Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Redneck Manifesto

Registered
    Sep 2001

The Redneck Manifesto

The full title is "The Redneck Manifesto: How Hillbillies, hicks, white trash became America's Scapegoats".

Just picked up this book by Jim Goad, the title and its thesis that rednecks are the only minority that should be picked on intrigues me. I think there is a fatal flaw in his argument and delinieation of these groups, but I'll have to wait to comment on this until I read teh book. I don't think these terms are interchangable. ie not all red necks are white trash, and not all white trash are hicks.

I'll post a full review once I've read it. It is probably next in line after "Eleanor Rigby" by Douglas Coupland and after I finish up the new American Splendour.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Warning - Jim Goad's website is Not Worksite Safe.

Registered
    Sep 2001

REVIEW and COMMENTS

Well, this is the first book review/report I’ve written since probably Grade 10 english. Bear with me.

Before reviewing the book for content the style needs to be commented on. The book is written as a giant ‘zine and uses much informal English and inflammatory language. This book is not really suitable to read at work or even be seen reading it in polite company. Goad uses this as a way to distinguish himself as a social commentator/observationalist vs others who have done similar work. Best example would be Tom Wolfe’s recent novel plus his previous examinations of the South in a Man in Full and his NASCAR article. Each of these works portrays the characters and types that Goad does with de*****ting the value of the person or the reader. Goad’s aim with this work is offend / incite first and educate second.

The thesis/ purpose of this book is to outline why and how it has become acceptable to pick on poor whites and degrade them through the use of the terms redneck/hick/white trash/cracker etc and not OK to pick on other visible ethnic groups. After reading this book I have a slightly better understand of American history with respect to white indentured servants. We had them in Canada and I expected the same in the US, but Goad provides stats to indicate that the situation was much worse in the US after the Revolution than the “Family Compact” ever was here. The secondary thesis is that the upper classes have provided the fuel for much of the racism and activities that have gone on and use the poor white as a scapegoat. The book really hammers points on the creation of the wealthy classes vs the middle and lower classes.

Would I suggest buying it, NO. Definitely a library lender, if your library carries books a bit off the common ground of thought. Would I suggest reading it, maybe. It was humorous and will look funny on my bookshelf, but I am sure there are other books on the same topic that are not as incendiary and harsh to read that cover the same information.

I’d give it a 6-7 /10 but be in the mood to read it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Great review! Thanks!

Hey Donk, Born Fighting by James Webb gives a brief history of how ethnic slurs like redneck and cracker were born and gives a brief outline of Scots-Irish history in the motherlands and in America. This guy loves his people, so expect some glorious tales of never surrendering warriors. The tone is serious and prideful. It reads at a pretty fast pace.

Gosh, coming from East Texas, it might shed some light on my own perspective. Then, maybe cruising the country stations on a long drive in Texas is all the perspective I can handle. I'll stick to the AICP exam recomended list, for now.

Thanks

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Well, this is the first book review/report I’ve written since probably Grade 10 english. Bear with me.

Before reviewing the book for content the style needs to be commented on. The book is written as a giant ‘zine and uses much informal English and inflammatory language. This book is not really suitable to read at work or even be seen reading it in polite company. Goad uses this as a way to distinguish himself as a social commentator/observationalist vs others who have done similar work. Best example would be Tom Wolfe’s recent novel plus his previous examinations of the South in a Man in Full and his NASCAR article. Each of these works portrays the characters and types that Goad does with de*****ting the value of the person or the reader. Goad’s aim with this work is offend / incite first and educate second.

The thesis/ purpose of this book is to outline why and how it has become acceptable to pick on poor whites and degrade them through the use of the terms redneck/hick/white trash/cracker etc and not OK to pick on other visible ethnic groups. After reading this book I have a slightly better understand of American history with respect to white indentured servants. We had them in Canada and I expected the same in the US, but Goad provides stats to indicate that the situation was much worse in the US after the Revolution than the “Family Compact” ever was here. The secondary thesis is that the upper classes have provided the fuel for much of the racism and activities that have gone on and use the poor white as a scapegoat. The book really hammers points on the creation of the wealthy classes vs the middle and lower classes.

Would I suggest buying it, NO. Definitely a library lender, if your library carries books a bit off the common ground of thought. Would I suggest reading it, maybe. It was humorous and will look funny on my bookshelf, but I am sure there are other books on the same topic that are not as incendiary and harsh to read that cover the same information.

I’d give it a 6-7 /10 but be in the mood to read it.
    I just started reading this book and it is quite interesting. For the first time in my life I seem to identify somewhat with the rednecks, which is kinda scary. He makes some very good arguments on why terms like "redneck, cracker, white trash" are just as bad as terms like "n----r", "bean-r", and "g--k". It really does tell you how much this country picks on the economically disadvantaged and how poor whites are the only group this country is allowed to make fun of anymore, and just how wrong that is.

This book proves that anyone who believes that whites are the only and the most racist group is absolutely wrong and that this country does indeed have opression towards average white people.

I, too, would agree that this book is NOT safe for work, or any public place for that matter. I was reading it in my grandmother's retirement home lobby, and had to cover up the chapter heading all the time as the "n" word was on every page.

Definitely an at-home type book, and I'd try to get it from the library if you can. But if you can't, the book is a bargain at only $14.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Nov 2011, 10:13 AM
  2. Redneck pictures
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 31 Dec 2002, 1:26 PM
  3. Redneck aberrations
    Friday Afternoon Club