Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: December 31, 2009

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935

    December 31, 2009

    I for one will be happy to start the new decade fresh. 2000-2009 was really not cool. Not just me, but in general. So how will cyburbanites be ringing it in?

    I do not do "amateur night" at bars. I don't like being to a friends house and have to be on the road with drunks. This year, I am getting together with 11 of my bestest friends and we are renting a cabin "up nort" in Wisconsin. There will be games, libations, food galore (gays make the best hors de horvers), and many a joke.

  2. #2
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    20,574
    The last three New Years eves have been working holidays for me as I've been involved in the local downtown celebration. Our group's contract has a provision that prohibits us from performing more than three consecutive years so it looks like I'll be staying home, making horse doovers, and drinking sparkling wine. Probably watch a video - maybe Titan AE

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Hicksville
    Posts
    17,237
    I'll be staying home with the little woman.
    Probably be asleep before the clock strikes 12 (or 24 for you military-types).


    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    .... making horse doovers...
    Don't you mean "horse's ovaries"?
    Annoyingly insensitive

  4. #4
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,963
    We generally stay close to home. We have a number of friends within walking distance, which makes drinking a better decision.

    We have been toying with the idea of a progressive dinner. No, its not a political thing. Its where you start at one house and move on to others in the area, drinking and eating on the way. The party grows as you go.

    Incidentally, this is the New Mexico state slogan "It Grows as it Goes" What the hell does that even mean?!

    Chet said
    gays make the best hors de horvers
    But not the best spellers, evidently...

    <ducks and runs>
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  5. #5
    Cyburbian mike gurnee's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 1998
    Location
    Greensburg, Kansas
    Posts
    3,031
    It's going to be Y2.01K! The world is going to end for all computers.

  6. #6
    This year will be much different than previous years. This year I will be staying home with the hubby and my 4 month old son. Might have a glass of wine. And will be ringing in the new year with no job effective January 1st.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,442
    Blog entries
    5
    Usually we are at the annual Middle Eastern New Year's Eve bash in SC. This year we will be in NJ, but one from the Middle East clan will be visiting us so I am sure we will find something to do. No, I am not going to Times Square!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    8,436
    Ribs & Oyster roast at a friend's house and will have the air matteras with us just in case.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  9. #9
    The last two New Year's Eves have been spent at work...............I got a small consolation prize in the form of a few sips of chardonnay........but this year, I'm going to do everything I can to be off the clock and with my friends at midnight. As Chet said, this is not just a new year, it's a new decade. I'm more than ready for it and I want to ring it in in drunken stupor along with my closest friends. We'll see how that goes.

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    curiosity
    Posts
    20,405
    Nothing just like the past yrs - wake up Jan 1 sober and still single just like any other day.

    Back when I was on the Fire Dept the one night they staffed a second Engine, always signed up.

  11. #11
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,407
    No plans for me. The younger two kids usually go with their dad that night.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian dvdneal's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Remote command post at local bar
    Posts
    8,137
    I'm boring, just sit at home with the wife.
    The nice part is I get a birthday to celebrate a couple days later.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

  13. #13
    Cyburbian Veloise's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Posts
    5,000
    Last year I spent some time in Maister-ville at a rehearsal and performance.



    Then raced home to spend some time with a few thousand of my closest friends (switched horns).



    This year I am coordinating a nascent "first night" event. One venue, indoors, two stages, four+ acts. My new ragtime piano buddy has agreed to play, so we'll get to reprise our premiere (and I get to play!)


  14. #14
    Cyburbian rcgplanner's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Back in SE Texas
    Posts
    1,736
    Not sure what my plans are for this New Years Eve. Just moved to a new city so trying to figure out what to do. I am looking forward to New Years. It is a great chance to reset the board and start anew. It is even more poignant considering the overall rough decade this Country and to some extents the World have faced.

    Time Magazine had a cover story at the end of November calling the 00's the decade from hell. I would be inclined to agree. The decade started with silly panic over Y2K and quickly developed to the neverending saga of the 2000 Election. September 11, 2001 and the wars that were a result of the attacks, which are still going on now and probably will continue for several more years. Sadly every week we still see more scenes of young men and women coming home in caskets or with severe injuries from the battlegrounds of Iraq and Afghanistan.

    The US was hit with 2 severe economic downturns, the dot-com bust of 2000-2001 and the ongoing rescession of 2007/8-present. This was a decade of scandal from Enron and WorldCom to Bernie Madoff. Average salaries have decreased over the last decade and unemployment has set 25 and 30 year records.

    Also we can't forget Hurricane Katrina and how New Orleans and Mississippi are still trying to recover over 4 years later. The tsunami of 2004 that killed over 200,000 people.

    I for one see some hope for the new decade. Hopefully we will take the often painful lessons from this decade and learn from them.

    Sorry for the negative tone of my post, but I am hopeful for brighter days ahead! Happy (Early) New Years!!!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Not sure what my plans are for this New Years Eve. Just moved to a new city so trying to figure out what to do. I am looking forward to New Years. It is a great chance to reset the board and start anew. It is even more poignant considering the overall rough decade this Country and to some extents the World have faced.

    Time Magazine had a cover story at the end of November calling the 00's the decade from hell. I would be inclined to agree. The decade started with silly panic over Y2K and quickly developed to the neverending saga of the 2000 Election. September 11, 2001 and the wars that were a result of the attacks, which are still going on now and probably will continue for several more years. Sadly every week we still see more scenes of young men and women coming home in caskets or with severe injuries from the battlegrounds of Iraq and Afghanistan.

