Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gas stations: urban design/site plan guidelines

Registered
    Apr 2002

Gas stations: urban design/site plan guidelines

Right now I'm working on writing and putting together some general site plan and urban design guidelines specifically pertaining to service stations and their accessory uses (Coffee shops, restaurants,drive thru's and convenience stores). Things like site and building organization, vehicular/pedestrian access, built form, landscaping etc. I've phoned a few cities in the area and only a few have these formal guidelines prepared. Do any of your towns have such a thing?? Could anyone give me some input? Thanx

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Section 23.11. Automobile service stations.

Within the districts permitting automobile service stations, the following requirements shall apply:

[1] Location. The property on which an automobile service station is located shall not be within one hundred (100) feet of any residential district or any property containing a school, public library, or institution for children or dependents.

[2] Site requirements. An automobile service station shall have a minimum frontage on the primary street of one hundred twenty (120) feet and a minimum area of twelve thousand (12,000) square feet. All buildings shall be set back forty (40) feet from all street right-of-way lines, and all canopies shall be set back fifteen (15) feet from all street right-of-way lines.

[3] Access to site. Vehicular entrances or exits at an automobile service station:

(a) Shall not be provided with more than two (2) curb cuts for the first one hundred twenty (120) feet of frontage along any one (1) street, and shall not have more than one (1) additional curb cut for each additional one hundred fifty (150) feet of street frontage or fraction thereof;

(b) Shall contain an access width along the curb line of the street of not more than forty (40) feet, as measured parallel to the street at its narrowest point, and shall not be located closer than ten (10) feet to the adjoining property; and

(c) Shall not have any two (2) driveways or curb cuts any closer than twenty (20) feet at both the right-of-way line and the curb or edge of the pavement along a single street.

[4] Gasoline pump islands. All gasoline pump islands (of which any canopies shall be deemed a part thereof, if applicable) shall be set back at least fifteen (15) feet from the right-of-way line, or where a future widening lane has been established, the setback line shall be measured from such line, and where pump islands are constructed perpendicular to the right-of-way line, the pump island shall be located not less than thirty (30) feet back of the right-of-way. (Amended July 23, 1990, ZA90-07-02)

[5] Off-street parking. A minimum of two (2) off-street parking spaces are required, with an additional off-street parking space for each lubrication and wash bay.

[6] Other site improvements. In addition to the above requirements, the following additional site improvements shall be adhered to:

(a) A raised curb of at least six (6) inches in height shall be erected along the street property lines, except for driveway openings;

(b) A solid fence or wall six (6) feet in height shall be erected along all property lines adjacent to a residential zone;

(c) Exterior lighting shall be arranged so that it is deflected away from adjacent properties;

(d) No sign, whether permanent or temporary, shall be placed within the public right-of-way and said signs shall be arranged so that they do not obstruct visibility for drivers or pedestrians; and

(e) All drives, parking, storage, and service areas shall be paved and curbed and a good stand of grass shall be maintained on the remainder of the lot.

[7] Storage of inflammable products. Outside aboveground tanks for the storage of gasoline, liquefied petroleum gas, oil, or other inflammable liquids or gases shall be prohibited at any automobile service station in all zoning districts.

[8] Rental trucks and trailers (conditional use):

(a) Applications for such use must be made by the operator of a gasoline service station to store and rent units allowed by this section and such application shall be accompanied by a site plan of the station which shall show:

(i) The entire service station site dimensions, street designations, location of buildings, pump islands, ingress and egress drives, proposed storage area for such rental units (including dimensions) and a display area designation; and

(ii) Application must be accompanied by a sufficient number of photographs showing the location of said site to accurately present the site showing in such photographs the location of said rental units.

(b) No more than* ten (10) trailer and/or truck units may be maintained on any service station site for rental purposes, except as hereinafter provided.

(c) The trailer and/or truck storage area shall be located behind the existing front service station building line and shall be set back at least five (5) feet from the rear property line, five (5) feet from an interior side property line, and ten (10) feet from a side street property line. If a barrier in the form of a wall or hedge exists, the units may be set up to the barrier, notwithstanding the location designated above. It is the intent of this Section to prevent visibility problems that could arise with the uncontrolled storage of such units, as well as to prevent the possibility of blocking the view of the adjoining property owners.

