Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Largest Earthquake in 40 years

Registered
    Jul 2003

Largest Earthquake in 40 years

I have been looking at the photos. I don't think I shock too easily for stuff like this but I feel kind of stunned. It is about 3am here in California and when I saw the news a few hours ago, the death toll was something like 12,400. This article is entitled Asia Tsunami Toll Tops 16,400, Rush to Find Bodies yet the blurbs on the photo slide show is Tsunami Waves Kill Over 19,930 in Asia (it is actually another article -- I included both links).

I wonder how our Indian Cyburbanites are doing. It makes me think of all the hurricanes in Florida this year as well. And Nerudites ordeal in Edmonton. All of that makes me think of some blurb from somewhere: "We are the earthquake generation". I think it is an astrological reference, but I can't remember. Anyway, my vague understanding is that alignments of the various planets are pulling on the earth powerfully and wreaking havoc with our "weather" ....er, not that earthquakes are part of the weather. I mean, it seems as if, just like the moon causes the ocean's tides due to gravity, that the various planets could also pull on the earth and encourage quakes, hurricanes, etc. under the right circumstances.

I know, I know: my super secret santa gift is on its way: one of those cute little jackets with the wrap around sleeves in the style known as "a straight jacket". Please remember that it is 3am here and be kind.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow this is EPIC. The toll this morning rose to over 21,000 and still counting. How very sad.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our boss's boyfriend's daughter lives in Sri Lanka; they just visited her there several weeks ago. No word yet on whether she's OK.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The pictures were just amazing. I first heard about this last night on the 6:00pm news. The power and devestation of mother nature are just amazing.

Now they need to worry about the outbreak of disease, it is gonna get a lot work.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    A friend on a Fullbright in Japan emailed me on Tuesday to say she was leaving to vacation in Thailand for ten days...

Registered
    Jun 2003
    This is a very big story, 2 whole pages in the NY Times without any ads, besides 1st page.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I was online around 3:00am when i first read the story and they said 300 dead. Tragic.

BTW, MZ wasn't May 5, 2000 supposed to be a devastating alignment of Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, and Jupiter?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Wow... 8.9 richter... Quite near our 9.5 here in Valdivia....
    I wonder how are our Asian Cyburbians... I believe there's one from Singapore.... although the Indians are more continental... I just hope they didn't go on vacations to the coast!

Heck.. if the tsunami got from Sumatra to Somalia... it had to be a big one.

I wish the best for all in that area and I hope all of the ones with relatives there are ok

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    BTW, MZ wasn't May 5, 2000 supposed to be a devastating alignment of Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, and Jupiter?
    Off the top of my head, I don't know. But I imagine you are referring to the time they made a rare straight line, or some such? I just woke up and I don't want to follow breakfast with immediately sticking both feet in my mouth, so I won't speculate beyond that.

PBD: I was thinking exactly what you said, that with so many thousands of dead bodies decomposing, and infrastructure damage, etc. the death toll will continue. Also, with a quake and tsunami so large, it isn't really "over" yet. When I was in Southern Cali., we had a 7.1 earthquake. The hundreds of aftershocks lasted for several weeks and a few of them were above 4.0. Amazingly, that earthquake did very little damage to humans or infrastructure or any of the things we care about. But I slept poorly during the weeks with all those aftershocks -- and it is not like I was in a tent, eating whatever food some charitable organization could supply. But with a quake of 9.0, I suspect that some of the aftershocks would count as notable earthquakes in their own right.

Registered
    May 2004
    Upon the earth in a grasp his hand he did lay to shake the dust from the sandles of the east of Islam. 10s of thousands shall fall in the streets while millions left to seek shelter and food. He shall then summons the wall from the deep to fold the earth under and pull mountains to the sea.

hmmm

Bob

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It seems the whole island of Sumatra moved. So much for an accurate GPS. Can you imagine the problems a major earthquake can have for surveyors?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Glasshouse
    Upon the earth in a grasp his hand he did lay to shake the dust from the sandles of the east of Islam. 10s of thousands shall fall in the streets while millions left to seek shelter and food. He shall then summons the wall from the deep to fold the earth under and pull mountains to the sea.

hmmm

Bob
    Nostradamus? Book of Revelations? Bob the Builder?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    It seems the whole island of Sumatra moved. So much for an accurate GPS. Can you imagine the problems a major earthquake can have for surveyors?
    Yup... what was before agricultural land is now a wetland; what was before a small hill is now a small island, and the entrie landscape changing due to landslides.... Valdivia 1960; and back in those days... there were no GPS! And if you want to go even further back in time we can go to Valdivia 1575.. when thy spaniards felt the wrath of thy earth whilst it shook in a 7.5 earthquake destroying thy city; to be later destroyed once more because of a natural dam built up-river, due to landslides, broke after holding for a few months; what was avoided in 1960, when at least we had airplanes to see such events, and the engeneering ability to slowly tear the dam down so it wouldn't wash down the city.

