Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Hijacked Favorite Billboards Thread (AKA relationship advice from Planners)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Kelly,
    Perhaps she might consider coresponding with the incarcerated?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Collection of thoughts on a wild list

Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Dan Im not about to put my pic up here, lol ask real sweet and ill send ya one but im not posting it - i may be nuts but im not crazy
    I have seen the picture.

My TMJ has been cured.

I'm not showing it to anyone, so don't even ask.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Soft smile

Thank you Dan, your most kind to say that. And for not passing it on.

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    TMJ? I must have missed class that day...

This just in:

CNN is reporting that the entire feline population of the Orlando Metropolitan area has spontaneously combusted...

Registered
    Oct 2000
    re: corresponding with incarcerated men

correspond? hell - much better luck if you actually GO to the prisons and work the arts and crafts hour, or tutor for the GED. You'll get LOTS of nibbles on your hook that way! hee.

And yes, Mastiff - it is Bill Murray's tag line. One of my favorite movies - Quick Change!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 27 Oct 2005 at 2:37 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have been following this thread, just no time to respond until now. As another of the single, low 30's here on the forum I am
    keeping notes on the do's and don'ts from teh married and soon to be married.

My younger women story is as follows. (me 31 her 23) I made a comment about remembering seeing the first star wars in the movie theatre as a kid, she reminded me that she was not even born, it went down hill from there.

Similar to dan, i am relatively social (when given the chance), but rotten at reading signs women send me. Have found out numerous times that if I had asked I would have had a date, but now they think I am a stuck up jerk or worse.

Plannergirl, more people like the forward / aggressive / confident woman then you would expect. If only there were more in my area. All of the women seem to be married, divorced with multiple kids, or belong in south florida.

Downtown, you stole what was going to be my sig. I have been thinking for weeks what would express how I feel in a sentence and the sad clown was it. Back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by donk; 31 Jul 2002 at 3:07 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    I will certainly heed the advice of my collegues. You all have the wisdom of Solomon.

I thought I was on the right path 5 years ago...I was dating a girl for nearly three years and she broke up with me on the way to my sister's wedding; of which we were standing up in. The reason...I didn't spend enough time with her. Mind you I was finishing my second year of grad school (full time) and working full-time as a planner for a town of 35,000...I realized I didn't understand women.

BTW, the best recovery for that is the bride telling the other bridesmaids the story...thankfully women--especially at weddings--are soooo compassionate.

But seriously...I am envious of all you who found your match by whatever means. Moreover, you are making it work. Absolutely outstanding. I hope I am a fraction as fortunate.

Now, back to PlannerGirl and the PVC/Latex thing...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    TMJ? I must have missed class that day...

This just in:

CNN is reporting that the entire feline population of the Orlando Metropolitan area has spontaneously combusted...
    Damn it!!!! Food all over my monitor....again.....What's worse is what I'm eating....cherries...ughhhh. I hope the pit didn't chip the screen.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by donk

My younger women story is as follows. (me 31 her 23) I made a comment about rememebring seeing the first star wars in the movie theatre as a kid, she reminded me that she was not even born, it went down hill from there.
    My fiancee just laughs in my face whenever a situation like that comes up. I got my revenge by getting her hooked on retro 80s music.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by donk
    My younger women story is as follows. (me 31 her 23) I made a comment about rememebring seeing the first star wars in the movie theatre as a kid, she reminded me that she was not even born, it went down hill from there.
    Sounds VERY familiar....though my wife was alive when it was released, she was maybe a couple of months old. I remember going to the drive in and seeing Star Wars for the first time.....

Fortunately for me, the age jokes are usually turned around on me being old....not her being so young.

My fiancee just laughs in my face whenever a situation like that comes up. I got my revenge by getting her hooked on retro 80s music.
    You and I have way too much in common Paul! :p
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 27 Oct 2005 at 2:38 PM.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Yep - scary isn't it?

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Yep - scary isn't it?
    For those uninformed about the similarities between Tranplanner and I:

Me: 28 (soon 29) year old planner
    Married in June 2002 to then 23 (now 24) year old.
    Honeymooned in Nova Scotia and PEI

Tranplanner: 29 year old planner
    to be married in August 2002 to 21 year old
    Planning honeymoon in Nova Scotia.