(d) One (1) small trailer unit may be used for display purposes and, as such, many be located in front of the existing service station building line, so long as this unit does not block ingress and egress to the service station and this unit is set back at least ten (10) feet from the front property line.

(e) All rental units will be supported by tongue stands and will be arranged in an orderly, straight-line fashion within the storage area, and the plan, as approved, will be complied with by said station at all times.

(f) Application may be made by the operator of a service station to store and rent units, exceeding the number permitted by this section, but in no instance shall an application be granted exceeding more than twenty (20) trailer and/or truck units. This Commission shall give due consideration to the overall zoning plan in the immediate vicinity of the site location, seeking such approval, as well as the size of the service station lot involved.

(g) All applications must be signed by the applicant and cosigned by the rental company concerned, if any. Upon approval, a copy of the authorized plan will be sent to the applicant and a copy of such plan must be kept at the service site for inspection purposes.

(h) When it has been determined that a violation of this section has occurred, upon notification to the rental company or, if no rental company is involved, to the owner of the rental units, said rental company or owner will remove all units from the station in question within ten (10) days of such notice.

[9] Convenience stores. Only those requirements set out in Section 23.11[4] shall be applicable to convenience sotres with pump islands.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I may able to help if you could give us a little more info. Is it a standard for service stations throughout the community, or are we talking special standards for a downtown area?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Thanks ambmason...

Nerudite - It's pretty much standard for service stations throughout the community, there's only a little variation between the three zones permitting the use

Registered
    Jul 2002

canopies

I am also working on design standards for gasoline stations. Does anyone have a good ordinance on the size and shape of the canopy?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here are a few service station examples (in no particular order).

City of Davis, CA:
    http://www.city.davis.ca.us/cmo/city...fm?p=40&q=1911

City of Redondo Beach, CA: http://www.redondo.org/planning/z4-2.htm

Clackamas County, OR:
    http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/dtd/zo...do/zdo820.html

Richland, WA:
    http://www.ci.richland.wa.us/citycle...-%20Zoning.doc (You will need to scroll/search for Section 23.70.200)

San Mateo, CA:
    http://www.ci.sanmateo.ca.us/dept/codes/ch27-75.html

Vancouver, WA:
    http://www.ci.vancouver.wa.us/vmc/Title_20/91/205.html (This is for actual vehicle service... which may be different than what you are looking for, but hey... it's free research)

I've only worked in WA, CA, and OR... Otherwise I'd try to find something closer to your location. Good luck!

Deb

Registered
    Aug 2001

Oops... you're in Canada...

Are you a member of ICURR? If so, I know they have some gas station design guidelines in their library that you can borrow.

www.icurr.org

Registered
    Jul 2002

This is great!

Thanks alot.

flip

Registered
    Oct 2006

Ditto

I am working a definition of "Convenience Store" and regulations/guidelines for them. Our ordinance currently has definitons of "Service Station" and "grocery" but not "Convenience store". We need a definition, parking requirements, setback requirements etc. Most "service stations" these days are actually "c-store" and not true "service stations".
    HELP!! PLEASE:

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by quailton View post
    I am working a definition of "Convenience Store" and regulations/guidelines for them. Our ordinance currently has definitons of "Service Station" and "grocery" but not "Convenience store". We need a definition, parking requirements, setback requirements etc. Most "service stations" these days are actually "c-store" and not true "service stations".
    HELP!! PLEASE:
    For what it's worth, this is how we define them:

Convenience Store

A retail store usually 4,000 square feet or less which primarily sells convenience goods. The sale of motor vehicle fuel shall be permitted accessory to a convenience store only where motor vehicle fuel sales uses are permitted by right or as a conditional use.
    "I believe in pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. I believe it is possible. I saw this guy do it once in Cirque du Soleil. It was magical!" -Stephen Colbert

Ottawa recently had a set of 5 themed design guidelines approved, including gas stations. PM me with your e-mail address and I can send you the PDF.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Jun 2010, 12:18 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Aug 2009, 9:33 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Sep 2008, 2:22 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Aug 2005, 11:36 AM
  5. Sign design guidelines
    Design, Space, and Place