Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Missouri legalizes bare-hand fishing

Registered
    Dec 2003

Missouri legalizes bare-hand fishing

Rugged?

I've heard about this before, and have watched it on t.v. You have to have some gulls to do this.

Known variously as noodling or hogging, handfishing has long been a misdemeanor punishable by fines, because state officials fear it depletes breeding-age catfish. It can also be dangerous: Noodlers hold their breath for long periods under water and sometimes come up with fistfuls of agitated snakes or snapping turtles instead of fish.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6763659

I don't know about sticking my hand in that things mouth
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Good Eatin'

That fish looks like some mighty fine eatin'........
    Anyone fast enough to catch a fish in water with their bare hands.....the more power to them....and it seems like a fair fight to me....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Those 2 guys actually caught the one that got away.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    It was illegal? now it if were easy to do, i'd think it should have been, but since fish are like... slippery they're not that easy to catch with your bare hands.

PS: that cat fish sure is huge! reminds me of that huge catfish that homer caught.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The survey said that it is mostly 40 y/o men from rural areas who go hand-fishing...how RUGGED!
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Noodling is done only with catfish. You use your fingers to feel around the mouth of a catfish and encourage them to open up and grab your hand, then the Noodler pulls the fish up. You don't physically grab the outside of the fish. Mostly, the fish hold onto you. That's why snapping turtles and snakes pose a danger to those noodlin'.

I can't imagine that fish was caught by noodling! That's huge!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    PS: that cat fish sure is huge! reminds me of that huge catfish that homer caught.
    General Sherman

Quote Originally posted by boiker
    I can't imagine that fish was caught by noodling! That's huge!
    This site has other monsters
    http://www.anglerschat.com/_r/showthread/threadid_3082/
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Feb 2000

Fish Tail

Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Noodling is done only with catfish.
    There ain't nuthin' like buck naked noodlin'. I caught a 76 lb catfish below the dam at Tuttle Creek Reserviour. It took me 45 minutes after I lunked into the fish to get him in. Fortunately I had a buddy with me. At first I thought I was into a big piece of drift wood until the bastard flew up stream. Scared the crap out of me and it was around 11:00 p.m. when I got it in. I could put my fists together and stick them into it's mouth. We had a major fish fry 2 days later and only ate 1/3 of the meat.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jul 2002

cat fish for supper

Has anyone seen a picture of the catfish they have in the Mekong River? They're supposed to be the largest fresh water fish.

I don't think I'd eat any of those big ones. Their livers are probably pure PCBs laced with mercury. Small ones are better tasting anyhow.

Here we go!
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ntcatfish.html
    Last edited by Tom R; 29 Dec 2004 at 1:36 PM. Reason: more info
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ouch....

They must wear Kevlar Gloves if they stick their hands into the mouth of a huge fish like that....they gotta have very sharp teeth
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 2004
    'Hand fishing' illegal? Dang, I'm lucky they haven't tossed me into the klink for life......oh wait, this activity actually involves fish? Never mind!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    They must wear Kevlar Gloves if they stick their hands into the mouth of a huge fish like that....they gotta have very sharp teeth
    Wow. You just proved yourself to be a total city-slicker.

Catfish don't have teeth.

Registered
    Jul 2002

fish

WALSTIB

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I guess I'm the only one who just punches the fish underwater?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I had no idea catfish were that large. Freaks of nature... definitely left over from a time and place long, long ago.

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- They can get that big because all they do is lay on the floor of the lake and eat. Most aren't nearly that big.

Supposedly there've been nine foot long catfish found sitting infront of the water exhaust tubes of power plants.

jordanb, I think that is an urban [rural?] legend. However some friends and I have spent many nights trying to entice one of these giants out for a meal. As for grabbling cats, no way, no how. It usually involves alchohol to some extent around here. I have witnessed both snakes and cats come out of the same cut banks and the guy had another guy grab his feet and push him back under there. That ain't RUGGED, that's downright stupid!!!

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Well the fish in that picture has to be about six feet long (unless those guys are shorter than I think they are) so is three more feet really that hard to believe?

jordanb, I do believe that there are catfish that large and larger. The legend around here is that there are cats around the dams on Lake Norman that intimidate divers doing inspections. I would like to get one of these monsters on a line. Be like a dog chasing a car, though, " What do I do with this thing now?" As to eating these fish, the larger ones are best in a stew where you can cook them longer. For frying, I prefer around 6-10 lb fish. But the real fun is sitting on the river bank all night hoping the fish don't bite and disturb your drinking!!

Registered
    Dec 2003

Carp fishing

Thats some fun too. Get a can a corn and chum the water, and don't forget the whiskey.

Registered
    Jul 2002

carp

Carp are basically disgusting. Visit Linesville PA if you need to confirm this.
    http://www.pymatuning.com/duck-carp.jpg
    Last edited by Tom R; 30 Dec 2004 at 10:28 AM. Reason: add link
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    Carp are basically disgusting.
    To eat, yes, but fun to catch.

I made the mistake of eating baracuda skin a few years back. Forgot that its poisonous

Registered
    Jul 2002

carp

Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    To eat, yes, but fun to catch.
    I've heard of people smoking carp. I could never keep them lit.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Nov 2004

Let's start the Dueling Banjos! 8-)

Wait a sec - there's another way? I thought dynamite was the way to go!

What can I say about noodling in MO? It's only allowed in the Bootheel area, so expect a lot of injuries to the local red-necks whacked out on meth and moon-shine strained through a sock!

lol

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jenniplans
    ...[snip]... the local red-necks whacked out on meth and moon-shine strained through a sock!

lol
    And there's something wrong with that?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Let's Go Fishing!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 59
    Last post: 12 Mar 2012, 2:06 PM
  2. Ice Fishing in Northern Michigan
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29