:p
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    I did not like how flat it was, how nuts it is to drive on I drive or the number of rednecks. There seem to be no educated folks for miles
    Being a planner, I think a map is a good way to present my situation of geographic undesirability in the Orlando metropolitan area. This shows mainly the area northeast of downtown; most of the resorts are to the south.

Rednecks -- think about it this way. Up north, Yankee culture slowly fades into Dixie culture. You'll start hearing a bit of a twang in far southern Pennsylvania or Maryland, but an all-out drawl won't hit until you're deep into Virginia. Down here, the dividing line between Southern culture and "Northern" Florida culture is very sharp, and it runs roughly through the Orlando area. The area south of Disney is the far southern edge of Orlando's built up area, so there's more ... well, rr'al folk around there than you would see to the north (the "power corridor," or the local equivalent of Fairfax County -- this is where you'll find the greatest concentration of single professionals), or to the east (predominantly middle-class Anglo and Hispanic families, with more singles than in my neck of the woods.) There's some enclaves containing a dominant demographic of stereotypical working-class white Southerners scattered about, too.

Anyhow, because of where I work, the the night meetings I have to attend, living in one of the areas where young single professionals tend to cluster wasn't possible. Can't get here from there ... at least in under 45 minutes during rush hour. My housing choices were limited. Closer to downtown, and I'd be in Pine Hills, a once middle-class suburban area that experienced rapid socioeconomic change inthe 1990s. Head west, past the duallie trucks, and I'd be closer to work, but too far away from anything. This, I had to live in Family Land -- that part of West Orange County that doesn't reverberate with the sound of either diesel engines or subwoofers.

I can get downtown in 15 minutes from my house, and it takes about 12 to 15 minutes to get to work. Sounds great! However ... although there's plenty of professional families (and a disproportionately large number of middle/upper middle class blue collar families) near me, single professionals aren't here. They're there. Even though traffic through "there" crawls, and it's faster to drive the 15 miles from (northern) Winter Park to (western) Ocoee than to crawl along for five miles to (northern) Altamonte Springs, I'm in Orlando's "God Forsaken Zone." I'm not that far away from downtown and the northern suburbs, but it seems that way to most people living here.

To put it in PlannerGirl terms ... let's say about 90% of all Washington area single women live along the I-66 corridor, extending from Arlington to the outer fringes of the metropolitan area. Let's say I live in Bethesda or Wheaton, and PlannerGirl lives in Arlington. To her, someone in Centreville, Chantilly or even Manassas just seems closer than me. Even if it takes 15 minutes to get to Bethesda, and 40 minutes to get to Fairfax because I-66 is a parking lot all the time, Fairfax still seems closer.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Wow Dan you know DC area well! Come here offten?

My dad and sister lived in Metro West in Orlando it was nice but-fake feeling as hell.

Orlando seemed a nice place to visit but not live *and I could not find any planner type jobs when i was looking there* so i ended up in DC

Land of too many attys!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Dan -

I am going to be in Orlando this October for the Octoberfest celebration...is there anything that I shouldn't miss?? Good pubs?? Best beaches??

Registered
    Jun 2002
    My dad and sister lived in Metro West in Orlando it was nice but-fake feeling as hell.
    Everything new in Orlando seems so... sterile. I think that Tampa is cooler than Orlando, as far as Central Florida cities go.

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    How did the rednecks end up with prime lakefront property????? I assume the Gentry hasn't arrived yet to "displace" them.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Im going to Naples for my sisters wedding *how far a drive is that from MCO?* anything cool there on a friday night?

Then Saterday night my hinny is hitting PI and Mannequins, unless you guys know of some where better.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Ybor City is one of the best places in the country to drink...very worthwhile. The Green Iguana. It's the real reason to stop by Tampa...

It's a good thing I am a city planner...I can hide the fact that I congregate towards the taverns as "understanding the character of the community."

Where can I swim with the dolphins in Orlando?? It is the exact opposite of my personality, which I why I need to do it...

Ybor City is great. I really like Club Hedo, where they have a small "river" running down the center of the bar. If it is dead in there you can your buddies can race boats made from beer labels down the river.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Absolutely not true. I just had the Town Clerk take this picture outside of Town Hall. I don't see any combusting kittens ... do you?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Poor things are fleeing for their lives!

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Dear God are you people funny.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Of course 5 minutes after Dan took that picture, this was happening....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OH THE HUMANITY!

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cyb hijacked?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 May 2007, 3:38 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Apr 2007, 2:48 AM