Urban planning community

Poll results: How much should the US give?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The US should pay for the entire disaster and rebuilding effort.

2 5.26%
  • The US should pay an amount based upon our GNP as a % of the world GNP.

6 15.79%
  • The US should pay what the Bush administration says we should.

2 5.26%
  • The US should worry about the US and not pay a dime, Dagnabit!

1 2.63%
  • The US should pay as much as we can afford and understand it will add to our deficit.

11 28.95%
  • The US should let the UN decide what our share should be.

3 7.89%
  • The US should promise alot and then welsh on the deal.

1 2.63%
  • The US should have its spokespeople say "What disaster dude?" for the next year.

1 2.63%
  • The US should rely on its internal disaster relief experts and follow their recommendations.

7 18.42%
  • I have another opinion....

4 10.53%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Much Disaster Relief Should the US Give?

Registered
    Oct 2001

How Much Disaster Relief Should the US Give?

Being the US is a little like being the small town Doctor who makes more than everyone else in town. Everyone is always watching you as they pass you the donation basket in church. They wonder "Will you give your share?" Everyone has an idea of what your share is also. They know that rich people are stingy (UN Spokespeople Love Uncle) despite what the facts say. Most of those poor opinions are based upon what the observer makes (less) and what he thinks the rich Doctor makes (expectations are often higher than reality).

So, with class, politics, race and human nature all in the mix how much should the US give?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    As much as possible; just like other countries; but also adjusted to the GNP.
    Of course, it's understandable that the US wouldn't want to deepen the deficit; and it'd be foolish to blame the US for giving less because of the deficit, since afterall the deficit problem affects the world economy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The "world" seems to have this sense that it is the responsibility of the "developed countries" to bail people out whenever there is any sort of disaster. Much of that assumed responsibility falls on the Etats Unis. Rather than be grateful for what is given, many people start out with this expectation and then complain that they want more. Welcome to the Welfare Planet.

Can somebody remind me how much money Tuvalu pledged after the Loma Prieta Earthquake? Whatever happened to all of the food, tents, generators, and medical supplies Sri Lanka sent to the people made homeless by the hurricanes in Florida? The U.S. should at least match those donations.

It does not matter what we give. It will never be enough for those who love to use the "poor nation" card. The U.S., I think I have heard, has now said that the government will send $350 million in relief. Many of our companies, organizations, and citizens will send money and supplies on their own. I would feel safe guessing that, in total, over $1 billion in aid will come from the U.S. Of course, it will only be reported as only $350 million.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    The "world" seems to have this sense that it is the responsibility of the "developed countries" to bail people out whenever there is any sort of disaster. Much of that assumed responsibility falls on the Etats Unis. Rather than be grateful for what is given, many people start out with this expectation and then complain that they want more. Welcome to the Welfare Planet.

Can somebody remind me how much money Tuvalu pledged after the Loma Prieta Earthquake? Whatever happened to all of the food, tents, generators, and medical supplies Sri Lanka sent to the people made homeless by the hurricanes in Florida? The U.S. should at least match those donations.

It does not matter what we give. It will never be enough for those who love to use the "poor nation" card. The U.S., I think I have heard, has now said that the government will send $350 million in relief. Many of our companies, organizations, and citizens will send money and supplies on their own. I would feel safe guessing that, in total, over $1 billion in aid will come from the U.S. Of course, it will only be reported as only $350 million.
    You hit that nail sqaurely on its head. Plus, let's not forget the military, civilain, and NGO people flying there right now from the US to help out. Plus, I'd remind folks the US has gotten very busy in making personal donations to relief efforts. It's times like this I am proudest of my country.

I hope we don't end up creating Tsunami Millionaires like we did with 9-11.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    It does not matter what we give. It will never be enough for those who love to use the "poor nation" card.
    They will be happy and feel we have Given Enough when they are as rich as we used to be and we are as poor as they were before the tsunami. And never mind that when you are given that kind of wealth rather than building it for yourself, you are unlikely to be able to hold onto it and it will surely be squandered.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Given our steady digging of ourself deeper and deeper into the whole (current account deficit and government deficit) we are hardly a wealthy country in real respectrs. Let the Chinese and Japanese and Europeans pay more

(Not that I am saying that we shouldn't throw in quite a bit. Just that our wealth is an increasingly unsustainable illusion)

Registered
    May 2004
    I really didn't notice India or any of the other countrys sending aid to Florida this year.

I can only try to understand the scope of death there, but money wont by back life.

I have no objection to aid in food and shelter, but thease things seem to turn into christmas for the greedy.

I just wanted to voice those points.

Bob

Registered
    May 2003
    To be fair, this is a humanitarian disaster that is unparalleled in the human experience by all except war. $350 million is only 350 dollars per person who was left homeless by this thing. The 9/11 funds were mostly about rewarding families of those sacraficed. But all of those families went to bed that night in their own beds with plenty of food and all of the wounded had accessable medical care. If nothing was done they would have survived. Many hundereds of thousands of the victims of the tsunami will not survive the week if aid is not gotten to them.

