Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Redevelopment jobs and finance skills

Redevelopment jobs and finance skills

I'm a graduate student with a strong interest in redevelopment work. I could see myself working at a CDA, an intermediary, or even a community development bank. Based on my experience, I tend to agree with most of the posts that the the masters in planning curriculum does not pass on much beyond the most rudimentary technical skills. Clearly, the career path I'm interested in requires some knowledge of real estate markets and general finance skills. My question is whether these are skills I can pick up through an elective or two plus professional development courses once I'm on the job? Alternatively, my school offers a 1 year masters in finance that I could jump into after my masters. Any thoughts pro/con on pursuing this option instead?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good call. You have identified the weakness of planning programs for your interests. You can get these skills through electives, continuing education programs, and on the job. While you are in school you may want to consider a couple classes in economic geography. Some programs even have courses in retail markets. The International Economic Development Council, www.iedconline.org, offers good classes in real estate redevelopment and economic development finance. Their other courses are not quite as good, but may be more vluable to a newbie (I had 8-10 years of experience when I sat through them) and they lead to a certification you should get (CEcD). The National Development Council has an excellet series of courses in economic development finance, also leading to a certification. The Urban Land Institute offers very good, but expensive classes in real estate development.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Creating a new mechanism to finance development
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Dec 2010, 12:16 PM
  2. Campaign finance reform
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Sep 2010, 3:14 PM
  3. What sort of jobs fit my skills?