Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Typology/Personality Tests (merged threads)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

Typology/Personality Tests (merged threads)

Don't know if this was posted before... I did a small search and didn't find any threads about it, so anyways:
    What's your personality type acording to the Jung Typology test?

Here's the link to take it: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I'm a INTJ: 100% Introvert; 89% iNtuitive; 72% Thinking; 100% Judging.

Can't start the year without these tests.

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm 100% these 100% tests 100% are 100% bull****.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I-22 N-39 T-11 J-11
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2002
    INTJ:

Introverted, 44%
    INtuitive, 67%
    Thinking, 44%
    Judging, 46%

I've taken this test over the past five years or so, and I've seen it go from INFP to INFJ, and this is the first INTJ I've had.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Another INTJ:
    I - 11%
    N - 89%
    T - 22%
    J - 11%

Mastermind

Of the four aspects of strategic analysis and definition, it is the contingency planning or entailment organizing role that reaches the highest development in Masterminds. Entailing or contingency planning is not an informative activity, rather it is a directive one in which the planner tells others what to do and in what order to do it. As the organizing capabilities the Masterminds increase so does their inclination to take charge of whatever is going on.

It is in their abilities that Masterminds differ from the other Rationals, while in most of their attitudes they are just like the others. However there is one attitude that sets them apart from other Rationals: they tend to be much more self-confident than the rest, having, for obscure reasons, developed a very strong will. They are rather rare, comprising no more than, say, one percent of the population. Being very judicious, decisions come naturally to them; indeed, they can hardly rest until they have things settled, decided, and set. They are the people who are able to formulate coherent and comprehensive contingency plans, hence contingency organizers or "entailers."

Masterminds will adopt ideas only if they are useful, which is to say if they work efficiently toward accomplishing the Mastermind's well-defined goals. Natural leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command of projects or groups, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead. Once in charge, however, Masterminds are the supreme pragmatists, seeing reality as a crucible for refining their strategies for goal-directed action. In a sense, Masterminds approach reality as they would a giant chess board, always seeking strategies that have a high payoff, and always devising contingency plans in case of error or adversity. To the Mastermind, organizational structure and operational procedures are never arbitrary, never set in concrete, but are quite malleable and can be changed, improved, streamlined. In their drive for efficient action, Masterminds are the most open-minded of all the types. No idea is too far-fetched to be entertained-if it is useful. Masterminds are natural brainstormers, always open to new concepts and, in fact, aggressively seeking them. They are also alert to the consequences of applying new ideas or positions. Theories which cannot be made to work are quickly discarded by the Masterminds. On the other hand, Masterminds can be quite ruthless in implementing effective ideas, seldom counting personal cost in terms of time and energy.

People (real)? Thomas Jefferson
    People (fictional)? Gandalf the Grey
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've taken this before and always the same results:

ENFP(majorly high on the "P")

Registered
    Oct 2003
    ENFP:
    Extroverted: 11
    Intuitive: 67
    Feeling: 33
    Perceiving: 22

Champion Idealist

The Champion Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in accomplishing their aims, and informative and extraverted when relating with others. For Champions, nothing occurs which does not have some deep ethical significance, and this, coupled with their uncanny sense of the motivations of others, gives them a talent for seeing life as an exciting drama, pregnant with possibilities for both good and evil. This type is found in only about 3 percent of the general population, but they have great influence because of their extraordinary impact on others. Champions are inclined to go everywhere and look into everything that has to do with the advance of good and the retreat of evil in the world. They can't bear to miss out on what is going on around them; they must experience, first hand, all the significant social events that affect our lives. And then they are eager to relate the stories they've uncovered, hoping to disclose the "truth" of people and issues, and to advocate causes. This strong drive to unveil current events can make them tireless in conversing with others, like fountains that bubble and splash, spilling over their own words to get it all out.

Bill Moyers and Molly Brown

Registered
    Jul 2002
    This is also commonly known as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator:

Extraversion–Introversion: describes where people prefer to focus their attention and get their energy—from the outer world of people and activity or their inner world of ideas and experiences

Sensing–Intuition: describes how people prefer to take in information—focused on what is real and actual or on patterns and meanings in data

Thinking–Feeling: describes how people prefer to make decisions—based on logical analysis or guided by concern for their impact on others

Judging–Perceiving: describes how people prefer to deal with the outer world—in a planned orderly way, or in a flexible spontaneous way

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Strength of the preferences %
    Extroverted 44
    Intuitive 67
    Thinking 1
    Judging 33

Thinking 1 % what's up with that?

