Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best program for overseas work?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004

Best program for overseas work?

Hi,

I've been thinking lately that I would really like to find a job overseas after completing a master's in planning...It seems like Latin America and Asia would be ripe ground for urban planning, particularly in areas that are considered 'developing' or 'third world.' I know some schools, like UT-Austin have programs that focus on Latin America, but are there other programs or concentrations that would prepare someone to be a planner? Does your average planning degree prepare you for this kind of work?

Registered
    Oct 2001

I know a place with jobs like that.

I worked for a company that did a lot of urban renewal oveseas. Mostly just the demolition pre-construction phases. I found the pay to be meager, the hours to be long, conditions harsh, and my quarters were often primitive and prone to being blown up. But the work was exciting and the locals were quite annimated whenever my "planning" team would arrive. You might give contact my old firm as I understand they are still hiring.

All kidding aside...look into the military service, civilian federal government service at a US base overseas, the state department, Halliburton, and other like firms which operate overseas on civil infrastructure rebuilding and authority establishment projects. Good luck...I'd like to work oveseas again someday myself.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    EG may be onto the right path. Although I worked for the same firm as he did, I would be reluctant to recommend it. If you do try it, I would recommend the Civil Affairs branch.

There are many US-based firms (besides Halliburton) that have international practices. You may check these out.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by urbanleopold
    Hi,

I've been thinking lately that I would really like to find a job overseas after completing a master's in planning...It seems like Latin America and Asia would be ripe ground for urban planning, particularly in areas that are considered 'developing' or 'third world.' I know some schools, like UT-Austin have programs that focus on Latin America, but are there other programs or concentrations that would prepare someone to be a planner? Does your average planning degree prepare you for this kind of work?
    I think UW in Seattle offers some kind of dual degree in urban planning and latin american studies....or maybe it was UCLA....I would suggest you check both their websites.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Working overseas
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 09 Oct 2009, 2:24 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jan 2008, 11:06 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Aug 2005, 8:18 AM
  4. American chains overseas
    Friday Afternoon Club