planning. This program suits me very well for a number of reasons and both the curriculum and instructors are top notch. But, I am curious as to the professions few of a "Planning Certificate". Does anyone out there have one? Have you hired a person with one? Know anyone with one? I'm looking forward to joining the fray. $$

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome and thanks for registering!

My firm has a few folks with planning certificates. We find them helpful especially for our civil engineers that sit on a client's local planning commissions. I'm sure you will find it helpful and rewarding.

Oh.... and gant charts..... zzzzzzzzzzz

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from a previous IM West resident (really a student, later a ski bum, then a student again)
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Inter mountain west, is that between the west slope and plains? Vail, etc?

You definitely need some qualifications to break into the field. To survive, you will need sharp claws, sharp teeth, and calloused knuckles. Plus a lot of patience, forebearing and compassion for the common man.

Welcome to the board!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Follow the $$
    ....[snip]... UC Davis Extension Certificate program in Land Use & Environmental planning. ...[snip]...
    Welcome from the Florida panhandle. And, BTW, be sure to ask Dr. Jeff L. about his flameout in Santa Cruz County... Boo Waaa HaaaaHaaaHaaaa.....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Welcome to the boards! Hope you find this site interesting and fun enough to stick around
    Cheers!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome, from an economic developer on the Front Range.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Thanks for the welcome

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Welcome, from an economic developer on the Front Range.
    I enjoy all the helpful info. I must say you folks are a bit negative when it comes to discussing jobs, though. Are you all located in cities with University planning programs? I have a definite advantage in living in one of the forgotten states as there is more job availability. Also it snowed last night and so I am going skiing all weekend.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome, from the Adirondack foothills of New York.

We're not always negative about our jobs. Just most of the time.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Welcome from a stone's throw from the West Coast...I mean, a figurative stone's throw from the Pacific Ocean...aww, heck. Just call it "hi from California".

Welcome from the mountainous part of the Hoosier state.

We're not always griping about our jobs: sometimes we gripe about other people's jobs.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Follow the $$
    I enjoy all the helpful info. I must say you folks are a bit negative when it comes to discussing jobs, though. Are you all located in cities with University planning programs? I have a definite advantage in living in one of the forgotten states as there is more job availability. Also it snowed last night and so I am going skiing all weekend.
    Do you mean negative about the jobs we have, negative about the availability of jobs? I have enjoyed most of the work I have done. On the other hand, it can be very difficult to find the right job. This is especially true for people who do not want to move around much.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Welcome from the best city in Missouri, Kansas City that is.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Do you mean negative about the jobs we have, negative about the availability of jobs? I have enjoyed most of the work I have done. On the other hand, it can be very difficult to find the right job. This is especially true for people who do not want to move around much.
    I actually was referring to negative references about job availability rather than being negative about your own jobs. Your love and interest in the planning field comes through pretty clearly with just those little happy gripes. You might be a little more encouraging to newcomers in the planning arena, though. From my perspective there seems to be a lot of planning jobs out there. Are they perfect jobs? Well, I've actually had two very close to perfect jobs in my career. In one I was a statewide program manager in a field I enjoyed very much. Then.... I was part of a three dept./three agency merger. Boy, was that a mess! And now I have a job I like very much with a lot of flexibility, decision making authority and very visual accomplishments. But...(isn't there always a but), our dept. budget took a big hit last year, our benefits were cut, leadership has changed...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Welcome from the place where the Great Lakes meets the prairies -- Chicago!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from the Washington DC metro area.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Greetings from the state where winter only comes from two weeks to mock us (south-central Texas). Seriously, my forecast high today is the high 70s with dew points in the upper 60s.

I think if you really ask us, most of us are at least content at our jobs, not jump-up-and-down happy, but content. A lot of us use this site as a place to anonymously rant about our cities, which might be why you're getting that vibe from us. Also, a few of us have recently gone through some very bad job situations. Those are isolated incidents for the most part.

It's tough to find the "right"job, especially in a profession where one local election can completely shift the attitude of the city.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Welcome from one regionaler to another regional planner type! What is this snow you speak of? Anyway, welcome. You can always look into public administration degrees for additional education rather than a certificate in planning since some of the PA degree programs offer it as well.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Inter-jurisdictional relationships
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Jul 2013, 9:29 AM
  2. Inter-departmental beefs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Sep 2012, 1:01 PM
  3. Inter-library loan
    Friday Afternoon Club