Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Visiting grad school, need advice

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I like it!
    Excellent! How about this letter for a GRA?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Members of the Transportation Fellowship Committee:

I would first like to thank you for this excellent opportunity and express my great interest in this program. My initial interest in Portland State University was escalated when I learned of the available Transportation Fellowships, which strengthened my desire to attend this university.

In my opinion, two of the most important aspects of transportation are the environmental and social impacts of systems and of individual modes. A large portion of my interests, therefore, are strongly related to multimodal systems and the role that they play in our society. As an undergraduate at the University of Texas at Austin majoring in geography, I have been greatly interested in rail transportation and the potential effects that it could have in relieving stress from the highway system, thereby improving the environmental effects and the social usage of transportation. I also hold interest in bicycle and pedestrian transportation and would like to explore ways to improve and increase this zero-emission form of movement.

My prior experience with transportation includes an internship with the City of Austin’s Bicycle and Pedestrian program. During this internship, I worked intensively with GIS software, performed field work, and participated in the creation of the Pedestrian Master Plan. Similarly, as a part of the honors program in which I am currently enrolled, I have produced a thesis on the potential for a high speed rail system in Texas, which required many hours of individual research and writing. During this research, I developed excellent skills in information gathering and manipulation, and learned how to implement prior knowledge and skills into my research and reporting. In addition to this research and work experience, I have an extensive comprehension of GIS technologies and have learned and implemented several spatial analysis techniques during my education.

Due to my extroverted personality, I have a deep interest in social interaction—both with transportation systems and within the classroom and workplace. I am an outgoing and friendly individual who excels in communication skills and quickly builds interpersonal relationships. In addition, I excel at setting goals for myself and unremittingly work towards them until I am satisfied.

In conclusion, I feel that not only would I contribute to the research program, but I also would learn a great deal and would improve my……….(etc.)

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Here is the final paragraph

In conclusion, I feel that not only would I contribute to the program with my personality, character, and prior work experience, but I would also gain much experience and knowledge by participating in such an environment.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Aug 2010, 9:00 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Mar 2010, 11:16 AM
  3. One year before grad school - advice please!
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 5:31 PM
  4. Grad School advice
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Jul 2006, 9:19 AM
  5. Grad School Advice
    Student Commons
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 21 Oct 2005, 1:30 AM