Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are you a blogger?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Are you a blogger?

...if so, and you don't mind me linking to your blog, can you send me a PM granting me permission to do so?

I've been comtemplating starting a blog for some time now, and I've figured it all out, and I'm ready to go! Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    From the wise words of General Ization: "Blogs are for attention whores."

At least those blogs of teenage angst/goths/suicidals/etc... I've never read a good blog, only the aforementioned time; that are funny for the first parragraph, they it just gets sad.
    And besides, I just don't like the voyeristic side of it. I preffer IM and Forums.

Registered
    May 2003
    My blog is at http://hafd.org/~jordanb/

But there are only two articles on it.

sort-of planning related, mostly

http://mdahmus.thebaba.com/blog/

Mostly about Austin transportation, 90% about commuter rail.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I don't, but my better half does. PM me if you want the link. It may not be work safe though, just a warning.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I started blogging, but didn't keep up with it after the basement flooded. I hope to get back into it for the therapeutic aspects, or perhaps I'll just get back to writing in a journal. Reading the early diary of Anais Nin (she has to be the brightest 11 y.o. I've ever witnessed!), I've been inspired to take more account of my daily life. Things that we take for granted as happening every day and therefore don't write about, may be of interest 40 years from now. I'm learning a lot about immigration, the French outlook on the events of WWI and even settlement patterns of Long Island just from reading her childhood diary.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have a blog that I occasionally update.

http://at40man.blogspot.com

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yes Ive blogged for I guess almost 3 years now but Im not about to share it
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I PM'd wanigas? about my blog right away.. but i'll post here anyway since it's in my sig.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I do have a blog that I started six months ago, but it only has four posts. Maybe this will provide the incentive to post more on it.

pete-rock's blog

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    What exactly are blogs? Is it like an invite-only online journal?
    Or sort of a progress report on your life or opinions that anyone interested can read?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    What exactly are blogs? Is it like an invite-only online journal?
    Or sort of a progress report on your life or opinions that anyone interested can read?
    The short answer is yes, they're both.

Some people use them as online diaries, and post fairly private info. Others use them as their stream-of-consciousness opinion on everything, for everyone to see. Still more use them to talk about specific subjects or interests, kind of like mine.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to put my blog on hold. Life is getting too busy!

I've already got something on Blogspot but it's dumb. I think I will abort that attempt.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Therre are links to a bunch of planning-related blogs, and blogs written by planners, in the Planning Resource Directory.

For the most part, when I think of a personal blog, I think of SkeLeton's example: an emo girl who usually has a blog entry like ...

i cant believe how selfish my parents are. they stopped paying for my cell phone last month because i didnt stop cutting myself like i promised so i had to start calling all my livejournal friends long distance. now my parents are mad at me because the phone bill is $400 and mom said that if i don't get a job she's going to take my car away and make me ride the bus to school. i hate them. they dont understand my angst. nobody understands me. i think ill post more pictures of me at onlyundiesclub.com

had we never met
    the closest I would have ever gotten to you
    was in my mother's womb.
    i probably heard the sirens and coastal winds
    coupled with the talk of palm trees and seagulls
    but I would never know it
    as the infantile brain doesn't have the capacity to
    remember such things
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm computer-impaired. I still don't understand what a blog is. Somebody please enlighten me.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I'm computer-impaired. I still don't understand what a blog is. Somebody please enlighten me.
    blog is short for "web log"....ie it is a form of journal for some folks but you can keep logs about anything that takes your fancy. I have had someone lovingly suggest I start a blog as a nice way of saying "please stop telling your Life Story on the e-mail list we both belong to -- that isn't what I joined it for".

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    For the most part, when I think of a personal blog, I think of SkeLeton's example: an emo girl who usually has a blog entry like ...

i cant believe how selfish my parents are. they stopped paying for my cell phone last month because i didnt stop cutting myself like i promised so i had to start calling all my livejournal friends long distance. now my parents are mad at me because the phone bill is $400 and mom said that if i don't get a job she's going to take my car away and make me ride the bus to school. i hate them. they dont understand my angst. nobody understands me. i think ill post more pictures of me at onlyundiesclub.com
    Dan... you crack me up.
    Too bad that the planner blogs are like the 0.0000001% of all, versus the 99.999999% of all the emo chicks and guys out there... I guess that means normal people have lives, and they don't need no blogs. Not that I'm saying that planners who have blogs don't have a life... since many of you apparently don't have enough time to bitch and moan there 24/7 and only update it once or twice

Registered
    May 2003
    had we never met
    the closest I would have ever gotten to you
    was in my mother's womb.
    i probably heard the sirens and coastal winds
    coupled with the talk of palm trees and seagulls
    but I would never know it
    as the infantile brain doesn't have the capacity to
    remember such things
    That's beautiful man. [wipes tear from eye]

Have you ever considered a bad poetry contest, Dan?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Try this on for size. I found a gold mine and can add more if you want!

all alone in the dark, dark night
    i wonder where i should be.
    this silence weighs so heavily
    on my skin
    suffocating me
    i'm fading.
    fading so fast
    the woodwork holding me so tight.
    and all i want is..

Registered
    Nov 2002
    ...they dont understand my angst. ...
    That's great, although an angst filled teen would never actually use the word "angst."

Registered
    May 2004
    I started one up for my planning program as an outlet for thought on planning issues in my city. Anyway, it's up and running and slowly getting some publicity.

metrospokane

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Jun 2007, 10:36 AM