Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Global Warming?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Global Warming?

UAE sees snow for first time ever

Reminds me of something that one of my more brainiac professors in GIS school said about global warming: "It's like we are fleas on the butt of a dog trying to figure out which way the dog is going." He scoffed at the idea that we could know for sure that global warming was real or that it was really due to human activities, etc. We also had record cold temps here in Fairfield recently. Brrrr. I really don't like being cold.

Perhaps what we have is some lesser version of "Nuclear Winter" -- like the cold summer after Krakatoa when Shelly wrote Frankenstein because it was too cold to go outside so her and her friends got together and had a fiction writing contest/club type thing. Perhaps all the fossil fuels we are burning is lower temperatures due to all the crap in the air blocking sunlight, the way the soot and ash from Krakatoa lowered world temperatures for a time.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Of course both sides of the global warming "debate" are guilty of quoting a single datum as evidence for the reality or unreality of global warming. But what's important is large-scale trends that come only from combining tens of thousands of data points together. (This is the distinction between climate and weather.) When looked at in this manner, practically every reputable climatologist sees global warming, and this has become even more concrete with recent satellite data. Even the skeptics claim that the warming, while real, cannot be proven to be anthropogenic (although to me their positions appears to be inconsistent over time). At this point, it will take a lot more than snow in one place at one time to reverse the last century's accumulated data.

I am not a climatologist, but I try to keep up to date on this issue.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    UAE sees snow for first time ever

Reminds me of something that one of my more brainiac professors in GIS school said about global warming: "It's like we are fleas on the butt of a dog trying to figure out which way the dog is going." He scoffed at the idea that we could know for sure that global warming was real or that it was really due to human activities, etc. We also had record cold temps here in Fairfield recently. Brrrr. I really don't like being cold.

Perhaps what we have is some lesser version of "Nuclear Winter" -- like the cold summer after Krakatoa when Shelly wrote Frankenstein because it was too cold to go outside so her and her friends got together and had a fiction writing contest/club type thing. Perhaps all the fossil fuels we are burning is lower temperatures due to all the crap in the air blocking sunlight, the way the soot and ash from Krakatoa lowered world temperatures for a time.

I'd always heard that "global warming" was really a misnomer, anyway. What's changing is our long-term climate, but day-to-day weather has become more variable.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    I'd always heard that "global warming" was really a misnomer, anyway. What's changing is our long-term climate, but day-to-day weather has become more variable.

Basically.

Global warming is really a bad term for a global system with more energy in the atmosphere itself. The result of this extra energy shows as a warming trend in the earths oceans. On the continental mass' it results in tremendous and less predictable weather.

Why?

Because the air and the amount of moisture it can carry with the added heat means there is an increased chance for precipitation in some areas but not in others. So a place that has the potential for a lot of rain, might see more, and say, the deserts of Chile (?(Atacama)) might get even more dry. The only guarantee is an increase in freakish weather outside of that measured in the last 100 or so years of records.

Or

Maybe GOD just hates certain people and animals more and is going to visit freakish weather on them just to prove he can.

I think I will stick with my first rational description.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Nov 2004
    There is a lot of local warming going on as well, caused by cutting down trees and putting rooftops and asphalt in place of foliage. Trees "exhale" water and oxygen when they "breathe" (don't know the propert term), and the water vapor in the air surrounding the tree canopy absorbs a lot of heat. The leaves themselves absorb a small amount of heat energy as well. The result is that tree canopies act as air conditioners by aborbing solar radiation heat.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Global warming... They just could pick a worse name to popularize something based on half truths and pump it up with alarmism.
    Climate change; duh obvious; it happens all the time! It's happened before, and it'll continue to happen. Climate is never stable in the long term it's variable. And it varies due to a large amount of variables besides possible anthropogenic activities.

I personally believe that anthopogenic activities have little effect on the global scale (comparing at least with the effect of solar energy output variations); but on the local scale it has way more effect. The excessive amount of concrete and closed up spaces with concentrations of gasses that capture heat through infrared radiation (AKA "greenhouse gasses") in the lower atmosphere surounding cities, creates local heating and eventual local climate changes, and "freaky weather".

None the less, the ground observation posts and climatologic stations appear in way too many cases to be terribly misplaced (i.e. in an airport, other concrete jungles, and places with bad ventilation) add that to neglect on the instrumentation and recording; you have too much error to do world wid averages with ground stations; besides that the coverage of certain areas of the world (undeveloped countries, and the sea) is very poor.
    Sattelites on the otehr hand cover more area, without much problems, and there are less sattelites, hence diminishing the error. This gives a disparity of the ground station world wide average and the sattelite temperature records of several degrees.

As MZ mentioned, the Krakatoa eruption of 1816 (the year without summer), lead to a short world wide climatological change; just imagine if dozens of volcanoes started erupting over a period of a few years, and not just the obove ground , but also the submarine volcanoes that can eventually create hotspots on the ocean.

So, since the climate has so many variables, can we actually put the blame on anthopogenic activities for this event of climate change? Warmings have happened before, also galciations, and none were produced by man; so why this one? Rapid climate changes have also occured naturally before, now if everybody wants to close their eyes and put all the blame on us, that's just stupid. Sure, things can change, and it would be better for us to lower the emmisions of "greenhouse gasses" but to diminish the Urban Heat Island effect; that also needs to be battled through urban planning, so that cities have more parks and open space where air can flow easily and cool it down better. Otherwise heat waves will become a major problem.

Damn.. I guess this post is my one and only MZ-style post of the year.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Are increased levels of UV radiation in the southern hemisphere anthropogenic?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Duke, that makes SO much sense. Thanks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 11:05 AM
  2. Replies: 55
    Last post: 19 Oct 2007, 1:41 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Apr 2007, 12:36 PM
  4. Replies: 25