Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hijacked Favorite Billboards Thread (AKA relationship advice from Planners)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Re: Here's the pic for you, planderella

Originally posted by Chet
    He's going to kill me.
    Prudence is going to tear you apart....he's a lot bigger than you....and it looks like a can of "whoop ass" is on the shelf behind him.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    More hijacks today than 9-11.

Ummm. yeah. out of control.

*goes to remove prudence's pic*

Registered
    Apr 1996

More hijack....

Originally posted by bturk
    *goes to remove prudence's pic*
    Smart move.

For those that have never see chet and Prudence side by side....lets just say that chet may have been squashed like a little bug.....although you do control his paycheck....so you'll probably make it out of the office relatively unscathed...
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2001
    How am I going to find the woman of my dreams if they think I am violent and imbalanced. That's the picture from the Department website...anyone can see it anytime they want. I wouldn't advise it, but you can see it.

Oh, and that's a can of Billy Beer behind me.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by prudence
    How am I going to find the woman of my dreams if they think I am violent and imbalanced.
    If El Guapo can get some then so can you my friend! Some chicks dig violent and imbalanced. Chet care to chime in? You own a Harley and have used your imbalance to good effect...Cheer the lad up a bit with stories of biker chicks and planners havin a good time...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by El Guapo

Chet care to chime in? You own a Harley and have used your imbalance to good effect...
    I'm not going to say anything.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Hey, I own a Triumph and just got back from a 5 day trip to Canada...of course the Canadians seem somewhat reserved. The world needs decadence...in moderation.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Anybody else out there like this??? This is one of my favorite bartenders in Milwaukee.

Note the Jameson Whiskey T-shirt, all the booze, and a Guinness sign....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Guys dont go for bold moves trust me I know
    Wanna' bet? Sometimes, we need a push! I'm terrible at reading signals, and way too many times in the past, I've misinterpreted what normally are in-your-face signs. The women I meet are either:
    * very tactile and friendly, but they're "that way to everybody they meet," so I get a "false positive," or
    * they're quiet and cold, and later discover that I read a "false negative" when I found out they were really attracted to me.

I'm very social, but also very shy. Hard to explain, really. I'm also hesitant to make the first move, because in recent years there's an increasing "all men are players" or "all men are potential rapists" sentiment among many women. Trying to hold a woman's hand is "making a move," and possibly seen in a negative light.

Sigh.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 1998

Re: Here's the pic for you, planderella

Originally posted by bturk
    He's going to kill me.

EDITORS NOTE: PHOTO DELETED
    NO FAIR!!!!!!! I didn't get a chance to see it!!! WAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2001

Signals

I recommend the "Breakfast Date." Arrange to meet her in the morning for a walk and breakfast. There is Zero pressure in that situation. Of course she may think you are cheap and weird. But it worked for me.

Reading signals: Women will expect you to know what they are thinking the rest of your life. Even experienced sensitive modern guys like me miss the signals on the rare occasion.

You could try this classic: "Excuse me, I'm attracted to you, but I am clueless if you are attracted to me. I can be easily molded and I am fairly tidy and can hold a job. I can give you a list of my ex girlfriends if you want to vette me. Could I call you sometime? Please, I'm harmless. "

I have used the above to good effect.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Life is far too short to wait around for random chance.

She'll end up a cat lady for sure.
    Hey, I've got two dogs already.

I respectfully disagree. I think it is a bold move and one to be respected. She is going after what she wants in a manner outside of the norm, that's all. If this gets her to happiness-land faster then I am glad for her.
    I have to agree. Huevos grande. I would have considered doing the same, if I weren't a card-carrying member of Scenic America. (I let out a huge sigh when my Theresa-lookalike ex told me she leased a few billboards as part of her campaign for public office.) Besides, I'd probably appear on some tri-vision board, and the panels would change to an ad for a strip joint or a vasectomy clinic in Houston before someone could get the entire URL.

Desperate? Yeah, many single folks are, but it's taboo to admit it. Some folks feel the void in their heart more than others. I'll admit to my presence on match.com ...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Dan's right it is taboo to admit you would like a companion in the singles scene (wow-that phrase dates me). However you will eventually decide to cut through the crap and tell potential companions the 411 right off the bat to save you both time and anguish.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by MarryTheresa
    Planner Girl - You are so mistaken. 5,000 so far have gone for my BOLD move. Sorry!
    Hmmmm ...

If it's really her ... I mean, 5,000 guys? Sounds like we're the desperate ones.

She's cute and sincere, but I probably wouldn't write if I lived in Nashville. I couldn't measure up to the competition. Yeah, I'm a damn good catch, but there's an awful lot of fish in that well stocked pond. It's hard enough if you write to someone on match.com, and your letter is one of tens or hundreds that she recieved ... many of those from men who are taller than you, richer than you, better looking than you or more geographically desirable than you.

