Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Typology/Personality Tests (merged threads)

Registered
    Nov 2007
    I'm also an INFP. I myself am fascinated by these types. I've taken the test every few years for about the last 10 years. Always the same letters. Much more accurate indicators than say astrological signs, don't you think?

I am a:
    very expressed introvert (100%)
    moderately expressed intuitive personality (25%)
    moderately expressed feeling personality (25%)
    slightly expressed perceiving personality (11%)

I'm a little surprised by the percentages. I thought I was becomming less introverted over the years. I sometimes get cabin fever: even though I enjoy being by myself, I like to go out among the people sometimes. But then I quickly tire of them. I don't maintain friendships very well, since they aren't a necessity to me at the core. I think it is essential for the planning profession to have a good mix of the latter three variables in its staffing. Both sides of each can be valuable depending on the situation.

These were from the INFP analysis:
    "Some INFPs have a gift for taking technical information and putting it into layman's terms."
    "As INTPs tend to have a sense of failed competence, INFPs struggle with the issue of their own ethical perfection, e.g., performance of duty for the greater cause. "

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Buncha damned INTJ planners!

No wonder no one understands me! We rare ISTP planners gotta stick together in the face of such judgement!
    I usually test as an ISTP, too. ISTP's are "supposed" to be in action-oriented, high-pressure fields relying on advanced technical skill, like professional wrestlers, hitmen, and others (I swear hitman was on a list of "careers" I got once). My favorite part of my job is being on-the-spot, even though it causes the most anxiety, so it's right somehow.

I've found I've shifted to more of an ESTJ type because as I went through college and beyond I became more outgoing and got a bit more organized.

I studied this test a lot and could go on and on. For all of our sakes, I'll stop.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    ....They mentioned in the class that most public sector government types were ISTJ .....

In the interest of tipping the scale, I tested as an ISTJ . The profile fits me very well
    Cheers!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Searched for a thread, took the test. (Bored this afternoon)...

I scored an INFP...

Seems to make sense to me.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    Just because I can't turn down this perfect opportunity for a shamless plug... the MBTI is actually my family's test... i.e. my grandparents are the Myers in Myers Briggs. For obvious reasons, the indicator is a huge part of my families identity but it wasn't until I got older that I realized how far reaching the test was; coming across a huge thread randomly in a forum about urban planning is just an example of how even when I choose a completely different career, the test still finds me! Of course i wouldn't have it any other way...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I took the test again. Now I'm an INTJ! Are these tests accurate? I've been an ENTP, INFP...
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto View post
    I took the test again. Now I'm an INTJ! Are these tests accurate? I've been an ENTP, INFP...
    Of course they are. You're clearly an "N".

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

E(67); I(62); T(1); J(44)

Another ENTJ Fieldmarshal here!

* distinctively expressed extrovert
    * distinctively expressed intuitive personality
    * slightly expressed thinking personality
    * moderately expressed judging personality

Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    Extroverted 44
    Intuitive 67
    Thinking 1
    Judging 33

Thinking 1 % what's up with that?
    I also got 1% thinking. Queen B, how could it be possible that we are... that way?

What's your Meyers-Briggs personality type?

Meyers-Briggs is a basic personality type test that looks at the major way we interface and react to the world. We all have all the personality traits yet some are dominant like handedness. The categories are Extrovert-Introvert, Thinking-Feeling, Intuition-Sensory, Judgement-Perceptive. I am ENTP, as the majority of men are T and women are predominately F. There is some evidence there are a variety of reasons for having our stronger traits, nature and nuture come into play. The classic ENTP woman I read fakes being feeling until her mid-twenties as it's so socially unacceptable to be a thinking woman. If you are a callous guy it's expected and ignored. Also, T women surround themselves with feeling woman as it is considered such a handicap they use them like cypers. Men having this characteristic are not as motivated; Woman have more social negative consequences for being Thinking until they get older.

