Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Features you like (AIB Cardinal)

Features you like (AIB Cardinal)

We certainly seem to have very set ideas about what we don't like. So, what's the flip side -- what features have made an improvement in our daily lives.

Here's mine: I've been driving a 92 Chevy Corsica (police package) since the Isuzu's motor went to motorhell. (It's supposed to be returned to me this week, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

The only power devices the Corsica has is the engine and the steering. None of the features that I like with the Isuzu are present: keyless entry, power door locks, power windows or other amenities. (The look on my daughter's face when I showed her how to roll down the window was priceless) One feature it does have that I like: the dashboard lights come on when you open the door and stay on until you put the key in the ignition.

What new features (automotive or otherwise) do you like?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2004
    The popcorn button!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    With automobiles it's cruise control and keyless entry. In everyday life it would have to be caller I.D.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Caller id is great.
    The menu button on the DVD remote so I can skip all of the coming features is fantastic.
    The popcorn button is great since I always burn popcorn if I don't have that button.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I burn popcorn even with the special button.

I love cruise control - and being able to pre-set stations on the car radio. And automatic windows.

I like the option of "Sleep" on my nature sounds alarm clock, so i can fall asleep to the sound of the ocean, and have it automatically turn off soon after.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Everything that my new car has that my old car did not.
    Electric Power Package, Sun Roof, CD Player, and
    defrost vents directed at the front door windows.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    The menu button on the DVD remote so I can skip all of the coming features is fantastic.
    Unfortunately for us consumers, DVD manufacturers are working to create a standard where you will be unable to fast forward, skip, or 'menu out' of the preview and comming attractions on a DVD

I actually own a couple where I can only fast forward through them.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I love "power-anything" on cars. Cruise control is a life-saver for avoiding the Bacon showing up in your rearview mirror. Love keyless entry, too.

My favorite feature on my car now is the navigation system. I work in one of those cities with really twisty roads where you can easily get lost, so it really helps me out. Also, no more stopping for directions!

Another feature I like on my new car is the fully-functional cupholders. These things can hold a 44oz fountain drink without interfering with any of the stereo, A/C controls or shifter.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'll echo the cruise control on the car. It makes long drives at constant speeds enjoyable, allows me to go back to the speed that I was at after getting past the mass of slowpokes and even will, on occassion, save one from traffic tix.

I'l also add the caller-ID on phones, the 'shuffle' function and 'playlists' on the iPod, station presets on the car radio and 'waypoints' on the GPS receiver.

BTW, I like the fact that my new clock-radio allows me to go to sleep to the din of one radio station and wake up to the din of a different one, too.

MIke

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Internet, internet, internet. I know it's made my life easier. Research, travel, information, you name it. It has to be one of the greatest innovations EVER.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Being able to program numbers in to my cell phone. I'd be lost without that feature.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I still think digital watches are pretty neat.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm I'll second ike with the internet.
    Also electronical stuff like ATM cards and cards with chips that allow yuo to pay for the subway without having to buy everytime a ticket, you just load it with cash and forget about the ticket booth for a while.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    for car features--heated seats! Since my car is a diesel, it takes forever to warm up, but at least part of me can be warm.
    Other cool stuff--cell phones and Palms that have Internet accessibility. I'm so hooked on that. Surround sound systems for your house--as good as the theatre and you can put your feet up and have a
    I don't dream. I plan.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    In the professional environment, I have difficulty seeing how things functioned before email. Those fax machines had to me smokin'!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    European cars, including my land rover, often have rear facing fog lights. Basically, the tail lamps and brake lights dramtically increase in brightness so the traffic behind you sees you better.

Sometimes in good weather I'll flash them on to annoy a tailgaiter.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The battery saving feature on my car that shuts off headlamps, interior lights, accessory power when the car is off for a time so my car starts in the morning when I'm to stoopid to remember to turn those things off to begin with.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    European cars, including my land rover, often have rear facing fog lights. Basically, the tail lamps and brake lights dramtically increase in brightness so the traffic behind you sees you better.

Got to love the features in those British POS.
    That reminded me of the windshield defroster in the RR that allowed me to melt the ice or get rid of the fog on the front glass without blasting the heat. Very handy.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm still getting over the fact that our new car actually has a CD PLAYER! I'm taking a big leap into the 90's. Of course I still drive the old car which originally had power features and A/C, but many of them stopped working years ago.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The snooze button on my alarm clock.

The remote control for the alarm system.

The power cord for my son's Game Boy Advance so my son doesn't have to have regular batteries to play.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Got to love the features in those British POS.
    Off-topic:
    I call it that too, but at 176,000 miles and going strong / looking good, I shouldnt complain.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Chet

Same thing with my old Volvo. I thought the rear fog lamps were cool, but hardly used them for fog in Colorado, as we don't get much fog.

Annoying tailgaters was fun though
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by GISgal
    Being able to program numbers in to my cell phone. I'd be lost without that feature.
    I agree, I'm terrible with phone numbers.
    Remote control garage door opener.
    The big shower in my house.
    Beer..errr...beverage holder in my pickup.
    There are plenty more I could list but you've hit most of them.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 12 Jan 2005 at 7:06 PM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ike
    Internet, internet, internet. I know it's made my life easier. Research, travel, information, you name it. It has to be one of the greatest innovations EVER.
    Indeed. It has made me much smarter.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    My parents have a remote-control fireplace. It's gas, with the logs set up to look real, and it's very energy-efficient so it can heat part of their house. To turn it on, you just pick up the remote, hit "On", and adjust the temperature/flame to your preference. "Off" makes the fire go out. It's a very surreal blend of primal energy and modern technology, and a lot of fun to play with.
    I don't dream. I plan.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. New features for threads - Requests
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Mar 2010, 10:52 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jun 2007, 9:35 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Jul 2006, 12:38 PM