Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dog / bark parks, grants and other thingys

Registered
    Jul 2002

Dog / bark parks, grants and other thingys

Anyone know of any grant funding options for Dog Parks or Bark Parks. I found one through PETsMART but was looking for others.

Also if you have a Dog Park in your community tell me about it. Good, Bad, or other. What would you do different now that it is built?

I am the Vice Chairman of the local Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and we are looking at building such a park in our community. As a result I was hoping to identify some grant funding and some insight from others who have experience in these parks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    PetCo had something similar in term of grants if I recall.

Beleive it or not, call your local WalMart too. They gave us a $3,000 park grant a few years ago, no strings attached, when we fell short of a fund raising goal.

I've been a dog park user for years. A few things to consider:

1) A water feature is important. Many owners use the grounds for training, esp. hunting dogs with their retrieval "toys". The water can be a crucual training tool for them.

2) If you can spring for fencing, all the better.

3) Have plenty of stations with rolls of poop bags, and have plenty of trash recepticles. Have the resources (in our case its a volunteer group) to make sure they are emptied often, and the park stays clean.

4) On the volunteer front, definitely enourage a group to form if you don't have one already. They not only help with maintenance, they fund raise, and help form a better sense of community for the users.

Good luck.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Dog Park

Our jurisdiction is building a dog park on a couple of acres surrounded by industrial and railroad lines.....Bark all you want dogs.....(1st bit of advice- location)

As far as funding, just call it a park and seek state or county funds of some kind.....if available....offer to name it after a governor or County Commissioner....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    To add to Chet's:

If it is an off leash park, fencing should be required. Ours has double gate entry for an area to leash and unleash.

If you can afford it, separate small dog and large dog areas. The one we frequent the most is separated. I have seen it divided my high activity low activity also.

Benches/Tables. Owners will sometimes hang out for hours.

On a personal note, my only complaint is that the most of the dog parks we go to are pretty cliquish. We also constantly have problem with certain dogs and their owners. Thus I prefer the local park and just use the leash.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004

Our dog park is double gated. The entore area is fenced with a 6 foot high black chain link fence. There is a pretty large water feature, several tubes and tunnels, rolling hills, boulders, benches and picnic tables inside the area. The biggest problem we found was the grass around the water feature gets destroyed. We now have a transition zone between the grass and water. The area is covered with small river rock, approximately 2 inches in diameter.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Side note: The February 2005 issue of Planning has a pretty good article on Dog Parks.

Anywho... Wow, cololi that is a well done facility. Our is a bit more.... ruggged.

Here's a view of it from the northwest. A gravel parking lot, rough meadows and woods, rolling hills and dirt trails, etc. The water feature is actually a shallow creek that forms the border between the dog park and a corporate campus.

Of course the one probl;em with a wooded dog park is...

...the ticks!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My experience with dog parks started this past summer when we got a lab puppy. Luckily, where we live (first-ring streetcar suburban) there are several dog parks of vary size and quality.

In the neighboring muni., there is a more formal park with 5 foot fence, trash, poopy bags, benches, etc. It is pretty good, but rather small (about 30'x100'), but it does occupy a leftover bit of land adjacent to an expressway. I believe the land is park district owned, but funded and maintained by local group of dog owners. This past fall they had a fundraiser that did well, I understand.

As for my muni. the dog parks are a bit less formal. They are basically in two normal parks that allow off-leash only Sat & Sun for 2 hours in the morning. it's not bad because they are on large play fields. This allows the big dogs to run lot with really getting I anyone's way.

I don't know much about funding sources, but if you want to further info, PM me.
    Last edited by mendelman; 20 Jan 2005 at 3:20 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Our local dog park is very similar to Mendleman's in size. It was promoted by a local group of activists, who help raise money for it and maintain it.

the problem with it is that it built next to a small pond/reservoir, and the surface of the park is this nasty, gritty, pebbly mud (pond dredgings) that cannot support grass. So, everything gets covered in gray grit.

Two of my three dogs don't benefit all that much from the dog park. Tasha the basenji just kinda hangs around the people and doesn't run around very much at all. Max can be more active, but I have to watch him pretty closely (he can take a dislike to some dogs). Scobie, my collie mix, likes the dog park because he can find and chase multiple bogs.

Haven't been there in a few months, actually. I'd rather just take my dogs with me hiking or city walking. For hiking, many of the regional parks in the East Bay allow off-leash dogs (We hiked 2,200 feet to the top of Mission Peak on Saturday. Max, my old guy, is still going strong at age 11!)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet

...the ticks!
    My number one reason for believing the physical universe is the province of the Devil

I have a nasty bite on my wrist right now. (No bullseye or other infection, thank whomever)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Mar 2013, 6:57 PM
  2. Grants and planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Feb 2012, 12:39 PM
  3. Grants for ball parks
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 03 Mar 2009, 8:03 PM