Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CDBG Rant

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

CDBG Rant

[rant] I am not sure where this should go, so I am going to put it here and let the mods move it at will….

Well, our CDBG rep now wants us to keep track and time cards for work that we do in Low/Mod income areas. Well our admin contact person said that Maister, one other person, and I have to spend 1/3 of our time doing code enforcement in low to moderate income areas… and it is ONLY code enforcement. Here is where it gets crazy. Maybe 1/5 of my ‘area’ is low to mod income… and we have a lot of other duties other than code enforcement. So we need a minimum of 13.3 hours a week, on what we should spend less than 8 hours on. OH to make things better, they took away the possibility of working more than 40 hours in a week. If we do, me must leave early in the same week. Did I mention that we are required to work the front desk for 9 hours a week, some of which can be spent on low to mod income… but most of the time it is answering phones, speaking with people and the front counter, and dealing with all the BS that our secretary should be doing, but is not because she is too busy planning her F*&#$ WEDDING!

To make things worse… the low/mod income areas are not that big… if we break it down, and say that each case will take a half hour per week, we need to do a minimum of 27 cases per week, and then give them at least 10 days to correct the violation, then we get another half our per case for inspection and closing paperwork! AHHH

Others that have to do code enforcement can share my pain with me.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Wait a sec. you are supposed to focus on code enforcement in low income areas? Hmm good thing you aren't a bank or you'd be redlining.

The whole thing sounds like bureaucratic hell, or Dilbert.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    Wait a sec. you are supposed to focus on code enforcement in low income areas? Hmm good thing you aren't a bank or you'd be redlining.

The whole thing sounds like bureaucratic hell, or Dilbert.
    You see, that is the problem... The low/mod income areas in my town, have less code violations than the nice parts of most other towns. We are sending violations for a few tree branches in someones back yard and calling them a brush pile.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Usually as Michaelskis and I are driving around I'm singing the Dead Kennedy's "Police Truck" (Tonights the night we've got the truck let's go downtown and beat up drunks.....) or "Let's Lynch the Landlord".

Say, Michaelskis, while I'm thinking of it, you should finish hooking up the tape player in the city car so we can listen to that "Favorite Marches of the Third Reich" tape, next time we're cruising the 'state' streets....

I think it's wonderful we are being actively encouraged to target certain geographic areas/demographics. It makes me feel so goshdarn powerful....

I am about ready to walk. Can anyone offer the Maister respectable employment in a nondiscriminatory capacity? Otherwise, tomorrow I am having my name legally changed to 'Stan'
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Stan's the man. Cook the books.

After the CC meeting tonight I may join yah.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by munibulldog
    Stan's the man. Cook the books.

After the CC meeting tonight I may join yah.
    Come on down to the cot in the storage room, there is lots of room for all the other slackers out there.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Oh...man...sounds very unpleasant.

I am so happy that with this new job I no longer have any code enforcement responsibilities. Code enforcement is the worst (sorry code enforcers)

What is the definition of "low/moderate income" for your muni? I would guess it is higher than the typical center city.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    What is the definition of "low/moderate income" for your muni? I would guess it is higher than the typical center city.
    For us...it's anyone who doens't drive a BMW or makes under 6 figures!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. CDBG cut by 11%
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Nov 2011, 8:25 PM
  2. Creative uses for CDBG
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Aug 2010, 9:02 AM
  3. CDBG positions
    Career Development and Advice