Registered
    Dec 1998

Re: Re: Life is far too short to wait around for random chance.

Originally posted by Dan

Desperate? Yeah, many single folks are, but it's taboo to admit it. Some folks feel the void in their heart more than others. I'll admit to my presence on match.com ...
    Sorry Dan, but I have to disagree. Although I've seen many of my friends marry and have children over the past five years, I still don't feel bad about being single at the ripe old age of 30. My philosophy may change over the next few years or so, but for the time being, I'm happy with it and definitely not ashamed to say "Yeah, I'm single! So what??"
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    MarryTheresa - don't feel compelled to answer every comment made here. Around here we just kind of sum our position up and let the chips fall where they may. You will never be able answer all the postings on this thread - they will wear you out. And they might smell blood in the water. You don't want that.
    I'll make sure that doesn't happen. At Cyburbia, we're a friendly gang of urban planners, city geeks, students, and who knows what else.

I'm going to take a step back - not from negativity of course - but put a moderator hat on and suggest that this thread, and least the last 9 hours of it, get wiped away.
    Hey ... it's staying! This is a part of Cyburbia history! Alls we need now is a photo of a PVC-clad PlannerGirl and some poetry from a certain civil servant for a large California municipality who used to visit these parts, and we'll hit the 20,000 post mark before Friday! Whee!

I spent all afternoon sending out courtesy referrals. I missed all the fun.

Please review the materials enclosed with this packet, and return them with any comments on or before the town Development Review Committee (DRC) date noted below ... poop.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 27 Oct 2005 at 2:35 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by MarryTheresa
    And, there is a HUGE difference between being creative and being desperate.
    All that talk about pools, rivers, swimming and waterfalls... and not ONE pic of you in a bikini!

What's up with THAT?!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Gotta disagree, Plannergirl. I admire independent, fearless, unconventional women. Especially ones with dogs. Bring on the bold moves!

Registered
    Mar 2002

Collection of thoughts on a wild list

Wow I need to log on at night from home-this got fun while i was away! Lol I look better in latex than PVC but it costs a bit much for this planners income.

Bold moves, you like those? DAMN move to DC the place must be full of REPUBLICANS *shivers with fright*

Im not on match but the more urban hip Nerve, everyone seems to be attys or physics nuts.

Im glad to see my fellow planners have some fun as well I thought I was the only freaky planner.

Who needed a hug? I got some to spare <<hugs>>

Dan Im not about to put my pic up here, lol ask real sweet and ill send ya one but im not posting it - i may be nuts but im not crazy

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    That's not fair Plannergirl!!!!! Why should Dan have all the fun?

BTW - now that you're on the prowl again, when exactly are you headed to Orlando?

I'm thinking it may be destiny, ya know.

Registered
    Apr 1996

Re: Re: Life is far too short to wait around for random chance.

Originally posted by Dan
    I'll admit to my presence on match.com ...
    Don't give up on it Dan. I was a match member for a couple of years....and I met my wife through match.com.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lol one month from today.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I met a few women through the internet when I was up north a few years ago. Had a bit of fun, but by and large - ugh. I think it was more a symptom of the town I was in though.

Of course, I did meet my future wife up there. Not through the internet though.

Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Lol one month from today.
    Okay Dan - it's your move. I can do no more
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 27 Oct 2005 at 2:36 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    And all this started from a discussion on billboards. Amazing.

As for being single...it doesn't bother me now. I am enjoying each day and night. I figure my fears will hit when I am 35-ish...so I have time. The issue is, many of us are past that time in our life where we are surrounded by members of the opposite sex in a casual environment. The women I tend to meet when I am out seem preoccupied with looking and acting trendy. Don't get me wrong, I am looking for a contemporary woman in mind, body, and spirit...but not 24/7. And trying to find a politically conservative woman is near impossible... Finally, when you do meet someone it seems like a SPRINT to the altar. EG, what was that website again??

Lately though, I seem to attract women who are 21-ish. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I am now 30. I may look a few years younger, but I am 30. What in the hell am I going to talk about with a woman who is 21? Her roommates? Her classes? At that age all I really remember was drinking and thinking I understood the world.

That's it...I am quitting my job and going back to the university to work on my Ph.D.

I just had an epiphany...

And why is it when you ARE dating someone, you meet every attractive woman under the sun, but when you aren't you are more alone than Hillary Clinton in the White house bedroom??

Registered
    Mar 2002

politically conservative woman ?

Well ya had me till ya got to "politically conservative woman"

not I. Im consertvative with my money but thats about it. I personaly dont know any conservative women.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cyb hijacked?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 May 2007, 3:38 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Apr 2007, 2:48 AM
  3. Replies: 91
    Last post: 10 Dec 2004, 11:42 AM
  4. Relationship advice