Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Features You Find Annoying

Registered
    Aug 2001

Features You Find Annoying

I look back, wistfully, to the days when my house did not beep at me. I can't open the oven without a fire alarm sounding. I can't leave something sit in the microwave without it beeping five times every thirty seconds. I can't do laundry without the washer beeping when the load finishes, then every two minutes after that. The dryer just beeps when it is done, than thankfully shuts up.

This is a pet peeve of mine: machines that try to think for me. Why do the people who make these products think that consumers want these annoyances?

Microsoft is guilty of a few of these as well. Take autofill. If I type an address like:

1368 Main Street

I do not want to have it indented and the next line automatically started with 1369. The same is true of autocorrect. Sure, it isn't bad when it take my "hte" and corrects it to "the." But there are other words or names that I mean to spell the way I did, and I don't want the computer to second uess me.

I know I am not alone here. If you were going to tell the designer of some product that their convenience is really a pain in the ass, what would it be?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Whoever made PS2 should have made it easier for an adult to play DVDs on the system, without having to have an 11 year old do it for them.

Why does it take a booklet to set the clock on a cordless phone?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Here is my massive word pet peeve. and if anyone knows the solution I will send you a real gift.

Using styles within word to create headings (ie Section 1.2, Section 1.2.1.3(a) ) when you "cut" and "paste" the headings into a different document and they restart the numbering at 1. Tt drives me nuts to have to renumber everything everytime. This happens frequently as we reference our by-laws in this manner.

I'm also with Cardinal on the auto bullet/number feature.

I wish my car would beep at me when I leave the lights on, my crappy k-car did.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm let's see... I just hate useless things in general, like cameras on cell phones... and the number of useless apps and things that come with windows that use up space , work like $hit and can't be eliminated... like Outlook and IE and of course Paint and other useles things.

Autocomplete and autocorrect things on spreadsheet programs can be shut down or adjusted; and later on, the Neural nets and AI that control those features will be better and adaptive (I hope).

Cardinal.. if your fire alarm starts beeping every time you open the oven, you seriously need to check it... it's either bad configured or installed in the wrong place.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Douglas Adams covered this ground very well in the Hitchhiker's Guide's.

Remember the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation's Elevators and Marvin the depressed robot?

Yes indeed the day is coming when our Latte's will want to talk about Kafka and our Shirts will beg us to discuss our pre-cancerous skin legions. Barff!

I can't wait for talking tampons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I can't wait for talking tampons!
    Dear God, lets hope they don't learn ASL!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    What is this ASL that you speak of ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I fear the purchase of a new car. My current model has thrived with nothing more than topping up the oil for the last 50,000 miles. I assume that newer models with berate the owner who fails to change the oil and filter on a regular basis.

My car did have some problems in West Detroit. On the way back from a purchase of some "salvaged" materials in the City, the brakes decided they did not like stop and go traffic for 100 miles. In fact they were red hot and the mechanic said he couldn't fix the brakes until they cooled off overnight. The next day they fixed up the car better than it ever was, except the steering wheel is off kilter now. I did have to add 4 quarts of transmission fluid which apparently boiled away.

It really is annoying when the Check Engine light stays on all the time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    What is this ASL that you speak of ?
    ASL or a/s/l = Age/sex/location... I guess you're not into IM... 'cause that's very frequent.

k thx bye!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    ASL or a/s/l = Age/sex/location... I guess you're not into IM... 'cause that's very frequent.

k thx bye!
    I would think he meant "American Sign Language".

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by munibulldog
    I fear the purchase of a new car. My current model has thrived with nothing more than topping up the oil for the last 50,000 miles. I assume that newer models with berate the owner who fails to change the oil and filter on a regular basis.

My car did have some problems in West Detroit. On the way back from a purchase of some "salvaged" materials in the City, the brakes decided they did not like stop and go traffic for 100 miles. In fact they were red hot and the mechanic said he couldn't fix the brakes until they cooled off overnight. The next day they fixed up the car better than it ever was, except the steering wheel is off kilter now. I did have to add 4 quarts of transmission fluid which apparently boiled away.

It really is annoying when the Check Engine light stays on all the time.
    OMG! On Cyburbia I have learned to co-exist with gun controllers, liberal do gooders, egotistical planner gods, Amish GIS types, and the Urbanistas, but a guy who doesn't change his oil is committing an abomination against his fellow men. If I had a white glove sir I would slap you across the face and challenge you to pistols at 20 paces. Sir, you are to consider yourself upbraided. Even the biggest POS deserves new oil and a filter at 5000 miles.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Why whatever would they say?

Set the Babel Fish to Stun!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The "auto / fast up" button on some older subaru windows would not stop for fingers or doggie necks. Poor design.

