Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Stadium study

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Stadium study

I am doing a project on stadiums but I need to make it more focused and detailed. I know there has been a lot of studies done on this issue and I don't want to be reinventing the wheel. I want to focus on San Diego since it is where I'm from and I have access to more info. I was looking at the effects stadiums have on nearby communities or how they fit into the urban landscape(downtowns). Another topic I'm looking at is why they are still be publicly financed when we know they have minimal benefits to our cities. Any suggestions on a new angle that hasn't been looked at or some sources that would help me?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think the Brooking Institute has written a paper or two on the subject.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    PacBell Park in San Francisco was privately financed and you can't imagine the changes it's brought to that neighborhood. Contact the city of SF...or come to the APA and pee off Mastif's balcony with me during and after we watch Caddy Shack. Just a suggestion....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Take a look for articles about new Twins and Vikings stadiums in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area. Propositions for new stadiums have been tossed around for about 10 years now. Funny, because they had their original outdoor stadiums torn down because the trend was at the time to have a indoor stadium. And now everybody wants outdoor stadiums again.

Seriously. Some people just can't make up their minds.

I say: take the roof off of the Metrodome.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    You should look for the book Uncovering the Dome by Amy Klobuchar. It's not too long but goes into plenty of detail about the political process behind the Metrodome.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    PacBell Park in San Francisco was privately financed and you can't imagine the changes it's brought to that neighborhood. Contact the city of SF...or come to the APA and pee off Mastif's balcony with me during and after we watch Caddy Shack. Just a suggestion....
    The MCI Center in Washington was privately financed by Abe Pollin, the majority owner of the NBA Wizards and the former majority owner of the NHL Capitals. The transformation of Chinatown where the arena is located is tremendous. The arena was built on top of an existing Metro station. A new station wasn't needed just a new entrance, farebox machines and a escalator. Based on my keen observation of the after-game crowds, I would say at least 40 - 60 percent of the attendees take Metro to the games. The Capital Centre in suburban Landover, MD was imploded a couple of years ago, and is now one of those Town Center thingamajigs which is directly accessible to Metro. This is one new stadium/arena that was done right.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 31
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 1:47 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Oct 2007, 7:37 PM
  3. China's Olympic Stadium [was: Some News]
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0