Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Birth of a freeway

Registered
    May 2004

Birth of a freeway

The Seattle Viaduct thread got me to think a bit more of some of WSDOT's plans for my side of the state. I wish I lived in a progressive area like Seattle or Portland where projects like the viaduct tunnel (or tunneling I-5 through downtown Portland) are not only considered but may get implemented. The idea of 'burying the interstate" or implementing a "light rail" seem well out of reach over here in Spokane.

Instead WSDOT has planned and is beginning construction of our very own North-South freeway (they call it a "corridor"). The plan is to spend $1.4billion dollars to implement this white elephant relic of a freeway of which only Robert Moses would be proud. A light rail in another part of town would only cost around $500 million.

Here you can see the birth of it...20 years from now you'll probably be able to drive it as well. Ahhhh... progress.

Project site

Registered
    Oct 2004
    I find it interesting how its 8 lanes wide because I-84 out of downtown Portland is only 6 lanes wide.

Portland will be getting a new freeway (the first since I-205 was completed 25 years ago), its the Sunrise Corridor running east from I-205 near the Clackamas Town Center through the new area of Damascus and out to highway 26.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I noticed while diving around this Dec. that a few new freeways are poping in the Mid-South as well. I might just be where I have lived, but I havent seen a new one in years (besides a minor extention or finger here or there). Has the freeway system been relatively stagnent or have they just not been in the South?

The two I noticed: I-555 in Ark and I-22 in Mississippi.

Here is a good site with all new freeway projects:

http://www.interstate-guide.com/future.html

There are a ton!
    Last edited by H; 09 Jan 2005 at 10:01 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I-22 was a collection of existing roads that the various states it runs through upgraded to Interstate standards. So they didn't really appear out of nowhere.

There are some really crazy proposals for adding more interstates through Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolinas that baffle the mind. Many of them are being pitched as job creation engines. You'd think with all the problems we have in the Sun Belt that we could think up other grand projects to waste government money on.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    I-22 was a collection of existing roads that the various states it runs through upgraded to Interstate standards. So they didn't really appear out of nowhere.
    Yes, I know Highway 78 well. It was the road I traveled back and forth from Mississippi to Atlanta for several years of my life during the 90s. True I-22 is (mostly) already there, but much of the "new" 78 has in fact appeared out of nowhere during the 90's thru Alabama and the changing from a state highway to an interstate is still a very big road level increase.

The I-555 corridor is similar as it is currently Ark. state 63.

Many new interstates are collections of old roads... but there is still an impact when they are converted.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Many new interstates are collections of old roads... but there is still an impact when they are converted.
    Absolutely. There are certain public perceptions about roads that have been designated an Interstate versus a US highway route. Even if the US route is totally converted over to four lane limited access, unless it has the Interstate stamp of approval, it isn't going to attract as much business. Plus it makes the state look bigger and more important on the map.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Oh it's too bad that there's not a nation map on that website to show where all the potential future interstate highways.

Or did I miss the link somewhere at the site?

When I saw all the highways that are in the air for being built, I must say that I was suprised to see the number of highways, although I cannot say that I had the time to read through them to see if they are dream projects or not.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    From the pictures, it looks like the road is truly seperating the urban/rural areas and wetlands from each other. In no time at all, the rural area will look like its counterpart on the westside of the road.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Birth order
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 102
    Last post: 23 May 2007, 3:15 PM
  2. The Changes In The Birth Process
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 29 Jun 2006, 2:57 PM
  3. Freeway to nowhere
    Design, Space, and Place