My land rover has washer sprayers for the headlights which only go on 1 of every 5 times you spritz the windshiled. I love being the first car in line at a stoplight when people are crossing the street, and I hit the windshield washer button, forgetting that this time is the spray cycle. Blue speckled pedestrians are not amused.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Drove my MIL's minivan last weekend...man do new chevy's have some annoying features, like having the doors all lock as soon as you shift out of park, and the radio that stays on until you open the door. But do you think I could figure out how the rear windshield wiper worked? Nooooooooo...

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Why whatever would they say?

Ha! I wonder how many of us Cyburbians can understand what the three pictures are saying. I certainly do. Anyone else?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    MS Word's bullets & numbers function annoys nearly everyone I know. When you don't want it to autobullet, it does so anyway; when you want it to number a list of items, you somehow end up with two sets of "3,4, 5...". A former colleague of mine swears WordPerfect is a better program if only for this reason.

My answering machine has a day and time feature, but every time the power goes off (or we switch to/from daylight savings time), I have to get the stupid manual out to figure out how to reset it.

Our old VCR had a really annoying feature: if you hit the pause button while watching a movie, the video would return to "play" after a certain number of minutes. Great when you're stuck on a phone call on the other side of the room and the volume is turned up.

Fortunately, the buzzing feature on our washer and dryer can be turned on and off. Otherwise I think our poor dog (now deceased) would have been driven crazy. But the coffee machine beeps when the coffee's ready, and has an extended beep when it shuts off. I feel bad when we have guests visiting, and they're trying to sleep while I'm making coffee...

Gosh, I'm sure I could come up with a lot more. Cardinal has opened up a real Pandora's box for me!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    ...[snip]... If you were going to tell the designer of some product that their convenience is really a pain in the ass, what would it be?
    Twist-off beer caps. I like using a bottle opener.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RJ
    Twist-off beer caps. I like using a bottle opener.
    Also: "E-Z" Open things that never work... If they want to wrap things and put an easy opener in, I'd like it to work thank you; but I guess that's just too much to ask for.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    Ha! I wonder how many of us Cyburbians can understand what the three pictures are saying. I certainly do. Anyone else?
    Is it work safe? If so, do tell!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    It is impossible to turn off the headlights in my new Toyota. I have yet to figure out how to turn them off while the engine is running. Anyone else have this issue with their car?

My son used to get anoying toys with various beeps and noises. After a few weeks those toys would mysteriously lose power. Applicance and toy surgery is quite easy after a few tries. But finding the beepers in cars can be very hard and time consuming. Our old Malibu ha a seatbelt beeper that was just insanely loud and often went off at the wrong time. It took me a few years until I found and killed it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Chet, you could check the link of the image and go to the site that's where I went and translated it.

Oh and it's work safe.. I guess...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dasl.gif  

Registered
    Nov 2004
    OMG! On Cyburbia I have learned to co-exist with gun controllers, liberal do gooders, egotistical planner gods, Amish GIS types, and the Urbanistas, but a guy who doesn't change his oil is committing an abomination against his fellow men. If I had a white glove sir I would slap you across the face and challenge you to pistols at 20 paces. Sir, you are to consider yourself upbraided. Even the biggest POS deserves new oil and a filter at 5000 miles.
    Its not my fault, the "oil change" light and beeper never came on!

Registered
    May 2003
    My microwave keeps on beeping when it's done until you open the door.

It is impossible to turn off the headlights in my new Toyota. I have yet to figure out how to turn them off while the engine is running. Anyone else have this issue with their car?
    My dad used to have a car like that. It is really awful when you're trying to go through a checkpoint at a military base. "Sir! Please turn off your lights!"

On his, there was a knob that would turn it from "off" (which means on) and on (which means on even in the day). He found that if you turned the knob halfway between "off" and on, it'd actually turn off everything but the parking lights.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Drove my MIL's minivan last weekend...man do new chevy's have some annoying features, like having the doors all lock as soon as you shift out of park, and the radio that stays on until you open the door. But do you think I could figure out how the rear windshield wiper worked? Nooooooooo...
    As an owner of one of these chevy minivans, I can tell you that the switch for the rear windshield wiper was probably hidden behind the "beverage of choice" you had in the cupholders below the radio.

[ducking for cover]
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Is it work safe? If so, do tell!
    Yes, Chet, it's work safe. It fingerspells, F-I-S-H-Y: Fishy.

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Chet, you could check the link of the image and go to the site that's where I went and translated it.

Oh and it's work safe.. I guess...
    As part of fulfilling my newly assumed role of being an interpreter of ASL for you Cyburbians, what SkeLeton has attached to his post fingerspells: S-L-A-C-K-E-R: slacker.
    Last edited by nerudite; 27 Jun 2005 at 10:31 PM. Reason: merged

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New features for threads - Requests
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Mar 2010, 10:52 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jun 2007, 9:35 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Jul 2006, 12:38 PM