Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: School suggestions: Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA)

School suggestions: Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA)

Hello.

I was hoping to ask you all about landscape architecture master's programs. I have a bachelor's degree in economics and I would like to get master's degrees in urban planning and landscape architecture. I haven't been able to find out very much about the landscape architecture programs at specific schools. I wish the ASLA put out a guide like the architecture and planning societies do.

I am thinking of applying to Cal-Berkeley, Univ. of Washington, Univ. of Michigan, Cornell, and Harvard. I was wondering if people here had opinions about their various programs. I would also welcome any school suggestions. I am looking for schools with both urban planning and landscape architecture master's degree programs. For urban planning, I'd like to specialize in land use or GIS, so it would help if the programs were strong in these areas. For landscape architecture, I'd like to specialize in site planning, urban design, or land development planning.

I first started wanting to get a master's degree in urban planning. Then I thought that architecture sounded interesting too. I didn't want to learn about ventilation systems and air ducts, though. I also wanted to broaden my focus from just the buildings. I was so glad to find out something like landscape architecture exists. Now I just wish I could find out more about how to select specific programs.

How important is it to go to school in the area where you would like to work later? I am from Chicago and I would eventually like to return there, but I am not averse to living in the area of these schools for a few years. Will trying to relocate back to the Midwest be difficult?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Please either post here or send me an e-mail at eromitlab@hotmail.com.

Thank you.
    Dou-Yan Yang

See some older messages in the Planning section and Planning Student section. There is some discussion there about LA and planning programs.

The best way to find out about specific programs is to email professors and students with specific questions. Berkeley, Mich and Harvard of course have excellent programs, and at least Harvard and Berkeley have joint programs. I don't know about the others.

Transferring back to midwest will not be difficult, especially with schools like those mentioned. You may also want to contact some professionals in Chicago to ask their advice, since they are in the field where you want to be. Given your interests, you may want to check out Camiros in Chicago.

I received MLA and MRP, and I'm glad I did. It took longer than just one, but it is starting to pay off.

Good luck

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 May 2012, 8:12 PM
  2. Landscape architecture to planner suggestions
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Mar 2009, 1:21 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Sep 2008, 2:01 PM
  4. Replies: 17