Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Movies you've watched recently

Registered
    Jul 2002

Movies you've watched recently

I saw The Motorcycle Diaries yesterday. Wow. I'd highly recommend it. Pretty amazing landscapes and an insightful look into Che Guevara's early years. Very powerful story.

Also saw Around the World in 80 Days (with Jackie Chan and some other guy). Pretty bad.

Watched Old School on DVD, from the makers of Road Trip. A few laughs but not as good as Road Trip and not really my thing...

What have you seen recently? Any that you'd highly recommend?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    We rented 'De-Lovely' over the weekend. The Cole Porter songs were great, but overall the movie was okay.

Saw 'The Life Aquatic' last weekend and I have no idea of what the heck it was supposed to be about. Two thumbs down.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If you haven't seen Napolean Dynamite, I suggest it. Although it isn't deep (at all) it is a good laugh. If you love idiotic jokes, and catch phrases that you catch yourself saying, then this is a good movie for you....

Also I saw King Arthur and Troy over the break and found that they are both alright, but nothing great. Troy follows the story fairly true, but is just nothing too special. King Arthur was just out there. It was not put together well, but the idea was good. It put all the stories of lore together in one. Kinda odd.

And lastly, Garden State. I think that this movie is very good. It was strange, yet enjoyable. Vulger at times, but who isn't?

Just a couple thoughts.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Finished watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly this weekend. Absolutely awesome!

As was For a Few Dollars More. I caught a strong anti-war undercurrent???

Now on the DVD Player: Chungking Express, followed by The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner
    If you haven't seen Napolean Dynamite, I suggest it. Although it isn't deep (at all) it is a good laugh. If you love idiotic jokes, and catch phrases that you catch yourself saying, then this is a good movie for you....

Also I saw King Arthur and Troy over the break and found that they are both alright, but nothing great. Troy follows the story fairly true, but is just nothing too special. King Arthur was just out there. It was not put together well, but the idea was good. It put all the stories of lore together in one. Kinda odd.

And lastly, Garden State. I think that this movie is very good. It was strange, yet enjoyable. Vulger at times, but who isn't?

Just a couple thoughts.
    I was stuck watching King Arthur on an airplane flight in November. My recollection was worse than yours-no plot, poor character development, boring endless warfare scenes, and non-charismatic actors (imo)
    Last edited by nerudite; 10 Jan 2005 at 11:14 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Napoleon Dynamite - quirky and good

The Terminal - Better than I expected.

The Incredibles gets on a scale of four . The film is cg, but the sets are absolutely terrific. The film plays out over about a 10 year period, from about 1941 to '50. The architecture is lushly drawn, and the interior decoration is dead-on for a '50s show-house. Somebody was paying attention to detail.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Sounds like BKM has been doing what we've done the past few weekends - theme movie marathons. Last week we watched (all 11.5 hours of the) LOTR special edition trilogy, the week before Star Wars, before that we had company over to do a Kevin Bacon marathon (Oh footloose footlose ). Now that I think of it I've got an extensive Clint Eastwood collection: Josey Wales, Good Bad Ugly, Kelley's Heroes, all Dirty Harry pix (except 'Magnum Force'), Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, Keep the Change - This Killing is on Me.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    As for recent films - I only have three the past month to review:

Meet the Fockers out of kitties, it was close to being only one . I enjoyed Meet the Parents, but evidently the writers assumed people loved Meet the Parents so much, they would just write in references to that movie rather than new jokes. As for new jokes, a couple of the oldest most tiring comedic devices possible: old people having sex & cute babies. Very tiring film which I'm completely lost to why it is so popular. Wait - never mind....

The Life Aquatic kitties - it's a love affair. Actually, I was in NYC when it opened in early December, so I got to see it before it's national release Not much really to say, but it's a pretty damn perfect comedy - rivalring Rushmore as Anderson's best film.

Sideways kitties, & possilby a fifth kitty after rewatching it. It reminded me a bit of Lost in Translation, not the topic, but the mood it puts you in. It is somewhat dreamlike, as if you were watching yourself or someone you know in a dream. Truly, this is best film about how bad merlot is ever - but I admit I do like merlot.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Some recent movies (mostly rentals)

Thumbs Up:

American Splendor - The life of Harvey Pekar, author of the American Splendor comics. Very good even if you never read the comics (like me).

Napoleon Dynamite - What everybody else said. Any one of those characters alone is worth the price of admission.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Thumbs Halfway Up:

Dodgeball - I know its stupid, but its funny.

Garden State - Pretty good, but I found Natalie Portman to be too annoying.

Collateral - Good at first but got very hard to believe, especially when Tom Cruise starts acting like a ninja.

Sunshine State - John Sayles fictional look at development pressures on a Florida town. Good idea (especially for this crowd) but extra long and ponderous.

Thumbs Down:

Orange County - Nothing funny about it.
    Last edited by Seabishop; 10 Jan 2005 at 10:38 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Napoleon Dynamite, Garden State and Terminal. Oh, and Shrek 2 also. I'm a big fan of the new release wall.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Got Napolean Dynomite for Christmas....haven't watched it yet....based on what I'm hearing, I may just like it.

