Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Winter pavement cuts

Registered
    Feb 2003

Winter pavement cuts

I was hoping planners in cold climates could help me with this one.

Do you allow pavement cuts for utilities in the winter time?

If so, are there associated fees?

If not, what are the dates of the restriction.

Thanks

Registered
    Mar 2004

well.....

There were several cities in Colorado that wouldn't allow pavement cutting at anytime, or it required special approval. The reason being that the cutting would often destroy the road, make it look bad and create a need for lots of follow up public works baby sitting to make sure it was done right......in place of the cutting, the developer would be required to bore bellow the road. The bore was an added cost that the development community did, but didn't like.....

try Thornton, Colorado to see what their requirements currently are......

The only thing that could make Colorado roads worse would be allowing continued cutting of pavement by developers for every single line needed.....and in multiple places to accomodate the developers need to save $$ on a bore.....But hey, then again, allowing cutting of the pavement would be a cheap way to get defacto speed humps installed on your roads...
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Cuts for utilities in the cold are allowed until the ground freezes and that is dictated by the climate. As for cutting roads for utilities are community won't allow it on arterials but will allow it on older streets. The Street deparment makes the call.
    I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. - Thomas Edison

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Our DPW does not allow for pavement cuts in any ROW after November 15. Cutting can resume in the spring after 3 consecutive days of temps 40 degrees and rising. (At least that's my understanding of their policy).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Our DPW does not allow for pavement cuts in any ROW after November 15. Cutting can resume in the spring after 3 consecutive days of temps 40 degrees and rising. (At least that's my understanding of their policy).
    Communities I have worked for in Wisconsin follow this too, since the hot mix asphalt batch plants close for the season about this date. In extreme emergencies a cut will be allowed, but a costly bond is required.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Last jurisidiction the deadline was the 1st of November then March 15th or so.

I heard rumour that there are places in Maine that do not allow any new cuts to asphalt for the first five years after repaving. All cuts and services are to be run at teh time of repaving or you pay a huge penalty and have to repave a good portion of the road.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    I heard rumour that there are places in Maine that do not allow any new cuts to asphalt for the first five years after repaving. All cuts and services are to be run at teh time of repaving or you pay a huge penalty and have to repave a good portion of the road.
    My last employer in Wisconsin did that also, but I recall it was 7 years. A cut in year 1 was something like $30,000 penalty, and it declined slowly from there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 Jul 2008, 4:45 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Sep 2007, 9:39 PM
  3. Coloured pavement
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Aug 2006, 1:15 PM
  4. Narrower street pavement widths?
    Transportation Planning