Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Office dress standards and regional differences

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I work for a County...but not in economic development. We range between your image of Econs and Muni planners. We do have a dress code and dress down Fridays. Our Environmental Planners are a bit more casual than the land use/regional planners.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by plannerkat
    ... That said, I keep my ink covered in the office...
    I agree with you. I previsouly said I didnt want to see it in the office. I am inked and pierced too, but would never display either on purpose in the office.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Productivity Improvement With Jeans

Unzipping an old thread (about threads!). This morning I was meeting with our Human Resource Director. Somehow our conversation moved to dress codes and jeans. She said, "If I could wear jeans to work I could get much more done. I love wearing jeans and because they are so comfortable I just move quicker and stay more alert and more productive."

I believe there is a good amount of truth in that statement. Because of our cultural and business impression "requirements", we wear clothing that inhibits fluid movement, restricts speed in movement, almost forces us into a slow dance that hinders efficient brain activity.

Or does it?

What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2007
    My cousin's boss was going to send out a memo regarding dress codes on Casual Fridays that included a "No Thongs" statement in the list. My cousin, after getting some clarification from her boss, edited the draft memo to read, more correctly, "No Flip Flops"...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Unzipping an old thread (about threads!). This morning I was meeting with our Human Resource Director. Somehow our conversation moved to dress codes and jeans. She said, "If I could wear jeans to work I could get much more done. I love wearing jeans and because they are so comfortable I just move quicker and stay more alert and more productive."

I believe there is a good amount of truth in that statement. Because of our cultural and business impression "requirements", we wear clothing that inhibits fluid movement, restricts speed in movement, almost forces us into a slow dance that hinders efficient brain activity.

Or does it?

What say you?

Bear
    Undoubtedly. Even on the days when I just wear sneakers I am more productive. One of the things that attracted me to planning was that you got to spend time in the field and could wear jeans and sneakers. In my internship and previous job that was the case, now I'm stuck in the office most days & weeks. Booooo.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Now that I'm in Engineering, I can wear jeans every day unless I have to meet with a commissioner.
    Man, with the heat and humidity down here, I can only wear jeans in the winter. I don't know how people do it. We do not have casual fridays. If we did, people would show up in board shorts and flip flops.

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Office casual for us Mon-Thurs, casual Friday. Men - pants, shirt, some with ties, others not. Women - no denim, no sleeveless, in summer straps OK as long as Director doesn't have a problem. Fridays - jeans OK, decent/non-offensive T-shirts OK, tennis shoes, in summer, sandals.

I tend to be at the middle of the Mon-Thurs group - heels, pants or skirt, nice sweater or top. Friday I don't like to wear jeans, so I'm at the top of the pile then.
    Ours is a lot like this...........except we are requires to wear ties to meetings (city council, p & z, etc)....City of 17,000 in Texas...........of course there are many regional differences, but I have tseen the dress code goes along with the city size.........pop 700, casual..............pop 5,000, casual (jeans every day); 65,000, less casual (no dress downs Friday); regional agency, less casual (slacks & shirt for guys, dresses for gals)

[QUOTE Eastland bucks. Friday's are jeans and clean sneakers with city logo shirts unless there is an important meeting. [/QUOTE]

Here too..............if you want to buy one.....never have worked for a county in 23 yrs..........always paid less...........

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 23
    Last post: 31 May 2006, 2:26 PM
  2. How to dress for this event?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 18 Nov 2005, 12:33 PM
  3. Dress him up, or down..
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2