Also note again we have all these characteristics just one is stronger; So like a child to the adult, the child wants mcdos and the adult wants salad so you take the child into consideration and sometimes the childs wishes are listened too but its the adult or the more dominant personalty that drives the car. Extroverts get energized by talking to people, Introverts need alone time to energize but are not less social. Also Introverts do better on standardized tests hence its suspected that all the professions that have difficult standardized tests there are more introverts. Especially Introverts are overly represented in medicine because of it. Intuition is the only sense they can not measure. Sensory people tend to be very loyal and like to follow the standard. SJs are famous for staying at jobs for 25 years etc. In every organization there are about 25% SJs and incredibly they often end up being the lifers. So if your an SJ the stick around.

Judgement does not mean judgemental. It means quickly putting things in a heirarchy and seeing things black and white. Perseptives see things as grey and less emphatic about heirarchies. You can take a simple Meyers-Briggs online and they are accurate as anything. If you google your result you can see there are clubs etc for your type. Some people game the test as they don't like being judgement and knowingly chose the answers that are going toward perseptive and this can be done for any of the traits; It's easy to game the test but it's more interesting to see what your challenges are and how you communicate. It's a tool. The history of the test is interesting also. What else; ah, oh, if you have two traits in common its easier to communicate and the more traits you have in common the easier it is to communicate. if you have none in common you still can have a good communication you just have to use words that the other person relates too.

The classic schism is men are thinking and women feeling. you will see thinking people say i think i think and woman say i feel i feel its really as simple as that. a lot of introverted teens pretend to be extroverted during highschool. and with great relief get to be more themselves when older. For me being an ENTP, oh, its not the most important thing; i have read different things, they like comforts and what else, ah, inventors, make good teachers for adults, i cant remember its been so long since i looked at anything; anyway, if anyone knows there type would be interested to hear about it and how that impacts your communication style and how you interact with the world.

CJ

Moderator note:
    Thread merged into existing thread on the same topic.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's been a while since we've done a Meyers-Briggs type thread and there are some new folks on board that I'm curious to see what type they might be.

I usually test as an ISTP. And yes, Cyburbia would qualify as a 'project' I've launched myself into.

I believe many of the planners around here test as INTJ's

Here are links to MB test sites:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

ENTP or ENTJ

I get both ENTP and ENTJ and its always barely a P or barely a J. In Nursing school there was a lady who took all our tests and there was another woman who had that PJ thing like I did although she was feeling. I remember I was told by that lady that my personality type rarely stayed in nursing because they got bored. She actually went to the trouble to introduce me to another ENTP nurse at the time who was getting their PhD in Sociology. I have to admit I don't like the J part of my personality and always try to game the test so it comes out P. As I admire the characteristics of Ps. I always test strong thinking and strong intuition. Basially insensitive to the max without the F or the S. Feel sorry for me. My husband is an engineer and he is an INTJ. We actually communicate very easily. I would even go as far as to say cultural differences in communication are easier to overcome than having widely different Meyers-Briggs tests. There are lables for each of the personalities I will look up some of the titles for my type.

I am interested to hear about other peoples typologies also.

CJ

Registered
    May 2005
    I don't like taking these tests, although I think I may have before in other threads. But maybe that's just the contrarian inside me. Wait, maybe that would be revealed if I take the test. Maybe I'm afraid to take the test because it would reveal that I'm a sucky, horrible person.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

interface

calm down for the love of god; we have all these traits and like being right or left handed its just one is better developed for whatever reason; JEESH!

hey my first edit, cool, its how we interface with the world; if your introverted you need recharge time if your extroverted you get hyped up and energy from people, introverts make decisions by looking at this weird windy string in themselves and then they just blurt out this elaborate well though decision, while me being and extrovert loudly ask five people what i should do and its like a political straw poll. so its how we interact with the world, not good or bad. and i still have an introvert side.
    Last edited by christinejosephine; 22 Mar 2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Based on my answers this morning I'm an ENTP Very high E (33%) and T (50%) and very low N (11%) and P (12%).

