Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Outsourced comprehensive plans

Registered
    Jan 2005

Outsourced comprehensive plans

For those of you who have recently outsourced County Comprehensive Plans, how much did your consulting firm charge and how long did it take to be completed? Thanks.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Hmmm....

Need someone? PM me if you like...

The cost and the timeframe can very greatly, depending on the content and detail the county is looking for, the size of the county, special focus areas, etc.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If you were in Michigan, we could do it for you between $25,000 and $35,000, and would take about 18 to 24 months to complete.

Our city paid $49,000 for our 2000 comp plan and not a penny was worth it.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most County plans in Wisconsin are currently being re-sone to be compliant with new (insane) statutory requirements. They are costing well into the low six figures.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You're from Rockferd?! Yeesh! Get out! Get out as soon as you can! A decade ago that was one of the most hostile planning environments, with plenty of haphazard development, poor quality, and not much of an interest in really changing that scenario. It was definitley an "all growth is good" mentality. Have things changed?

Your cost is largely going to depend on the scope of the project. It could start at $50,000 for a bare bones plan, and easily reach $200,000 for all the bells and whistles.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have no recommendation as to cost or who is qualified to produce it.
    We updated ours in house, 2 planners, 1 draftsman, and 2 secretaries.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We budgeted $80,000, but it ended up being about $60,000 when the dust cleared away. We had a very responsible consultant that did a beautiful job on our Comprehensive Plan. He just operates in Texas since he is finishing a PhD.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I am a subcontractor doing economic analysis for a large land planning firm that's working on a comprehensive plan for a town of 16,000 in Union County, NC (suburban Charlotte). The town is paying $165,000.

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Most County plans in Wisconsin are currently being re-sone to be compliant with new (insane) statutory requirements. They are costing well into the low six figures.

Good luck getting a grant to help, too!

Registered
    Mar 2004

He he he......

Quote Originally posted by Ass. Planner
    Good luck getting a grant to help, too!
    You might want to change your cyburbia screen name ..........snicker ...... Just my attempt at sophomoric humor.....on a Friday......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    My town recently completed a Master Plan update (http://www.londonderry.org/page.asp?Page_Id=696), which cost us roughly $64K.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Quote Originally posted by The One
    You might want to change your cyburbia screen name ..........snicker ...... Just my attempt at sophomoric humor.....on a Friday......
    I think sometimes people get confused by the terms "Associate Planner" and "Assistant Planner" because I have been listed as both. Coincidentally, I have also been listed as an "Ass. Planner". It kind of stuck.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Since I work for a regional planning council, we sometimes update some of the comp plans for some of the jurisdictions in our area. It truly depends on the size of the jurisdiction, how long it has been since they originally did their plan or had an EAR update (evaluation and appraisal report) and why. If it is a minor update, we will just charge by the hour, but if it is a full scale plan, it could be $50K.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Dec 2006, 10:32 AM
  2. Peak Oil and comprehensive plans
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 07 May 2005, 1:52 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Feb 2004, 11:42 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last post: 10 Feb 2004, 12:30 PM