Recent films seen: Welcome to Mooseport - fair....had a few moments...watched it with FIL, who thought it was great.

Rewatched Dr. Strangelove Friday night...still a great movie upon 4th or 5th watching.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We watched Little Black Book and Anchorman this weekend. Both totally mindnumbingly stupid, which was what we were after.
    In the last couple of weeks. Took the kids to see Limony Snikkets ok movie.

And we were finally toatlly bore enough to put in The Passion. Once was enough I won't watch that one again.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2002
    Got a bunch of movies, either directly or through gift cards, for Christmas.

Finally got Patton. LOVE that show.

Watched Usual Suspects last night. Wife had never seen that. Like that a lot.

I got Roger & Me. I liked that a lot, and having come from the Flint area and never having seen that movie, I can say, yeah, it's like that.

I haven't seen the 'V' series yet, or Matrix, or Heat. Well, I've seen these, but not the copies that I just got.

In the theater, National Treasure. I've seen it twice, once with friends and once with Wife.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Anyone see Kinsey yet? I saw it with the GF last night. Interesting movie. I liked it. If you are disturbed by frank talk of sex and subtle images of copulation, you probably shouldn't see it. Also, it's a "Fox Searchlight" movie, so it pretends to be art house fare - it's actuallly a typical Hollywood film with big names like Liam Neeson and John Lithgow. The narrative, in my opinion, feels formulaic, mimicing "A Beautiful Mind." Also, Mike Curry, who played Dr. Frank N. Furter in "Rocky Horror Picture Show," is cast in the ironic role of a prudish professor.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I thought Napoleon Dynamite was okay, and Garden State a little better. I watched a cute movie last night called Touch of Pink (Canadian comedy). Troy was better than I expected (but I wasn't expecting too much). The best movie I've seen in a long, long time is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I've watched it a few times in the past few months, and I catch something new each time.

Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    We watched Little Black Book
    Too bad you think it's dumb... I was really hoping that it would be a good comedy, since I have quite a thing for Ron Livingston. I spent the better part of the weekend watching Band of Brothers again... so I got a little of my Ron Livingston fix.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    As a parent, I have two movie categories:

Still watchable
    Shrek
    Finding Nemo
    Mary Poppins
    Mulan

Not watchable
    The Lion King
    Peter Pan
    Baby Mozart
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I didn't realize how much I liked Napoleon Dynamite until a couple of days later when I saw an ad for it on TV. It's one of those movies where you find yourself quoting little one-liners and talking about with friends. "It was the worst day of my life...what do you think?!?!", "Nunchuck skillz", etc. Not quite up there with Office Space in terms of little one-liners, but along that line on a smaller scale.

Dodgeball was some funny ****. and it did not require a single brain cell to watch. Just an enjoyable flick.

I was indifferent on Garden State. I've seen much better this year.

Eternal Sunshine was an excellent movie, probably one of the best I've seen this year.

The Cooler was a pretty good movie even though I despise the Baldwins.

Anchorman and American Splendor are on-deck at Netflix...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yesterday: Spider Man 2.... ok.. I was bored, and I don't think I'll let anybody lure me into watching the 3rd one.. God forbid.
    A few days/weeks ago:
    Collateral... as an action movie... it's ok, but it's just an action movie.
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind... I liked this one. Weird just like I like 'em.
    Before Sunset... nice romantic story
    Before Sunrise... as above.

I think that's the latest movies I've seen.
    Although I did see The terminal in Santiago, quite good; at least it was worth seeing; not fantastic, but I didn't expect much.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Last movies I saw:

Shark Tale - D SAC how could give this garbage even close to a B-?!?
    Sherk 2

I have seen my fill of Wiggles, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Power Rangers lately.

Last "Big People" movie I have ever seen: A Mighty Wind
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    This weekend:

Star Wars - Episode I

and

Ernest Goes to Camp
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Last movies I saw:

Shark Tale - D SAC how could give this garbage even close to a B-?!?
    Sherk 2

I
    Well the special effects were excellent, but the story was crap, so it averages out to a B-

Registered
    May 2003
    I saw The Aviator over the weekend.

It was a strange movie (I guess that's what you get when you have such a strange subject) but it's definitive proof that Leonardo Dicaprio is a legitimate (and very good) actor, and not just a pretty-boy.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    The best movie I've seen in a long, long time is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I've watched it a few times in the past few months, and I catch something new each time..
    I liked that movie a lot, too. Wasn't it made by the same guy who wrote Being John Malkovich? I loved that one.

We rented Napoleon Dynamite on a friend's recommendation. I quit after thirty or forty minutes. Maybe you need to get stoned a lot to understand it. Or maybe I'm just too damn old.

The Life of David Gale was very good, quite riveting. I'm a big Kevin Spacey fan.

We also rented a low-budget movie called Open Water, about scuba-divers who get left behind by the boat. Yikes! That was really scary, and no special effects!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The last movie I saw was Fat Albert, and it was awful. I won tickets to see Hotel Rwanda, but I had to give them away.

My list of movies to see:

The Aviator
    Hotel Rwanda
    Kinsey
    Eternal Sunshine
    Anchorman
    Collateral

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. HI, recently joined this forum
    Introduce Yourself