Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transit-Oriented Development Policies

Registered
    Dec 1998

Transit-Oriented Development Policies

I'm looking for cities that have incorporated transit-oriented development policies into their comprehensive land use and/or transportation plans. These policies do not have to necessarily relate to light rail. Fixed bus routes, bike paths, walking trails, etc. are also acceptable. Thanks in advance!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We've adopted a comprehensive bikeways plan as a component to our master plan. You can see a copy at http://www.cityofwhitewater.com/docu...ikewaysMap.pdf . Red denotes signed bike routes, blue is for on-street bike lanes, and green is for off-road paths.

INACTIVE
    Registered
    Jul 2002

Transit friendly plan

The toronto official plan has been presented to the public but not yet ratified.It is very transit friendly and has already been used in zoning and planning decisions.Details can be found on the city's website at Toronto.com or on a link from ezboard Torontoskyscraperforum under toronto issues.I've also heard that Portland Or. has a transit friendly plan.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Toronto's new Official Plan is very much weighted towards public transit, walking, cycling, etc. - but it's more at the high-level policy end and less at the nuts-and-bolts level that I think Planderella is looking for. Toronto is leaving those types of policies for the Secondary Plans and Corridor studies that will spring from the new plan.

About 7 years ago, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation put out it's landmark "Transit-Supportive Land Use Planning Design Guidelines" - the Blue book. Not sure if you'd have much luck finding it down in LA, but if you can dig it up it's worth it.

I'm sure if you surfed the APA or TRB websites you could find some good references. Try the Cyburbia links section!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The City of Davis in CA has a good bicycle/greenbelt system. Here are some links if you are interested:

http://www.ci.davis.ca.us/pb/gp/004-02-Mobility.pdf (Mobility Element to the General Plan)

http://www.ci.davis.ca.us/topic/bicycles.cfm (Public Works site dedicated to bike info... including a link to their bicycle plan)

If you are looking for development standards geared toward transit, the City of Vancouver has a good set of standards (the only problem being that they are voluntary... but there are good ideas here):

http://www.ci.vancouver.wa.us/vmc/default.shtm You will need to go to Title 20, Chapter 20.95.

Registered
    Aug 2002

Illinois

Try visiting any old rail line or streetcar suburb. TOD is not a new idea...TOD applied to current-day design standards and land use policy is a new idea for some places.

Here's where I was born and raised:

I'm thinking of the Route 59 Station on the Burlington Northern Santa Fe, Chicago to Aurora. There are TOD's there--strip mall, apartments, cleaners inside train station. About 100 of the 233 Metra Rail stops provide examples.

Also, Portland, Oregon along MAX light rail is full of examples.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 31 Oct 2010, 3:39 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Mar 2008, 6:11 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Oct 2007, 8:38 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Apr 2005, 7:57 PM
  5. Transit-oriented development
    Design, Space, and Place