Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Aerials of tsunami destruction....

Registered
    Nov 2004

Aerials of tsunami destruction....

Be sure to click on the "before" button to see the aftermath. Pictures 5-11 are pretty intense.

http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/

Registered
    Dec 1998
    The first few were kind of confusing, but the last ones really showed the damage.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow... that's pretty amazing. I wish they would have put times/dates on the before and after photos though.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    that is all I can think right now.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Wow... the damage in Sri Lanka is quite odd (and little, comparing to Banda Aceh...) specially I find it wierd that the sea retracted... and hasn't gone back to normal.

The Banda Aceh pics were quite impressive and heartbreaking...
    Windshield note: "What you had, is now underwater.I'm sorry. -God"

Sorry for the bad joke.... spank me.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Those airials of Banda Aceh are amazing. The news phots I've seen so far don't give you a sense that these do, for one thing, that this city was more than a third world shantytown. There were parks, civic spaces, paved roads, bridges. I didn't expect it to be that nice or highly developed. There was a constructed harbor at the shore. Its going to take an incredible effort to rebuild it all.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater
    Those airials of Banda Aceh are amazing. The news phots I've seen so far don't give you a sense that these do, for one thing, that this city was more than a third world shantytown. There were parks, civic spaces, paved roads, bridges. I didn't expect it to be that nice or highly developed. There was a constructed harbor at the shore. Its going to take an incredible effort to rebuild it all.
    I felt the same way - not really knowing the extent of the devastation, or how developed things were the Aceh. Wow.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Those aerials are amazing (not in a good way).

I think that the waters have retracted, but the reason some things are still flooded is because of massive ammounts of erosion and elevation shifts from the earthquake.

My Grandpa was stationed in Hawaii during that tsunami in 1946 and told stories about Hilo. The damage in this tsunami was humbling.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Tsunami
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 63
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 10:05 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 28 Oct 2010, 3:22 PM
  3. Pre-tsunami and post-tsunami
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Apr 2006, 12:04 AM