Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do you post notification for public hearings?

Registered
    May 2004

How do you post notification for public hearings?

What do you use for posting notification for public hearings. Poster board, pre printed signs, real estate signs, plastic signs, paper signs? Is anyone happy with the type of posting they use -- any specific materials that you recommend?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    we use that corregated plastic stuff with vinyl letters. We use a giant marker to fill in the info such as what the zoning change is, the address and the date. I haven't had any complaints. It is kind of wasteful though and I would like to switch to reusuable signs that we rent out with a deposit.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Local News Papers and personal mailings with in 300 ft of subject property.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    May 2003
    Here in Chicago, notices typically go on display in the bottom of a locked file cabnet stuck in a disused lavatory in the basement of the planning office with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard.

There was an alderman who promised to get that changed during his campaign. IIRC, he got elected but nothing came of it.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Here

Mailouts to owners within 200 ft.
    Plus posted paper sign, hand written.
    May place an ad in teh newspaper if in our opinion the item has community significance.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We have the applicant run an add in the local newspaper and mail certified letter to everyone within 500 feet or 2 properties deep. I also plant a real ugly yellow and black metal sign on the property while doing my site tour. The signs were one of the previous director's bright ideas, along with a toy truck we use for inspections.

May be a tad overboard, but Public Participation is our middle name...

We use:

A Land Use Action sign with a phone number to a hotline, placed in 3 different locations on the property;

A legal ad in the newspaper;

Mailings of the proposed use and meeting time before City Council, Board of Adjustment, Planning Commission to those folks who are within 300 feet of abutters to the abutters, whichever provides the greatest amount of notification;

Placement of the mailout in 8 different public locations throughout the City.

BELEIVE it or not, people still show up at meetings and tell us that we do a crappy job of notifying the public of our meetings...go figure, eh?
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Public notice in the one local newspaper, posting notice in Town Hall directly across from the Town Clerk's counter, mailers to all property owners within 500 feet. Proof of mailing is required.
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We make the applicant put up the sign, and provide proof.
    C. Sign: The applicant is responsible for posting signs on the property to be replatted by the 16th day before the date of the public hearing (See Samples “F” and “F-2”). A sign (minimum size: 4’ x 8’) shall be placed within fifteen feet from each right-of-way bordering the site. Each sign shall face the R-O-W with print large enough to be legible from the ROW. The applicant is responsible for contacting staff once the signs are in place. The applicant shall use reasonable efforts to maintain the signs.

Materials most commonly used are wood frames with plywood (or similar looking) for the notice area. We prefer large block letters, but I've seen handwritten signs on plastic frames. They don't last too long, but they only have to hold up for 16 days.

When it comes to notification:
    A. Newspaper: The Director will authorize the publication of the required notification of public hearing after the Commission establishes a date for said hearing. After this authorization is given, the applicant must provide for the publication of notification (see sample D and E) in the Houston Chronicle for one day. The Department must be provided with a publication affidavit from said newspaper within one (1) week after authorization.
    B. Letters: The City is required to mail out written notice of the public hearing to owners of property within the original plat boundary and that are within 200 feet of the property to be replatted (See Sample “G”).
    1. Public Hearings within the city limits requesting a variance or special exception require notification to 250 feet of the property being replatted, regardless of subdivision. Those properties lying within the 200 to 250 foot notification area will receive a variance or special exception letter only (see sample C-1 and C-2).
    2. The applicant will differentiate between those property owners that will receive a public hearing letter and those that will receive a variance or special exception letter by marking each envelope appropriately (See Sample “G”).

The applicant provides the stamped, addressed envelopes.
    Last edited by Salmissra; 03 Jan 2005 at 2:52 PM.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Sorry, I thought we were just talking about extra stuff we do outside of legal requirements.

We send notices to property owners within 200 feet 10 days prior to the meeting and publish in newspaper 15 days prior. We place signs on the property as an extra thing.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Local News Papers and personal mailings with in 300 ft of subject property.
    Same drill here.

Registered
    Mar 2004

well......

Toilet paper with 6 point type and posted on a 4x4 in the ground at least 30 feet from the nearest property line......snicker..har har har........

300 feet from the property for mailed notice
    Signs are paper board laminate sometimes covered in plastic.....
    newspaper notice is a pain with several different formats and sizes per state statute......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Here in Chicago, notices typically go on display in the bottom of a locked file cabnet stuck in a disused lavatory in the basement of the planning office with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard.

There was an alderman who promised to get that changed during his campaign. IIRC, he got elected but nothing came of it.
    Now, now, jordanb. When I was with the City we always posted notices in the Chicago Sun-Times (usually the Monday edition) and sent mailings to addresses within 500 feet of the subject property.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Large metal-framed poster board signs with pockets for the notices. We also collect a $20 deposit in case some nimrod steals the sign. :/

Oh-and local "paper of record" plus mailed to all addresses within 500 feet.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We put a legal notice in the paper and send notices to property owners within 350 feet, both 10 days prior to the meeting.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CCMNUT39
    BELEIVE it or not, people still show up at meetings and tell us that we do a crappy job of notifying the public of our meetings...go figure, eh?
    If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that. You could literally rent the Goodyear blimp for a month period flying over the area and the residents would still say 'I didn't know about it or hear anything'

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Generic plastic corrugated sign. Says "Rezoning Hearing," "Proposed Subdivision," "Site Plan Review," etc. Then it has our phone number.

In addition, we file a legal ad. If it's a controversial issue, the local news usually tackles it in a more pronounced manner. And we post agendas oustide city hall.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 9:57 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 12:23 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Nov 2006, 3:58 PM
  5. e-notices of public hearings