Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Snapshot 1-14-14

Registered
    Feb 2004

Snapshot 1-14-14

Did you try to park in the same (or as close to it as possible) spot at work or school that you did yesterday? Are you generally a 'preferred spot' parker or a 'random' parker by nature?

Or if you prefer which describes you best:
    A) a dull, unimaginative drone who fearfully never treads far from the safety of their comfort zone
    or
    B) a chaotic, disorganized, impractical flake who whimsically trapses thru life without a clue
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I have my own designated spot .

ahole by cityplan_2000, on Flickr
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Yup, same spot everyday if I can. Our spots are very narrow and always in demand. I park on the far end of the lot so I only have one side of the car facing a spot, the other side is up against a wheelchair ramp. That way I only get door dings on one side

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I parked in generally the same area as yesterday, but further away from the other cars because the inside of my car is currently a disaster and I'd hate for a co-worker to look inside (it's just a boatload of stuff from my son's school, plus some other stuff I have to take with me on errands after work).

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Since parking where I work is a free-for-all, I don't really ever get to park in the same spot day to day, but I do park generally in the same area (closest to the secret side door that hardly anyone else uses and goes to a stairway that exits only a few steps from my office ).
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jan 2005
    As the first person in the parking lot every morning I get to pick where I want to park. I used to park a bit further away, but now I park the 4th spot over from the door. Not sure why, I just do. It has the asphalt paving that was done a couple years ago, and a couple patch jobs, but I like it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Parking here is set by 30 minute, 3 hour, and 8 hour. So everyone just parks in the closest 8 hour spot they can find. It's always a little different.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2002
    My office building is connected to a parking garage (or parking deck as we call them here) so depending on time of arrival I can generally park pretty close to the door to the stairwell and then access our department's floor from there. Makes it really nice when it's raining and I don't have to fool with an umbrella.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Park 2 blocks away for free.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Drone. Same space every day. But not the 9 months out of the year that I can bike to work!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm a random parker for the most part, but my boss is OCD about parking in the same spot. When I beat him to work, I make it a point to take his spot. He knows I do this intentionally. I've told him I'm doing exposure therapy with him to overcome his fear of parking in other spaces, and that he owes me the $120/hr some shrink would probably charge.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I have 3 spaces where I park depending on the weather.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    No assigned parking places at work. It is first come first serve. That said, the employee parking lot has areas where the travel lane is narrower when the lot is full. So there are areas of the lot where I prefer to park and there are parking spaces I cannot get into when the lot is full.

We go to Walmart every Sunday for groceries and whatnot, I always park in the same area of the parking lot ( in the aisle equidistance between the two main entrances), simply so I don't have to remember where I parked my car. Still, my wife cannot find the car.

I would strongly recommend if you are lost, not to ask my wife for directions. She can navigate inside our house pretty well and can get to and from work and to my son's school. Otherwise, she doesn't know where anything else is.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I park in a structure that is probably made for a at least 1,000 cars. It is not possible to park in the same place every day.

I park on the lowest floor I can find a spot that is not next to some big redneck truck. It is quicker to get out of the garage that way. I hate it when I have to park on the 12th floor! The 12th is the roof and your car is gets exposed to things like the hot sun or snow. This takes even longer to get out!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

My parking space is assigned, so I park in the same place every day.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I get to work for 7 AM, and I park close to the same spot every day. We park in a free lot in a part of town where free parking is at a premium. The lot is kind of isolated, and it's dark when I arrive. For safety's sake, I want to be as close to the building as possible.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    My wife drops me off at the same door every day.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Same spot (give or take a few). After a long day I don't want to exit the building and wonder where my car is like an idiot.

Reserved parking in assigned space number C-32 for $10/month. It's great except when some asswipe parks in my spot when I'm out for lunch/meeting, or some server got lucky the night before and hadn't come back to claim their vehicle by the time I arrive.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I arrive early to work. I use the same parking space each morning next to the back entrance. You know, the one with the storm drain manhole cover in the middle of the space. I'm a creature of habit.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2004

AH HA!

NOW I know exactly where to park when I make my surprise visit.......someday......in the distant future
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I arrive early to work. I use the same parking space each morning next to the back entrance. You know, the one with the storm drain manhole cover in the middle of the space. I'm a creature of habit.
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    On street parking (not metered) at my office. Opposite side parking on Wednesday and Thursday 9am to Noon for street cleaning. There is a parking lot behind our building but much of it is taken up by our 4 vans, company car, and 2 school buses. The director's have 4 assigned spaces which leaves about 5 parking spaces. Because I am in and out all day long I just park on the street so I don't have to deal with opening and closing the gate.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2013
    No car, no problems.

I AM LIVING THE WALKABILITAYYYYY

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Unimaginative drone here. I try to park in the (surprise!) closest parking space to the door. I once heard about a guy in Minneapolis several years ago who used to do the same thing, so I can't be the only one.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Snapshot 12-16-13
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 17 Dec 2013, 9:43 AM
  2. Snapshot 10/25/13
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 25 Oct 2013, 4:45 PM
  3. Snapshot 10/18/13
    Friday Afternoon Club