Are you sure that the whole island moved in a measurable amount? Because that's gotta be the largest fault slip ever! I wonder if the Krakatoa will get activated due to the quake... like many volcanoes down here in 1960.

Registered
    May 2004
    Hee hee, Maister......"Me".........., it's my new post prediction prophecies mode.

Bob

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The news reported Sumatra moved about 100 feet. Amazing
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    The news reported Sumatra moved about 100 feet. Amazing

I wonder if that will stir up some property disbutes.

Bob

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Hee hee, Maister......"Me".........., it's my new post prediction prophecies mode.

Bob
    Wow! this type of prognostication has to be the most accurate by far.

Lemme see if I can do a couple....
    Truman will beat Dewey..... The US Olympic basketball team will get their butts kicked in 2004....New Coke will be a complete marketing dud....
    This works great!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    At the year of 2004 upon the 27th day at the third hour and the thirty nineth minute the builder god shall ask his women for another cup of coffee.....................please hold..............wow this crap really works.

Bob

Registered
    Feb 2004
    At the year of 2004 upon the 27th day at the third hour and the thirty nineth minute the builder god shall ask his women for another cup of coffee.....................please hold..............wow this crap really works.

Bob
    Yeah, well it helps to throw in all the scary apocalyptic sounding sh*t - for instance "Maister will get drunk, trip over a rug, fall on his face, and break his jaw next Saturday" becomes "Upon the dawning of the year five in the second millenium, the Bird Loving Planner following the consumption of grain shall fall earthwards and speak thenceforth in a different voice"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Yeah, well it helps to throw in all the scary apocalyptic sounding sh*t - for instance "Maister will get drunk, trip over a rug, fall on his face, and break his jaw next Saturday" becomes "Upon the dawning of the year five in the second millenium, the Bird Loving Planner following the consumption of grain shall fall earthwards and speak thenceforth in a different voice"
    Aren't we in the third millenium?

Registered
    May 2004
    Another post prophecy (interrupted)
    And the forth little piggy built his house......on the shores of the Indian Ocean.

Bob

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Listening to NPR today, I learned that the United States is culpable in all of hte deaths.

1. We did not set up an early warning systems such as in the Pacific. Another version of this is that "we were not included in the international warning system." Still another complaint is that we did not warn these countries of the coming tsunami.

OK, I am no expert, but when I heard of an offshore earthquake, my first thought was that there might be a tsunami. I did not need my own government to tell me, much less someone else's. The Pacific warning system is regional, not worldwide, and it was developed among all of the countries in the region, not just the US. Is it our responsibility to begin providing services like this for all of the world's countires? India is a newkuler power now. Did they not have the technology to put a system like this in place?

2. We have caused global warming, which exacerbated the problems.Uh huh.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2003
    Listening to NPR today, I learned that the United States is culpable in all of hte deaths.

1. We did not set up an early warning systems such as in the Pacific. Another version of this is that "we were not included in the international warning system." Still another complaint is that we did not warn these countries of the coming tsunami.
    I listened to the same NPR and I distinctly recall them putting the blame for no warning system on the countries rimming the Indian Ocean, by pointing out that the Pacific system was a multinational effort. They even had an expert on saying that this event will probably cause those countries to pony up the cash now and regretting the fact that it takes a tragedy like this for that to happen.

They also interviewed the Hawaii researchers who detected the earthquake, who again faulted the Indian Ocean countries for not having a way for them to alert the affected populations.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I also recall that the 1994 'Northridge' earthquake in Los Angeles narrowed some city streets by about a half-meter. There are places all over central California where roads and fences/property lines have shifted out of alignment over the years due to movement of the San Andreas fault, as well as other faults.

In another note that will make you curse the lack of time to get things done even more, there is an article in today's (Tuesday, 2004-12-28) Chicago Tribune where they reported that not only did Sumatra move about 30 meters to the southwest, but it also moved DOWN by about 10 meters. The result is a permanent change in the rotational period of Earth, much like how the speed of a skater's spin changes depending on how far his/her arms stick out. Our days are now about 0.0001 seconds shorter.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...6119845.column

Also, there have been many references to this being the 'strongest earthquake in 40 years'. I believe that that 40 years-ago event that is being referred to was the 9.0+ earthquake that hit Anchorage, AK in March, 1964.

Ain't nature fun???

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 500 years forward or 500 years back?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 08 Apr 2010, 5:06 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 24 Mar 2007, 4:01 PM
  3. What's your largest SimCity?