Urban planning community

Poll results: Comparison: Apples or Oranges?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Apples

20 52.63%
  • Oranges

18 47.37%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparing apples to oranges

Registered
    Aug 2001

Comparing apples to oranges

AIB H

We often hear, and even use this phrase to refer to a manner in which two dissimilar things are considered. But do we ever take it literally? What if we compared apples to oranges? What would we say?

Personally, I think each fruit has its place in this world. But on the whole, under most circumstances I think an apple is the better fruit to eat. First, they are less messy than oranges when you eat them as a fruit. You don't have to peel them, they are not as sticky, and the seeds are more easily avoided. Apples may also be incorporated into a wider variety of treats, like apple pie, apple bread, apple sauce, apple butter, and apple cobbler. Ever try to eat a caramel orange? Would you have to peel it before dipping it in caramel? Then again, why would you even want to try?

The one thing oranges have going for them is the juice. Orange juice is much better than apple juice or apple cider. I guess that I would also admit that on hot, dusty hikes in the desert, few things taste better than an orange, and an apple will just not hold up under those conditions.

John McPhee wrote the definitive book on Oranges. It is titled "Oranges" and is packed with 149 pages of stories, history, and facts about oranges. Did you know that in 1965, there were something like 25 billion oranges harvested? No, I bet you didn't. Do you know how many apples were harvested? I don't either. Who cares? All I know is that I had an apple tree at my old house and I don't have one here. I do have an orange tree. I will be planting gooseberries, currants and plums. Anyway, the book is a good one. I would highly recommend it to anyone with an burning interest in citrus fruit.

So which is better, apples or oranges?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oranges are better because they can be frozen, keeping your lunch cool and providing a refreshing after lunch desert.

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    AIB H

John McPhee wrote the definitive book on Oranges. It is titled "Oranges" and is packed with 149 pages of stories, history, and facts about oranges. Did you know that in 1965, there were something like 25 billion oranges harvested? No, I bet you didn't. Do you know how many apples were harvested? I don't either. Who cares? All I know is that I had an apple tree at my old house and I don't have one here. I will be planting gooseberries, currants and plums. .

So which is better, apples or oranges?
    Oranges are better.

I belonged to the North American Fruit Explorers for a number of years and actually gave a presentation to my local NAFEX group on growing citrus indoors using Mc Phee's book for good anecdotes. I remember what fascinated me most was the fact that citrus fruits are so interbred that if you tried to grow an orange from seed you could potentially end up with a lime, a lemon, graprefruit... I actually got hooked into NAFEX by an apple zealot, though. He was a geologist who worked in my building, but he could only talk about apples and would to anyone who would listen. He personally was responsible for recruiting at least 30 or 40 local people into growing apple trees. He eventually went back to school to be a pomologist and the last I heard was living happily ever after.

What gardening zone do you live in that you can grow oranges at the same time as gooseberries and currants?

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Apples and Oranges.

In Dutch we speak of comparing Apples and Pears. You must have had some Southern influence somewhere.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I voted for oranges.

Raw apples give me stomach cramps.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Apples. You can do more with them.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Can you imagine the American history with Johnny Orangeseed?

I voted for apples. When I was in college in Maine, my history adviser took us to his farm and apple orchard for a get-to-know-you type thing. He gave us each a 1/2 gallon of hard cider he'd made up with the stern warning not to drive when we imbibed it. I was doubtful but came to understand what he meant. WOW! Plus I've got two sweet apples trees we planted in our backyard, so I guess I'm partial.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Blueberries.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The world is divided into two camps and you're either one of "us" or one of "them". We like apples best.
    They prefer oranges.
    Oranges have unappealing texture. Let's face it, after the juice is gone from an orange slice, all you've got left is this chewy mass of cellular tissue that feels funny going down your throat.
    Apples have balance and a firmness of character that cries out with pioneer spirit. None of that fly-by-night-flash-in-the-pan orange coloring. No, apples come in solid trustworthy red. Something one could build a nation eating. This country was built on Mom and apple pie, not nannies and orange juice.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Frankly, its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

sorry. had to do it.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I vote Apples.