Since this country often claims itself to be a Christian country perhaps it should examine its Christian responsibility to help those in need without qualification.

By the way, Japan has pledged $500 million in aid.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Since this country often claims itself to be a Christian country perhaps it should examine its Christian responsibility to help those in need without qualification.
    I cannot recall ever hearing an official of the executive branch of the US government claiming that ours is a "Christian Country." Perhaps this is overstatement.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Like personal finanaces, spend within your budget. I will not be happy to see additional borrowing for charitable donations.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

In the Charlotte Observer [once again I am not smart enough to provide links] India has said "Thanks but no thanks, we will handle it ourselves." I can't help but wonder what the reasoning is behind this sentiment. As to how much the US should give, like always we will probably give much that is not counted in official reports through organizations like the Red Cross and religous charities. Yet the rest of the world doesn't think we give enough.

Registered
    May 2003
    It should also be noted that our entire contribution is something like a week and a half in Iraq.

Registered
    May 2004
    When are they going to find this disaster in the Bible Code or the Nostradamus Quatrains?

Bob

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nighthawk1959
    In the Charlotte Observer [once again I am not smart enough to provide links]
    Off-topic:
    When you write your reply, there is a button along the top of the reply box that looks like a globe (as in "world wide web", ). If you click that, the first box lets you put in a name for the link and after you click "ok" the second box accepts the url. I usually copy and paste titles from the article and then copy and paste the url. You need two windows open to do that, though -- one in cyburbia and one for the article.

Registered
    May 2003
    One percent of the cost of the Iraq/Afghan war.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    We can spend billions for peoples "freedom"... but spend only a fraction of that saving lives....our whole foreign policy is just a tradgedy.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that it is impressive that UNICEF raised the same amount in two days as it did all the previous year.

As for how much should the Government give, a lot. But I also feel that we as individuals who can afford to contribute should.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I think India is refusing aid to some islands they have always refused access to. They have an airbase there or something. I only read a snippet on that.

I'll echo others sentiments that US foreign policy is crap. I wish we could send more, but US spending is not logical.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Sandra Bullock - Gives her second million to the American Red Cross.

Just when you have Hollywierd pegged as totally self-absorbed they go and screw up your pre-conceived notions.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    And what do you do with this ass?

Man Pleads Guilty in Tsunami Death E-Mail Case

Mon Jan 3, 9:15 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British man admitted Monday to sending hoax emails to friends and relatives of people missing since the Asian tsunami.

Christopher Pierson pleaded guilty to sending more than 30 emails to worried relatives, saying their loved ones had been confirmed dead, after they posted their details on the Web Site of TV station Sky News.

Pierson, 37, from Ruskington in Lincolnshire, eastern England, was to be detained until January 24, an official at London's Horseferry Road Magistrates Court said.

Pierson pleaded guilty to charges of malicious communication and causing a public nuisance after police seized computer equipment at the weekend.

Pierson is accused of posing as a British official from the "Foreign Office Bureau" in Thailand in his emails. All the messages came from one bogus email address, ukgovfoffice@aol.com.

Sky News said it was "disgusted" that its Web site had been abused and contacted police as soon as it found out.

The death toll from the tsunami, triggered by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake off western Indonesia a week ago, stood at almost 144,000 Monday, including at least 40 Britons.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2004

well.....

Isn't it our $$ that make sure no nation ever again invades another nation....don't forget to count that money we spend on the world's behalf.....(excluding Africa (minus Nigeria) of course.... ) I for one am glad to see out Navy used for something other than training.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    You hit that nail sqaurely on its head. Plus, let's not forget the military, civilain, and NGO people flying there right now from the US to help out. Plus, I'd remind folks the US has gotten very busy in making personal donations to relief efforts. It's times like this I am proudest of my country.

I hope we don't end up creating Tsunami Millionaires like we did with 9-11.
    I agree. Our government's cash contribution is only a small part of the total donation for disaster relief, and that doesn't even take into account the troops we've sent to restore order and security and deliver food and water.

Does anyone have an idea how much tsunami-related donations has come in that was donated by Americans to charities and not-for-profits?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Sentence him to spending 6 months helping with the disaster relief in some of the hardest hit areas -- sleeping in a tent and the whole nine yards.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Two words: Shoot it.
    Or maybe send him to jail one night... I bet his ass won't live through it... (specially if he drops his soap in the shower)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I ticked the "Whatever the Bush Administration determines ....." option. It is a donation after all. I think sensitivities have been pricked by bureaucrats working for the aid agencies stating some developed countries have been stingy - I assume it is one of their tasks to maximise the income of their respective agencies and it seems to have been effective to this point though I suspect long term damage that may payback when they come collecting for less popular causes.

An interesting government pledge has been getting publicity in Australia this week - East Timor is giving Indonesia $50,000 US and organising a collections from citizens. This shows a generosity of spirit given the govt. sanctioned vandalism the East Timorise still have to put right since gaining independence from Indonesia.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 May 2011, 8:53 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Nov 2009, 12:05 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Oct 2006, 4:30 PM
  4. And I cry in relief
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35