Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GRE time!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

GRE time!

Hi everybody!

The good news is, I have the day off tomorrow!

The bad news is, it's so I can take the GRE!

My GPA was good enough to get me into grad school prior to taking the GRE, but I have to report my scores by the end of the semester in order to register for the spring.

I was wondering if any of you could offer any last minute advice on what to concentrate on for last minute studying? Is there a lot of geometry on there (I haven't had geometry or algebra since high school)?

Also, is there any weird stuff I should know about the test in general? I'm doing the computer based test.

Thanks everyone!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good Luck.
    No last minute / 11th hour study suggestions
    except put it out of your mind and get a good night of sleep.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004

Get Some Sleep

The only advice I have for you is not to rush, you have more time than you think. At the same time don't fall asleep at the wheel. The test that I took did have quite a bit of geometry, but if you had a study book you'll be fine. Good luck.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    There is a good amount of Geometry, but most of it is pretty simple. You'll need to know some basic formulas, like perimeter, area, volume, and the Pythagorean Theorem. If you worked through a study book you should be fine.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    last minute advice on what to concentrate on for last minute studying? Is there a lot of geometry on there (I haven't had geometry or algebra since high school)?
    You got it. algebra and geom. remember the formulas and terms and you will do good. I found the math part easier to study for than the english, becuase you can memorize math, but you either know english or you dont.

Good luck.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Wasn't as bad as I thought, though the analogies spanked my ass pretty hard. Will someone please tell me how analogies serve as an indicator of intelligence?

I took your advice and slept in a little. I was originally going to work part of the day, but your advice convinced me to do otherwise. After all, what good is comp time if you never use it?!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Wasn't as bad as I thought, though the analogies spanked my ass pretty hard. Will someone please tell me how analogies serve as an indicator of intelligence?
    Do you really want to start a discussion about "intelligence testing" and the many pitfalls therein?

May your scores be better than you expect and get you what you want for school.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Do you really want to start a discussion about "intelligence testing" and the many pitfalls therein?
    Hmmm... good point... I withdraw above referenced rhetorical question about whether analogies are a sign of intelligence! :-P

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Did you use any study books? If so, which ones?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I blew off the algebra since I never did understand it in high school, and still got a 650 in math (skipped every single algebra question). Don't sweat it. If you know either algebra or geometry, you'll do fine.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    Did you use any study books? If so, which ones?
    Nope, I took the test pretty much cold turkey. I borowed a friends college algebra stuff (graphing formulas, solve for x, etc) and then did a google search on geometry basics (determining angles based on side lengths, computing volumes, etc). However, math comes pretty easy to me. I would practice learning big words for the analogies portion though. I would look over a practice test to review how they word the questions; some of the math ones were difficult to respond to because of confusing wording.

EDIT: The computer based exam does not let you skip questions. Based on being correct/incorrect, you are offered a harder/easier question next. I guess they do some weird weighting system on the exam.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Nope, I took the test pretty much cold turkey. I borowed a friends college algebra stuff (graphing formulas, solve for x, etc) and then did a google search on geometry basics (determining angles based on side lengths, computing volumes, etc). However, math comes pretty easy to me. I would practice learning big words for the analogies portion though. I would look over a practice test to review how they word the questions; some of the math ones were difficult to respond to because of confusing wording.

EDIT: The computer based exam does not let you skip questions. Based on being correct/incorrect, you are offered a harder/easier question next. I guess they do some weird weighting system on the exam.
    Yeah it starts you off with what equals about a 550 on the math portion (different for verbal) and depending on whether or not you get the question right, it gives you a harder or easier question and raises your score (or lowers it) by 60 pts. or something.

The whole test sounds like a crock and seems to me to be more useless at determining future graduate level aptitude than the SAT is at determining how well I would do in college....of course, if I got the same score on the GRE as I did on my SAT, I would be a very happy boy.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    Yeah it starts you off with what equals about a 550 on the math portion (different for verbal) and depending on whether or not you get the question right, it gives you a harder or easier question and raises your score (or lowers it) by 60 pts. or something.

The whole test sounds like a crock and seems to me to be more useless at determining future graduate level aptitude than the SAT is at determining how well I would do in college....of course, if I got the same score on the GRE as I did on my SAT, I would be a very happy boy.
    Yep, I was right. I just got back from taking it and it WAS a crock. It was also one of the more torturous things Ive ever had to endure. (it sucked sitting in that room either too cold or too hot, etc.)

I did really suprisingly well on the Quantitative part, considering the fact that I absolutely guessed on the last 4 questions (I didnt even read the question, I was out of time).

But I didnt do as well as I thought I would have done on the verbal part....but oh well.

For comparison (and Im even a freakin liberal arts major) my scores were Quantitative: 710 and Verbal: 560. Quite odd, I think.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Does anyone know where I can find current ave. GRE scores of students enrolled in planning programs at Cal?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    I was lucky. When I applied for Grad School, I did not need to take the GRE because of the Program that I was in and my grades for my undergrad at Northern Michigan University. They said that they could wave it because enough of the students from NMU who went to WMU had no problems in Grad School.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I was lucky. When I applied for Grad School, I did not need to take the GRE because of the Program that I was in and my grades for my undergrad at Northern Michigan University. They said that they could wave it because enough of the students from NMU who went to WMU had no problems in Grad School.
    The school I am applying for doesnt even require it...but I wanted to take it since my GPA isnt that great.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2008, 10:23 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 6:20 PM
  3. Part Time / Full Time Mayors
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 06 Apr 2005, 3:24 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last post: 14 Jan 2005, 9:12 PM