    The US was hit with 2 severe economic downturns, the dot-com bust of 2000-2001 and the ongoing rescession of 2007/8-present. This was a decade of scandal from Enron and WorldCom to Bernie Madoff. Average salaries have decreased over the last decade and unemployment has set 25 and 30 year records.

    Also we can't forget Hurricane Katrina and how New Orleans and Mississippi are still trying to recover over 4 years later. The tsunami of 2004 that killed over 200,000 people.

    I for one see some hope for the new decade. Hopefully we will take the often painful lessons from this decade and learn from them.

    Sorry for the negative tone of my post, but I am hopeful for brighter days ahead! Happy (Early) New Years!!!


    I saw that, it was a good article. Someone else (Newsweek, maybe?) called it the most turbulent decade since the 1960s. Any older people here care to comment on that? Whenever I read about the 60s it always sounded like an extremely tumultous time and I never thought to compare the 2000s to the 1960s, but then again a LOT did happen this decade.

    I too am hoping for a much better decade in the 2010s. I think it will be, once this economy picks back up. I'm looking forward to it.

  16. #16
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    6,683
    We will probably go out to dinner somewhere that we would be too cheap to go to the other 364 days of the year and then off to a party at a friend's house in the city of Hamtramck. Hopefully we will be in the car and headed home by 12:02 a.m.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  17. #17
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,442
    The local YMCA sponsors a Resolution Run so I'll be doing a 5k on 12/31 in the afternoon.

    For the evening we had talked about having some friends over but most of our friends have other plans, so it might just be the two of us. We have a pretty decent First Night celebration so maybe we'll check that out.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

  18. #18
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    We will probably go out to dinner somewhere that we would be too cheap to go to the other 364 days of the year and then off to a party at a friend's house in the city of Hamtramck. Hopefully we will be in the car and headed home by 12:02 a.m.
    Yeah I don't blame you those Hamtramck restraunts are pretty expensive. Last time I was at Zosia's Polish Village Cafe the combo plate was six bucks. I think the Pakastani restraunt is close to that now if you order the buffet!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  19. #19
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    This Bear and sig other Katie have no plans for 12-31-09. I have to work half a day, probably home about Noonish. We probably will be in bed before the ball drops in Times Square.

    Friends from northern Michigan would love to have us slide up, but that probably won't happen. If we do, though, I will be sure to lay on the rugged Tundra's horn as we blast past the Rose City exit on I-75. Not mentioning any......Detroit Planner names.

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  20. #20
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This Bear and sig other Katie have no plans for 12-31-09. I have to work half a day, probably home about Noonish. We probably will be in bed before the ball drops in Times Square.

    Friends from northern Michigan would love to have us slide up, but that probably won't happen. If we do, though, I will be sure to lay on the rugged Tundra's horn as we blast past the Rose City exit on I-75. Not mentioning any......Detroit Planner names.

    Bear
    Sorry you would need to blare the horn at 212 (West Branch's Hamburger Hill/Strip Mall) exit! I won't be up there, the pipes are drained for the winter.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  21. #21
    Stay home and watch the ball drop, drink some wine.

  22. #22
    Cyburbian TOFB's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Loma Linda's
    Posts
    1,516
    Gig in Springfield, Illinois with the Miracles and a HUGE payday!

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    HEH so my weekend at the resort 'Up Nort' with The Gheys just got better. 12/30 we are raiding the local thrift shop to make for a FABULOUS (NTTATWWT) OldE Lady Sweater Night. The more macreme or bedazzling the better.

    Then on NYE we are having "Ladies Panty Nite and Tree Skirt" night at the bar. Gotta wear (preferrably Wal*Mart) Wisconsin ladies sized lacy panties with a clearance rack Christmas Tree Skirt! I already committed to buying NYE tiaras at Dollar General, and I'm hot gluing cotton balls, candy canes, and all sorts of dollar general stuff to them. Including tampons.

    Remind me again -- why am I unemployed?

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Veloise's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Posts
    5,000
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    HEH so my weekend at the resort 'Up Nort' with The Gheys just got better. ...

    Remind me again -- why am I unemployed?
    Be sure to check the dollar spot at Tar-zhey. Much NYEve stuff there, including tiaras.

  25. #25
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    HEH so my weekend at the resort 'Up Nort' with The Gheys just got better. 12/30 we are raiding the local thrift shop to make for a FABULOUS (NTTATWWT) OldE Lady Sweater Night. The more macreme or bedazzling the better.

    Then on NYE we are having "Ladies Panty Nite and Tree Skirt" night at the bar. Gotta wear (preferrably Wal*Mart) Wisconsin ladies sized lacy panties with a clearance rack Christmas Tree Skirt! I already committed to buying NYE tiaras at Dollar General, and I'm hot gluing cotton balls, candy canes, and all sorts of dollar general stuff to them. Including tampons.

    Remind me again -- why am I unemployed?
    Now THAT'S a party!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. New Orleans, December 29, 2010
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 09 Sep 2010, 8:22 PM
  2. Cyburbia updates during December 24-25
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Dec 2008, 1:57 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 21 Nov 2006, 6:07 PM
  4. Predict the DOW - December 31, 2003
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jan 2003, 5:00 PM