I took my first M-B test about 6 years ago and I believe I was an INTJ or INTP so this is almost a 180 from where I was. I have never pinged S on an M-B test. My lack of easily shown empathy or sympathy would support that.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Extravert(78%) Sensing(1%) Thinking(25%) Judging(67%)

You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (78%)
    You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
    You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (25%)
    You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2004
    An ESTJ here (based on the last time this thread topic came up).

Extroverted
    Sensing
    Thinking
    Judging

Highlights from the in-depth description:

ESTJs thrive on order and continuity.
    ESTJs are joiners.
    Service, the tangible expression of responsibility, is another key focus for ESTJs.
    ESTJs have an acute sense for orthodoxy.
    ESTJs promote the work ethic.
    The ESTJ is outspoken, a person of principles, which are readily expressed. The ESTJ is not afraid to stand up for what she believes is right even in the face of overwhelming odds. ESTJs are able to make the tough calls.
    Occupations attracting ESTJs include teaching, banking, political office, and management at all levels.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

seeing some similarities

It's funny how we fool ourselves on these tests. Anyhoo, it's really Friday afternoon like this thread says, in Paris as we are 8 hours in the future. My 4 weeks ago injured knee is almost better. Let's see, ohhhh, one of my personality traits is I am involved and then I'm not because I get bored. Although, just as friendly and extroverted as usual. And one thing about these sorts of typologies is that we have other things that effect our interface with the world. Experience, social skills, Looks, learning disabilities, social histories, assundry issues. so it's kinda a "light action tool", which for communication on a certain level, especially the mechanical level it has some uses. Anyhoo, have a good weekend everyone. About 4PMish here and as terrible as it sounds kids don't get out of school here until 5PM on Fridays. So, gotta go pick up the cutest six year old in the entire world in a few mintues. Toodles Poodles

2nd edit, not that i really put much effort in editing just neat i can edit.
    Last edited by christinejosephine; 22 Mar 2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: threat to thread

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I always test ENFP. I know that's not surprising.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    ENTJ - just about what I expected.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Depending on the day I either test ENTP or INTP. I'm so borderline about being social.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    E/I NF J/P It's not easy being me.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The I in my INTJ is the only strong indicator I have. The J is next, but the N and T are so borderline they could almost flip.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

ENTJ
    Extravert(44%) iNtuitive(38%) Thinking(1%) Judging(11%)
    You have moderate preference of Extraversion over Introversion (44%)
    You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)
    You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
    You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (11%)
    The content contrarian

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I'm still a:

ISFJ (I'm always flipping on the Sensing/Intution-which if you met me would make sense )

Introvert(67%) Sensing(50%) Feeling(62%) Judging(33%)
    •You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
    •You have moderate preference of Sensing over Intuition (50%)
    •You have distinctive preference of Feeling over Thinking (62%)
    •You have moderate preference of Judging over Perceiving (33%)
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Old thread have their value but can't we like re-make Les Miserablé staring someone new?

I like the old threads but since most topics are widely known from the past of course, it's a bit strange to take a new thread and blend it in with the old thread. It feels like being forced on a car ride with my husband during a fight with his ex-wife from the past and forced to witness something that happened before I even knew them Can't we just take common topics and put a new spin on them? Sort of like Anne Hathaway playing Fantime and who knows who will play her in the future? A new interpretation?

Oh also, Meyers-Briggs is not the Jung topology they did correspond. And the 16 or so MB personality typologies are kinda like having 16 models of an I-Phone. What is in the hard drive is what is interesting. Our types are just how we interact, react and interface with the world. Also, keep in mind Introverted does not mean not social. I am extroverted and I don't socialize unless forced to for good reasons. And being introverted who does social stuff might have a different hard drive. Anyhoo, being introverted or extroverted does not substantiate socialness.

your fan CJ

Also, it might be easier if the new notes were on the top and not in the back. That would also make a case for not having to deal with ghosts of Christmas past. Although it could be attached for your re-reading enjoyment?

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Studying for tests
    Student Commons
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 Nov 2006, 10:43 PM
  2. Political Typology
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 28 May 2005, 1:45 AM
  3. Replies: 3