They can be grown in a larger goegraphical area throughout the US than oranges, and more can be doen with them (as already mentioned).

A nice crispy Washington apple is good.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oranges are better! They are thrist quenching, and citrusy. Apples, generally are too sweet for me...except for Granny Smiths.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

I'd have to say....

Quote Originally posted by munibulldog
    Blueberries.
    Such a non-conformist munibulldog .....but blueberries do rule.......

I like oranges more than apples.....even though they are messy......but that apple pie is Soooooo Gooooood

I recently purchased some dehydrated plums that have cherry essence added.....dang those are good......

My favorite fruit has to be the.......strawberry or bannana......
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I go through phases of fruit consumption. what happens is I get a craving for an apple, pick up a few BC Delicious apples, eat them and remmebr that i like apples. Then i go buy a bag of Granny Smiths eat 3-4 and get a soft or bruised one and it turns me off of apples for awhile.

same thing with oranges, get a craving, eat good navel or jaffa oranges for awhile, buy the cheap ones and get a mealy or sour one and am turned off.

Now pineapples and mangoes you can almost never go wrong with either of them.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Apples = too tart.

Oranges = too acidic.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by munibulldog
    Blueberries.
    No doubt, Muni, the blueberry is the reigning monarch of the fruit kingdom. Certainly, it may not have the charisma of a strawberry or the suave sophistication you usually find in a pomogranite, but then it has none of the vanity of an apricot or the supercilious nature of a pear. It is not plebian, like the lowly cherry, or patrician like a grape. It has none of the egomaniacal qualities you find in a kiwi. No, the blueberry gives us balance, refinement, and equanimity. Men admire it. Women find it irresistable. Many of these same character traits may be found in its cousin, the wild huckleberry. Still, we are comparing apples to oranges.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Apples. You can do more with them.
    Apple juice, apple cider, apple butter, apple cobbler, apple pie, caramel apples, candy apples, ....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'd have to go with the orange. They're fun to peel, providing a few moments' intense focus on getting the pith out. It's almost a meditative exercise--when you eat an orange, you are only eating an orange, whereas apples multitask. You can type with one hand and read while eating an apple. They aren't nearly so demanding of your attention. Plus oranges provide juice and texture--a two-for-one deal. Oranges are a nice peaceful happy color (except perhaps for blood oranges), while apples are a more forthright red or a suspiciously waxy green. Overall, oranges are a more Zen fruit.
    Having said all that, I do love a caramel apple in October.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I vote Apples. I like the sharpness and cider reminds me of being 16 (although I haven't drunk cider since I was 17, which curiously enough was the last time I ate a Donor Kebab too - mmmm...nice)

But then again my favourite fruit has to be a Raspberry.

Registered
    May 2002
    Oranges are tasty, but a pain to sit and eat at your desk. An apple is more portable, and less difficult to prepare to eat.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'd rather drink orange juice than apple juice and I'd rather eat an apple than an orange. Weird, huh?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Oranges are good for juice, but have too much 'skin' to enjoy eating. Clementines on the other hand are quite easy and delicious to eat as they have minimal skin and have quite a sweet taste. For some reason they seem to be sesonal, late fall/winter and tend to be imported from Spain, or N. Africa. Last year I saw some for sale in the summer from S. Africa.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I'd rather drink orange juice than apple juice and I'd rather eat an apple than an orange. Weird, huh?
    Not weird. I am exactly the opposite. I would much rather drink apple juice than orange juice, and eat an orange rather than an apple.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Have to add, if didn't vote for apples, I'd be doing my community a disservice.
    Our Department logo:
    Part of our Website Header Image:

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I like both and demand a "Both" option in the poll!
    Cranberries are good too, specially the mix with raspberries. mmmmm
    Now, Papayas are something you probably don't get up north but they're delicious!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Comparing the talk show hosts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 16 May 2012, 10:44 AM
  2. Apples Falling From Trees
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 5:56 PM
  3. Replies: 4