Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: US migration patterns - United Van Lines

US migration patterns - United Van Lines

Attached is the 2004 United Van Lines synopsis of U.S. migration patterns based upon the company's movement of household goods. As is probably no surprise, people are moving to the West and Southeast and... to Iowa! The general movement is an out-migration from most northern states. How is your state fairing?

http://www.unitedvanlines.com/media/press/2005.htm

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Atlas HQ is in my fair city. Here are their numbers -
    http://www.atlasworldgroup.com/migration/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Until we put up an insanely high toll and require that English not have a Yankee accent, people are going to keep coming to Florida. I wish they would go to Georgia or some other Southeastern state and leave Florida alone.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    Until we put up an insanely high toll and require that English not have a Yankee accent, people are going to keep coming to Florida. I wish they would go to Georgia or some other Southeastern state and leave Florida alone.
    No it will not stop anytime soon, not with the Baby Boom Gen retiring.

We have consistantly added 300,000 persons plus a year since 1985 and will continue to add that for many more years. The predictions are stagering. I will try and find a link to the predictions that are being made.

I myself have moved in, so I am not being hypocritical, just being concerned about a real issue... plus my parents went to school here and then moved (to Altlanta) just a little before I was born, so I like to think that I am really just moving back . I think about half my family lives in Florida, including my two brothers (even though we were all born in Ga.) I also have several aunt's, uncle's, cousins, (passed away) grandparents, that all live here.... none of them born here. So I guess my family* is part of the problem and we cover pretty much the entire state.

In my class at FSU (about 60-70 students) I asked the class to raise their hand if they were born in FL... about half did. I then told them to leave it up if their parents' were born here... half of those went down... I then asked them to leave it up if their grandparents were born here... there were about 3 left up. I have done this with two classes now and got about the same results.

I bet the results would be different at Oklahoma State or Mississippi State or most other U. States.

*sidenote: none of us have anything close to a yankee accent.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    Sounds like a friend of mine who lives in (ugh) Cary, NC. C-A-R-Y, of course, is an acronym for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees". Amazingly, he's actually from there and has a Southern accent. Upon moving into his new house on a cul-de-sac, his new neighbors dropped by to welcome him. When they heard his drawl, one of them commented. "You're not from around here, are you?"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I live in Mobile, AL. and i'm a year away from moving to the Northeast, I guess i'm going against the grain.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Business migration
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Aug 2007, 11:05 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 23 Sep 2006, 1:31 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Dec 2004, 4:37 PM
  4. