Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Chronologicly endowed/challenged

Registered
    Jul 2002

Chronologicly endowed/challenged

For those of you who, like myself, can remember the Eisenhower administration, how are you looked upon at work, as a sage with years of wisdom to be passed onto the young grasshoppers in your midst, or, as a coprolite?
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2006

From The Mountain Top

Difficult as it may be to believe, my younger co-workers are just as open to my wisdom as those in my age cohort. Hey, I don't pay attention to most of what I say either! But they don't look at me as a coprolite, coprolites have stopped out-gassing a long time ago.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    As someone from the younger persuasion (30), I try and soak up all the wisdom I can get, as long as I feel I'm not being looked down upon or talked to condescendingly.

Especially in regards to the planning profession, there is just so much that needs to be understood about playing the political game. The wisdom of those chronologically endowed definitely is important.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

A mentor told me to listen to everyone, even a panhandler because you never know what pearls of wisdom you might hear
    Life is a ongoing learning experience regardless of age
    He had been respected mayor for the same city for over 35 years
    I have found he was right

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Woo-Hoo! Throw Away The Tape Measure!

Finally.....a thread with the word "endowed" that I can post on.

In the workplace, younger folks look to me for answers about manufacturing (given my background in that discipline), advice about relationships (hah!.....if they only knew!), and hit me with the general trivia questions that a near-senior has accumulated in and around the brain cells not roughed-over with alcohol.

Mostly though, they humor me with deer-in-the-headlight stares as I ramble on about the little events that shaped my life. I will usually throw in a generational code word or phrase ("wazup?") or reference Wilco or Radiohead. Keeps the squirts on their toes.

Demographics of my workplace: 155 employees......50 are office employees.....only 4 office employees are in our 60s (including me).....in the warehouse, we have about a dozen employees near retirement.....most night shifters are in their 20s....most day shifters are in their 20s and 30s.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Being in my mid-40's I'm squarely in the middle. I find that I appreciate wisdom from elders a whole lot more than I did when I was, say in my 20's or even early 30's. There are, of course old fools and one of the challenges in life is being able to recognize that feature even when it appears in folks who might otherwise appear very sage. Over the years I have learned there is definitely a distinction between knowlege and wisdom. This distinction has not always been clear to me. I recall when I applied for my first batch of jobs and reading ads that said things like 'must have a degree in such and such or 6 years equivalent experience in the field....' and thinking 'well I've got the degree so I'm on equal footing with anyone who has 6 years experience!' <<<NEWSFLASH>>> all other things being equal, most employers would prefer the individual with proven experience over the smart and edumacated ones (unless of course the experienced ones come with exhorbitant salary demands, but that's whole other experience-rated story).

What is the difference between smarts/education versus experience? A bright young mind might think/espouse the latest and greatest management principles and have no reluctance to implement them. In some instances that can be a good thing, but the Old Dog on the block is going to look at any new plan more critically and be able to identify why a given idea may or may not work simply because they've seen where human friction enters the picture. In other worlds they may have a better understanding of where, how, and perhaps why change may be resisted by those who will implement it.

Registered
    Jul 2002

smarts

A couple comments.
    1.Basic intelligence is like running speed in baseball. There is no substitution for it.
    2. You learn things through experience that you don't in school because they don't teach them there because many profs don't know about them.
    3. Too much time at one job/place may qualify you as a survivor which requires its own type of intelligence and experience but doesn't necessarily make you a good planner.
    5. The first thing you should learn at the job is that you don't know everything and never will.
    6. And finally....I forgot the rest (coproliteism).
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2006

More spin

1. Education provides the foundation.
    2. A foundation without a building is a wasted foundation.
    3. Experience provides the building.
    4. If you don't maintain the foundation (more education), even the best building will fail.
    5. No building has ever successfully outlived it's foundation.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2003
    Coprolite? I'm getting too old to coprolite.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 24 Apr 2013, 1:05 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Sep 2008, 12:00 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 25 Mar 2005, 1:59 AM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last post: 22 Oct 2004, 7:03 PM
  5. Are you ethically challenged?
    Friday Afternoon Club