Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Hi everyone

Registered
    Jan 2005

Hi everyone

Hi from a suburbs lover! Am I the only one on these boards? Judging by some responses on another thread I posted on, I guess so...but that's OK. I came across the forums when I was looking for what people think about suburban communities. It's hard to find other people who actually LIKE sprawl.

I had lived in various suburban planned communities my entire life, but have recently moved into a city (not by choice, by necessity). Hopefully, I'll be able to find a planned community that's in the suburbs comparable to what I like.

Is anyone on here from these suburban communities or have an opinion about them? I loved all of them.

I used to live in:

Montgomery Village, MD (my hometown)
    Germantown, MD
    Valencia, CA

Now I'm in Manhattan.

Can someone recommend any planned communities in the suburbs of NYC? I'm not that familiar with this area yet. I've heard there are some in Bergen County/Passaic County, NJ.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Hi there. Most people post around break time or lunch time. Give people some time. They love to post here. Also to see how many people are on the site look at the bottom of forums screen. It tells how many people are on and who.

To answer your question there are many disscussions that talk about suburbia such as this one. Why suburbia?

Anyway have fun participating.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Welcome

Your comments about suburbia were very interesting and I, like others, thought you were being sarcastic. I guess not.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hello and welcome.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    welcome
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Welcome to Cyburbia, organize! it's ok to think different; but my recomendation is to avoid flamewars. Just remember to play nice and we'll all have fun

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hill Country of south-central Texas!

We're not used to having a "pro-suburban" type person on here, so please post often! Your's is a perspective we don't get to hear to often, so I look forward to seeing your posts.

I lived in a suburban development for a couple of years in Victoria, TX before my parents moved into a historic house near downtown. I personally didn't like it because I was bored to tears, but I know a lot of people love the type of neighborhoods you enjoy. By the same token, you are currently having one of the most urban experiences out there by living in Manhattan, which might be why you are not enjoying it too much (that's a pretty severe culture shock coming from a suburban setting). I don't like sprawl, but I don't think I could handle living in such an intense urban setting like Manhattan, though I could probably handle some of the less dense buroughs. Then again, the largest city I lived in had about 150,000.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from a former resident of NJ.

Quote Originally posted by organize
    Can someone recommend any planned communities in the suburbs of NYC? I'm not that familiar with this area yet. I've heard there are some in Bergen County/Passaic County, NJ.
    There is Radburn, NJ designed by Clarence Stein and Henry Wright
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from a suburban dwelling Florida panhandler. (That doesn't quite sound right.)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I grew up in the ultimate suburbia, the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles (fer sure)... I guess that's not far from Valencia. I think that some suburbs are okay if they are still designed on sustainable principles (or as close as you can get I guess). I enjoyed living in the suburban community of Davis, CA... but it has a very high bicycle ridership percentage, is relatively compact and dense, and has a strong downtown. So it doesn't seem like the typical suburban nightmare.

Right now I work for a well-planned suburban municipality outside of Edmonton. It's really nice here, but I wouldn't want to live here... no diversity, not much to do and very expensive. But it's quiet!

Welcome to the forums... it's good to get another perspective on things!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    OK, I guess you are for real. Sorry for the sockpuppet comments in the Why Suburbia thread. Well, the kind of community you're looking for isn't at all hard to find in NJ. I've worked in many of them.

Oh, and welcome!
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Welcome again and like others have stated, please post often and honestly about your take on suburbia.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Howdy from the sprawly state of Florida.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Welcome from the Valley of the Sun. Sprawl has been perfected here. My pet peeve about sprawl is people who move, then complain about traffic and commutes. Uhhh didn't you make your commute longer by moving 15 miles further out?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hi from a suburbs lover! .....I used to live in:

Welcome and thanks for posting! I was born in Milwaukee and transplanted to Columbia MD, then returned to Milwaukee a few years later. I still have the circe 1968 sales brochures for the development. East coast "planned communities" rock. Sorry I don't have any NY state examples for you.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome! Are you a professional planner? In the New urbanism vs. sprawl? thread you said:

Residents are not the only ones utilizing them either, many non-residents go to Kentlands...
    That's a dead giveaway! If you are in the planning profession, you should check out Dan's rant about using "utilize."

You should start a thread called, In Praise of Suburbia, a satisfying counterpoint to Why suburbia?.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hi from a suburbs lover! Am I the only one on these boards? Judging by some responses on another thread I posted on, I guess so...but that's OK. I came across the forums when I was looking for what people think about suburban communities. It's hard to find other people who actually LIKE sprawl.

I had lived in various suburban planned communities my entire life, but have recently moved into a city (not by choice, by necessity). Hopefully, I'll be able to find a planned community that's in the suburbs comparable to what I like.

Is anyone on here from these suburban communities or have an opinion about them? I loved all of them.

I used to live in:

Germantown, MD
    Valencia, CA

Now I'm in Manhattan.

Manhattan is not really the typical urban experience - it is very intense and not for everyone. I live in urban NJ and I can tell you that most of NJ will probably appeal to you. If money is no object, because the NJ suburbs are very expensive.

I don't know much about planned communities but we have many nice "streetcar" suburbs like South Orange, Maplewood, Montclair, etc.

Greetings from another former Jerseyan making a go of it in the Hoosier state. I second JNA's suggestion: by all means check out Radburn. I think you'll like it. As for me, if my neighbor's house is more than 10' from mine, I get a little agoraphobic...
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from spraw hell-NoVa!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Hello from approximately 188 miles north of you in the Adirondack suburbs.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Welcome! The burbs are great, except that they suck the life out of the core. Otherwise, party on!

Closed thread