As I remember from College, Jung's stuff was a bit odd.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Your Type is
    ISFP
    Introverted Sensing Feeling Perceiving
    Introverted - 56%
    Sensing - 33%
    Feeling - 22%
    Perceiving - 50%
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Enfj

Extroverted (22) Intuitive (44) Feeling (44) Judging (22)
    That's an eNFj, according to one of the lists.

I don't know how useful these tests are (and I assume they take into account that you answer with a bias since you don't want to speak ill of yourself!) but they are fun. I took a similar test a few years ago and was exactly in the middle of 3 of the 4 areas, so the results seem to be affected by the test itself...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ENTJ

I am:

slightly expressed extrovert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

moderately expressed thinking personality

moderately expressed judging personality

Registered
    Aug 2004
    An ESTJ here.

Your Type is
    ESTJ
    Extroverted 33
    Sensing 78
    Thinking 33
    Judging 78

Highlights from the in-depth description:

ESTJs thrive on order and continuity.
    ESTJs are joiners.
    Service, the tangible expression of responsibility, is another key focus for ESTJs.
    ESTJs have an acute sense for orthodoxy.
    ESTJs promote the work ethic.
    The ESTJ is outspoken, a person of principles, which are readily expressed. The ESTJ is not afraid to stand up for what she believes is right even in the face of overwhelming odds. ESTJs are able to make the tough calls.
    Occupations attracting ESTJs include teaching, banking, political office, and management at all levels.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2002
    ENTJ here. One of the few. The chosen. The Fieldmarshal.

Took the Myers-Brigg test when I was a college Junior and was deemed an INTP. So somehow I've managed to turn myself from an introverted perceiver into an extroverted judger in less than six years. Go figure...
    Last edited by biscuit; 03 Jan 2005 at 4:31 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Ok well, I took it because I'm bored.

Your Type is
    INFP
    Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving
    44 89 22 22

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

* moderately expressed introvert
    * very expressed intuitive personality
    * slightly expressed feeling personality
    * slightly expressed perceiving personality

I don't know where the F came from.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Does anyone else notice the preponderance of Intuitives over Sensors here, and to a lesser extent, Thinkers over Feelers?

Maybe that means that us planner-types intuitively "know" we're right about how to shape and improve the built environment, and find the rational "thinking" data that supports our conclusions?

Hmmm.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Yes, we've covered this before here:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6321

I was an INFJ, now I'm apparently more ISFJ.

We've made this test a requirement in my office. I work with a lot of INTJs.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    ENTJ... another Fieldmarshall....I thought we were only supposed to be 2%??? must be higher in the planning field!!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Another iNTj

Me and Hannibal Lecter... Anyone have some fava beans?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    ENTJ

I am:

slightly expressed extrovert

moderately expressed intuitive personality

moderately expressed thinking personality

moderately expressed judging personality
    Ditto. We had to take one of these tests for work, it was pretty interesting to see what your co-workers are compared to you.
    Extroverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
    11 44 44 67
    Last edited by Habanero; 03 Jan 2005 at 5:20 PM.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    ENTJ... another Fieldmarshall....I thought we were only supposed to be 2%??? must be higher in the planning field!!
    Or it could be that the exceptional, like the beautiful, tend to congregate.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Do you have the right link posted? I took the test and my results didn't read like any of yours. Yours all say things like 'moderately extroverted' or 'slightly expressed thinking personality'. When I submitted my answers this message came back "we recognise you need help badly. Stay where you are. dial this number (911) and someone will come by shortly to take you to your new home...."

What does that mean?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Looks like I'm in good company

I 44
    N 89
    T 22
    J 56

To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers. On the other hand, they do tend to be scrupulous and even-handed about recognizing the individual contributions that have gone into a project, and have a gift for seizing opportunities which others might not even notice.

In the broadest terms, what INTJs "do" tends to be what they "know". Typical INTJ career choices are in the sciences and engineering, but they can be found wherever a combination of intellect and incisiveness are required (e.g., law, some areas of academia). INTJs can rise to management positions when they are willing to invest time in marketing their abilities as well as enhancing them, and (whether for the sake of ambition or the desire for privacy) many also find it useful to learn to simulate some degree of surface conformism in order to mask their inherent unconventionality.

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Probably the strongest INTJ assets in the interpersonal area are their intuitive abilities and their willingness to "work at" a relationship. Although as Ts they do not always have the kind of natural empathy that many Fs do, the Intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression. This ability can then be honed and directed by consistent, repeated efforts to understand and support those they care about, and those relationships which ultimately do become established with an INTJ tend to be characterized by their robustness, stability, and good communications.

