Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fear Factor gets sued.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Fear Factor gets sued.

Fear Factor gets sued.

I am thinking that if this guy wins the case, people are going to just line up for free money, and the FCC will put a stop to much of the gross stuff we see on TV.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    On the one hand we have asinine tv programming catering to the lowest common denominator, and on the other hand we have asinine litigation on behalf of the lowest common denominator.....who says two wrongs can't make a right?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2000
    So do anorexics and bulemics have a case against Ally McBeal for causing body disorder issues?

Could people be more retarded?

Yes - the show is horrible and disgusting, but, come one. turn it off if your stomach is so sensitive you can't handle what's on.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It sounds stupid, but maybe they've got a point (although not a $2.5m point). Should "our" airwaves have this stuff on them? I know people can choose not to watch crap, but an old man with medical issues wouldn't expect to see something so disgusting on NBC. This isn't an issue of something being subjectively shocking to prudish people - eating dead rats crosses some line doesn't it? Why is a breast obscene to our FCC but the most gruesome stuff people can think of is ok?

I've always wondered how these contestants don't die after eating raw and disgusting things. Antibiotics can't save you from everything.

That Joe Rogan is a talented guy isn't he?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!

CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!!!!!!!!!

While I do not like the show myself, I can always chenge the channel....

My favorite part was where he said he couldn't discuss the lawsuit unless it was a PAID INTERVIEW....

....this one is good....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I can just see all the other law suits if this guy wins

“Woman sues sex and the city for emotional distress from not getting as much as the characters on the show.”
    “Man with one leg sues NBC for airing the Olympics for not having a handicap individual as a commentator.”
    “Parents sue sponge Bob Square Pants Creator, Disney Corporation, and WB because child will not wear a **** because none of the characters do.”
    “Teen sues Jim Kerry because they laughed so hard, soda came out of her nose and caused emotional distress while others laughed at her, as well as pain and suffering.”
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2002
    I hope the guys wins because if he does, I'm going to sue Fox Sports and the Lions both for the extreme depression that the horrible performance of the Lions caused me after they started the season 4-2.

\Sarcastic mode off
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Just some simple wise words:
    If you don't like it... don't see it... nobody's forcing you to see it.
    Tur off the TV (for once you lazy a$$!!) or change the channel at least!

Registered
    May 2003
    Broadcast companies are entrusted with control of the public airspace to promote the public good. How does trash TV promote the public good?

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Fear Factor gets sued.

I am thinking that if this guy wins the case, people are going to just line up for free money, and the FCC will put a stop to much of the gross stuff we see on TV.
    Do you see this as a bad thing? Nothing would please me more than to pull the plug on every single Reality TV show on the airwaves.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Do you see this as a bad thing? Nothing would please me more than to pull the plug on every single Reality TV show on the airwaves.
    That isn't the way to do it though. This will only lead to pointless lawsuits, just like the coffee at McDonald's. Trump making a small boy cry screaming "You're FIRED", not liking that The Biggest Loser is a show that hurts even the contestants moral. Reality TV is something that is bad, but sueing NBC will not change this. Although I agree that Reality TV is beyond annoying, it is sad that people think they are entitled to things that aren't theirs. Anyways, I am off my soapbox.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2003
    The coffee at McDonalds wasn’t frivolous. The woman received very serious burns and sued for medical costs. The Jury gave her a huge punitive award when it came out in discovery that McDonalds knew the coffee was dangerously hot and had ignored complaints in the past, that customers didn’t like it that hot, but that it makes them less likely to go back for free refills (saving the company money).

I'm not saying bad lawsuits don't happen, but the McDonalds coffee lady wasn't one of them. It was like the Ford Pinto: a corporation putting customers in danger to save itself money. It's exactly the type of thing punitive damages were created to prevent.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I agree with you, but you are telling me that that lady did not know the her coffee would be hot? Would you agree that she would have complained if it was too cold? Or maybe even asked for her money back. I do agree with you that she was harmed and deserves her medical bills paid for, but giving her the sum she recieved, is just crazy.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- The sum of money was awarded to punish McDonalds for putting their customers in danger to save money. That's why it's called "punitive damages." The lady did not ask for those damages but the jury awarded them. If they had not been at least what McDonalds had saved by making the coffee so hot, they would have continued to do that because it would have made them money even after the settlement.

Basically the same thing happened with the Ford Pinto. The gas tank was exploding but that was before punitive damages, so Ford figured it was cheaper to pay the death awards than to recall the vehicles and fix the problem, until finally the courts got fed up and slapped Ford with an award that would make them notice.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Interesting, I had not heard of that one. You are correct. Too bad we don't have lawyers here, that could help our discussion. Cheers Jordanb.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    IIRC, the whole McDonald's issue was not frivolous. There were internal memos that stated that McDonald's ignored concerns and complaints for people's safety by making their coffee too hot for consumption. After comparisons to competitors' coffee, it became obvious that McDonald's was serving coffee that was too hot. Internal memos about the coffee issue really made McDonald's look bad.

Sure, some lawsuits are frivolous and dollar figures may seem huge... but when you are dealing with a multi-billion dollar corporation, a punitive damage that is a few thousand is not punitive at all.

But if a lawsuit is frivolous, it never gets very far. What if NBC had received complaints regarding showing <insert name of certain stunt> that was indecent for public viewing and that they had internal psyche experts stating that they are endangering the safety of the viewing public by showing such a stunt? Maybe there is some culpability in that case.

If you really want to end frivolous lawsuits, losers should be required to pay all court costs, as a rule.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What is with people? It's not like he was forced to watch it. Further, I believe tuat placing a gov't ban on shows like Fear Factor would be violating the constitution.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    He said the show caused his blood pressure to rise so high that he became dizzy and light-headed, and when he ran away to his room, he bumped his head into the doorway.
    This article caused me to laugh and choke on my gum, which in turn caused me to fall out of my chair, and bruise my shoulder. Money…er law suit here I come!!

I might be misinformed, but to my understanding the contestants on the show are requested to eat things that are a delicacy in some part of the world. Not to mention it is part of the show.

Maybe I should become a vegan and watched someone eat a hamburger in a movie, then sue them.
    “Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    Jul 2002
    There needs to be a criminal charge against IDIOTS who think that TV is real life stuff...let's get rid of the friggin reality shows or pretty soon American kids are going to think that life really happens inside of a lighted box.

This is kinda stretching it, don'tcha think? Along with "oh I spilled hot coffee on myself so I think I'll sue McDonalds."

HOT = BE CAREFUL
    FEAR FACTOR = DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME
    TV = IT'S NOT REALLY REAL. REALLY.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    This is kinda stretching it, don'tcha think? Along with "oh I spilled hot coffee on myself so I think I'll sue McDonalds."

HOT = BE CAREFUL
    We've gone over this before, but the McDonald's issue wasn't as frivolous when it is examined closely.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Beckham Factor
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 23 Jul 2007, 10:11 AM
  2. The WOW factor in our communities.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 Jul 2007, 11:04 AM
  3. Replies: 13