Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trader Magazine - a new proof our culture has expired

Registered
    Aug 2004

Trader Magazine - a new proof our culture has expired

I thought I’d share the attached link which is to a review of a new magazine Trader. This horrific-sounding magazine caters to young rich males who, by shear luck, immorality, aggressiveness, or family/fraternity connections, have made an unholy amount of money in trading but would like advice on how to make some more. And since the magazine is also trying to be a “men’s interest” (whatever that is, I’ve never known) magazine, apparently like Maxim, it also provides guidance on how to waste all that money on useless, outrageously over-priced toys or “adventurous” trips. (These trips would probably involve “wacky” and “edgy” things like skydiving, as long as there was no learning or intellectual growth involved.) Lastly, of course, as the dessert, it seems there is an element of misogyny, as evidenced by a cute column on how scumbag Kobe Bryant bought his way out of trouble by giving his loser wife a $4 million ring after cheating on her, a feature which was included because "We did some focus groups and the editorial guys realized: Traders get in trouble a lot. Sometimes they have to buy their way out of it.'' Simply amazing stuff. But my biggest problem is that, beyond the select few super-rich wierdos that this magazine directly caters to, I think sadly there is a significant proportion of the male population (e.g., half the population of the average business school) that admires this sort of person and dreams of becoming a vacuous, self-centered, super-rich, over-consuming, alpha-money-slut male.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...9.asp?GT1=6065

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by RSW
    ..........and dreams of becoming a vacuous, self-centered, super-rich, over-consuming, alpha-money-slut male.

Other than the "Vacuous" part, the rest doesn't sound to bad!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Wow ... I'm reminded of Denver, circa 1999, during the height of the dot-com boom. There were day trading and discount brokerage boutiques everywhere, and it seems like everyone I met was either involved in finance, or some job where they "offer robust, end-to-end e-business solutions to Global 2000 cliens."

I think this magazine arrived several years too late. It would have really taken off during the late 1990s, when even lowly planners were discussing stocks around the coffee machines and visiting E-trade between phone calls about zoning.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Wow ... I'm reminded of Denver, circa 1999, during the height of the dot-com boom...

I think this magazine arrived several years too late...
    But the people that this caters to never have and never will go away.

Look at the title of the MSNBC article -- "Frat Boys With Expense Accounts." There's always been that element.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    But the people that this caters to never have and never will go away.

Look at the title of the MSNBC article -- "Frat Boys With Expense Accounts." There's always been that element.
    The secret to getting rich in stocks is to be in brokerage. I don't mean in the old "win or lose you still get a commission" way, but in the new way. You suck up to the big investors and screw the little guy. Let's say you manage a mutual fund family with a couple large investors, and several hundred small ones. You begin by setting fees for the small guys but not for the big ones. Next, you manipulate stocks in each fund. IS something not performing well and hurting a big guy? Move it around and let the little guy get stuck with it. After hours trading? Sure, for the big guy. This should give you comfort when you think about individual accounts for social insecurity
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I have to laugh at the computer geeks before the crash, they thought they were going to rule the world.

In reality....

My palm pilot doesn't work any more, can you fix it, mr geek?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RSW
    I think sadly there is a significant proportion of the male population (e.g., half the population of the average business school) that admires this sort of person and dreams of becoming a vacuous, self-centered, super-rich, over-consuming, alpha-money-slut male.
    That's why I got into planning.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Mar 2013, 5:03 PM
  2. Trader Joe's coming to Boston's South End
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 1:48 PM
  3. It expired WHEN?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25