• Other - please specify

7 14.29%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Real Pizza Thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The Pizza Thread

I heard there is this guy that lives in Albania that doesn't like pizza...apart from him I believe pizza is everyone else on Earth's Favorite Food. Looking at Jordanb's picture of the Chicago style pizza (complete with pool of grease floating on top) on the 'fit &fat city thread' tortured me with a pizza craving so badly yesterday I had to order a 'Chicago Style Pizza USA' (local mom n pop pizza joint that makes a reasonably close facsimile to the Real Thing) deep dish spinach and sausage. Got myself a cold 6 pack of Moosehead - and proceeded to burn the roof of my mouth while scarfing down the blistering hot pizza (does anyone else know I'm talking about when I say I had 'stalactites' this morning?). It was pretty good, but I'm afraid I need a real Chicago style pizza to truly satisfy this craving. What's your favorite crust? Toppings?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Pizza is one of the best. I like sausage, mushroom, and onion. Had some good pizza at the APA in Chicago a few years ago. Pizzaria Uno I think was the place.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I like deep dish, but thin crust rocks. Mushrooms, sausage, onion, black olives with a slightly sweet tomato sauce. Lisa's pizza on Oakland and North across the street from Sentry on Milwaukee's east side. Best thin crust pizza ever.

Pizza Corral in LaCrosse is supposed to be really good too according to my fiance.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    WOW, I'm already hungry thanks to you.

I love all types of pizza. But my favorite has to be thin crust, with extra cheese, mushrooms, peperoni, onion, and olives.

I have been getting into the "take-n-bake" Mediterranean (sp?) pizzas. As well as the cron meal crust pizzas my health conscience parents will get.

But cold Moosehead and a deep dish may be calling me this weekend.... MAN that sounds good.

(I have the feeling I'll be adding more to this thread later)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

My son does not like pizza As it is my personal favorite, I'm wondering wether he's actually my kin. DNA test, anyone?

My favorite was a place called Brother Bruno's in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. Crispy, foldable crust with the tangiest pepperoni you ever tasted. My old GF used to get -- gulp -- anchovies on her half. Just goes to show that when you are in love, you'll put up with about anything.

Pizza here is the pits. First, they cut round pies into square pieces. Folks: every slice should have crust! Second, the water used to make the dough isn't hard enough to get a crispy crust, so you end up with a doughy, chewy mess unless you order it "well done". Last, they send along jalapeno peppers. Somebody care to enlighten me as to wtf a jalapeno pepper has to do with 'za?
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    May 2003
    When I get pizza, I usually get a plain cheese Giordano's from the take out place a five minute walk from my apartment. One trip down there to order, another to pick it up, and $10 for a 10" isn't bad. My old apartment could get Chicago's Pizza delivered, so I'd order the spinach pizza on occasion. But they're so expensive. A 10" will set you back a full $20 after the tip for the delivery guy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like pizza, but I'm really picky about it. Edmonton's pizza is on the whole lousy. There are two good places though... Funky Pickle and Royal Pizza. A lot of places up here put the toppings between the sauce and the cheese, which kind of puts me off. I like my toppings on TOP dammit.

My favourite pizza place though is probably Original Pete's pizza in midtown Sacramento. Feta, spinach, mushroom and olive is my fave. Yum!!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    ooo! ooo! so many good topping choices! I wanted to select them all.
    I picked mushroom, though. Big, juicy portabellos, mmmmmmmmmmm.
    I like everything on pizza. I have been dying for an anchovy pizza.. but my wife doesn't like how salty they are. Maybe I'll order one tonight....for myself!

Apparently, there is a "Peoria style" pizza. I had a "St. Louis style" earlier this year a place called Calico's in downtown St. Louis. Good and interesting.. a cream/red sauce.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Aww... this should have been a multiple choice poll so we could pick lots of toppings But I picked spinach (teamed with feta of course).

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm simple. I go for nice spicy pepperoni first, and other toppings are secondary.

A bit of Chicago sacrilege though....I don't really like Chicago-style pizza. Too much crust. I prefer a nice thin crust.

I like to taste toppings...not bread.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    ooo! ooo! so many good topping choices! I wanted to select them all.
    I picked mushroom, though. Big, juicy portabellos, mmmmmmmmmmm.
    I like everything on pizza. I have been dying for an anchovy pizza.. but my wife doesn't like how salty they are. Maybe I'll order one tonight....for myself!

Apparently, there is a "Peoria style" pizza. I had a "St. Louis style" earlier this year a place called Calico's in downtown St. Louis. Good and interesting.. a cream/red sauce.
    Yes, I know I am torturing my fellow Cyburbians by forcing them to select but one topping, but we'll find out what the world's one fave is before this is over.

I'll bite - what's a St. Louis style pizza? I've heard of Chicago or Sicilian...but Peoria?????
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Toronto is not a very good pizza town. There are lots of pizzerias, but I've yet to find one that really blows me away. I like a nice slice of potato pizza (cream sauce, potatoes, onions, garlic) from Amato's on occasion. I tend to make my own - if anyone has a recipe for deep-dish, lemme know okay?

