Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cincinnati's abandoned subway

Registered
    Jan 2005

Cincinnati's abandoned subway

Quite a fascinating story here: http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/subway.html

It's iteresting that something that received such strong public support initially failed to be fully built and integrated because of various world events.

I like how recent plans for mass transit in the area have proposed using the tunnels as they are still intact and in excellent repair! Too bad it was voted down.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Seattle will be home as of 2/15/05, woohoo.
    Yeah really, too bad. Traffic between Cincy and Dayton is getting worse and I guess that it won't be long until the two cities will be forced to use something other than I-75.

They are practically merging already.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Very interesting indeed. I always like seeing that and since it was said that the subway is unknown to many in Cincinnati, I may have a knowledgable edge over my family that lives in and around Cincy.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Driving through Cincinnati once, traffic didn't seem great and mass-transit would be a wonderful alternative.

I was delighted when just this year Minneapolis completed construction of a mass-transit line even though it isn't in the area where I live for it to be effective.

They got rid of the quite extensive streetcar system and now something similar is being put back in. Simply fascinating. And it looks like it's happening in many other cities as well.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Abandoned in America
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Oct 2013, 3:23 PM
  2. Abandoned theatres
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 9:03 PM
  3. Abandoned New York subway stations
    Transportation Planning