Functional Analysis
    by Joe Butt

Introverted iNtuition
    INTJs are idea people. Anything is possible; everything is negotiable. Whatever the outer circumstances, INTJs are ever perceiving inner pattern-forms and using real-world materials to operationalize them. Others may see what is and wonder why; INTJs see what might be and say "Why not?!" Paradoxes, antinomies, and other contradictory phenomena aptly express these intuitors' amusement at those whom they feel may be taking a particular view of reality too seriously. INTJs enjoy developing unique solutions to complex problems.

Extraverted Thinking
    Thinking in this auxiliary role is a workhorse. Closure is the payoff for efforts expended. Evaluation begs diagnosis; product drives process. As they come to light, Thinking tends, protects, affirms and directs iNtuition's offspring, fully equipping them for fulfilling and useful lives. A faithful pedagogue, Thinking argues not so much on its own behalf, but in defense of its charges. And through this process these impressionable ideas take on the likeness of their master.

Introverted Feeling
    Feeling has a modest inner room, two doors down from the Most Imminent iNtuition. It doesn't get out much, but lends its influence on behalf of causes which are Good and Worthy and Humane. We may catch a glimpse of it in the unspoken attitude of good will, or the gracious smile or nod. Some question the existence of Feeling in this type, yet its unseen balance to Thinking is a cardinal dimension in the full measure of the INTJ's soul.

Extraverted Sensing
    Sensing serves with a good will, or not at all. As other inferior functions, it has only a rudimentary awareness of context, amount or degree. Thus INTJs sweat the details or, at times, omit them. "I've made up my mind, don't confuse me with the facts" could well have been said by an INTJ on a mission. Sensing's extraverted attitude is evident in this type's bent to savor sensations rather than to merely categorize them. Indiscretions of indulgence are likely an expression of the unconscious vengeance of the inferior.

Famous INTJs:
    Dan Aykroyd, actor (The Blues Brothers)
    Susan B. Anthony, suffragist
    Arthur Ashe, tennis champion
    Augustus Caesar (Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus), Emperor of Rome
    Jane Austen, author (Pride and Prejudice)
    William J. Bennett, "drug czar"
    William F. Buckley, Jr., conservative political advocate
    Raymond Burr, actor (Perry Mason, Ironsides)
    Chevy Chase (Cornelius Crane), actor (Fletch)
    Phil Donahue, television talk show host
    Michael Dukakis, governor of Mass., 1988 U.S. Dem. pres. candidate
    Greg Gumbel, television sportscaster
    Hannibal, Carthaginian military leader
    Veronica Hamel, actor (Hill Street Blues)
    Orel Leonard Hershiser, IV, major league baseball pitcher
    Peter Jennings, television newscaster
    Charles Everett Koop, former U.S. surgeon general
    Ivan Lendl, tennis champion
    C. S. Lewis, author (The Chronicles of Narnia)
    Joan Lunden, television talk show host
    Edwin Moses, U.S. olympian (hurdles)
    Martina Navratilova, tennis champion
    Charles Rangel, U. S. Representative, D-N.Y.
    Pernell Roberts, actor (Bonanza)
    Maria Owens Shriver, television newscaster
    Josephine Tey (Elizabeth Mackintosh), mystery writer (Brat Farrar)
    Rudy Giuliani, New York City mayor
    Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defense
    General Colin Powell, US Secretary of State

U.S. Presidents:
    Chester A. Arthur
    Calvin Coolidge
    Thomas Jefferson
    John F. Kennedy
    James K. Polk
    Woodrow Wilson

Fictional:
    Cassius (Julius Caesar)
    Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)
    Gandalf the Grey (J. R. R. Tolkein's Middle Earth books)
    Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)
    Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes' nemesis
    Ensign Ro (Star Trek--the Next Generation)
    Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (Hamlet)
    George Smiley, John le Carre's master spy
    Clarice Starling (Silence of the Lambs)

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 1997
    INTJ

(Why do cyubrbia messages have to be ten characters? Oops, there I go overanalyzing again.)
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    May 1997
    Yet another INTJ, although I teeter on the edge between J and P. Karen is INTP. I used to use this approach in teaching planning theory (it was a unique course), and the same trend held true among planning students I worked with over 5 years.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Studying for tests
    Student Commons
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 Nov 2006, 11:43 PM
  2. Political Typology
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 28 May 2005, 2:45 AM
  3. Replies: 3