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    My favourite pizza place though is probably Original Pete's pizza in midtown Sacramento. Feta, spinach, mushroom and olive is my fave. Yum!!!!
    I'm sorry. But it's impossible to get a good piece of pizza more than 50 mi west of the Mississippi. It's just a law of nature. (I'm not saying St. Louis' cardboard sheets are good, but they get points for creativity).

What you describe sounds like a Greek pizza though. There's a bakery type place in Greektown that makes something similar. They are pretty good. I've always wanted to try a Chicago pizza with the cheese being maybe 1/5 feta.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I love pizza, but it doesn't love me. I have severe heartburn after pizza so I cut back on consumption. I also quit toppings. I am all about plain cheese pizza with beer now. There are a few places that use less acidic sauces that agree with me. The pizza is a little too sweet, but it doesn't hurt later. If it weren't for nexium/prilosec I wouldn't eat pizza.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Forced at Gun Point to pick ONE topping: Mushroom

But Greek Pizza (hold the olives) and Hawaiian are also favorites. At home I make a shrimp and garlic white pizza. [insert homer drooling emoticon].

Unfortunately, now that I'm pregnant again, Pizza only appeals to me in theory. I can't wait till the pukies go away so that I can really eat again.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thick crust sausage and peperoni pizza from Gino's East in Chicago is my favorite.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I love all types of pizza. But my favorite has to be thin crust, with extra cheese, mushrooms, peperoni, onion, and olives.
    Sounds like we should share a pizza sometime! That's exactly what I order. It has to be thin crust! Sometimes I just like a pizza with EXTRA cheese!

There are 2 places here that are my favorites to date.
    1. Villa Rose. They have thin crust with cornmeal on the bottom and they cut it in squares. I think squares make more sense.

2. DiSalvo's. This is the best greasy extra cheesy place.

And I always order a side of tomato sauce for crust dipping.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    If the pizza doesn't have mushrooms, it's not my favorite. The best topping combo is mushroom and black olives, but my husband hates it. Sometimes I get mushroom and ham (or Canadian bacon) and he picks off the 'shrooms.

As a kid I hated mushrooms, so all pizzas were ham and pineapple. Once every blue moon I get another, just for variety. My husband always has meat on his, usually chicken or ham. Once I thought I saw him get pepperoni, but I think it was a trick of the light.

We prefer a medium crust, but well done. Too much crust and not enough other stuff means a waste of a pizza. My mom tells tales of Chicago style pizzas where the grease ran down your arm each time you picked up a piece. I have no idea why that would be good - that much grease would be a turn-off for me.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    Unfortunately, now that I'm pregnant again, Pizza only appeals to me in theory. I can't wait till the pukies go away so that I can really eat again.
    My wife thought her favorite foods would be okay after pregnancy. She is now discovering how much Spencer hates some foods making his breast milk. She isn't looking forward to repeating the cycle, but wants two children close together.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I love Chicago-style pizza, but I also love the big foldable slices you can buy for a $1.50 almost anywhere in New York City. Ahhhh New York. I haven't been there in 8 months. Time to go back for a visit.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    We prefer a medium crust, but well done. Too much crust and not enough other stuff means a waste of a pizza. My mom tells tales of Chicago style pizzas where the grease ran down your arm each time you picked up a piece. I have no idea why that would be good - that much grease would be a turn-off for me.
    She wasn't eating Chicago Style then. The only greese in a Chicago pizza is from the cheese and the sauce. The crust is thin, hard, and dry. The pan is lubricated with flower instead of oil. You don't even have to wash your hands after eating one, just smack them together to nock the flower residue off and you're good to go.

It sounds like your mother is describing New York style pizza. They have very greasy, bready crusts.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I'll bite - what's a St. Louis style pizza? I've heard of Chicago or Sicilian...but Peoria?????
    Hey, I just read the ad, I have no idea what *is* "Peoria style" It's probably just a gimmick. The same restaurant has been in business for 60 years in Peoria and has a fantastic deep dish with a buttery, beer battery crust.

St. Louis style was good and different. It wasn't my favorite, but as Jordon-B described: The crust is thin, crispy and somewhat dry, the sauce was a creamy/red sauce, with light cheese.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    My wife thought her favorite foods would be okay after pregnancy. She is now discovering how much Spencer hates some foods making his breast milk. She isn't looking forward to repeating the cycle, but wants two children close together.
    Jack was a dream nurser - he didn't care what I ate - broccoli, chocolate, coffee, garlic, onions. I'm hoping these next two are just as non-finnicky. But really - I'm just waiting for this awful first trimester period to get over so I can re-establish my good relationship with "I Love New York Pizza" (my favorite pizza place)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Heh Heh...

Friday doubles as pizza day here at work (everyone pitches in).

I like all kinds of different stuff on my pizza and all different styles. I'm a big fan of Hawaiian pizzas with canadian bacon, pineapple and cherries. But I'll eat just about anything on a pizza, including those salty little fish! I used to manage a pizza place and learned to love all things pizza.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Please help me.....

Any and every time I've ever heard anyone refer to a Chicago style pizza, they without exception, say that its not as good as the "real" thing.......Exactly where in Chicago can "the one" get the "real" Chicago style pizza? I will make a point of visiting the establishment you suggest when I visit that great city.......
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Pizza Pizza!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 65
    Last post: 13 Feb 2013, 6:52 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last post: 31 Oct 2012, 10:54 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Sep 2008, 4:06 PM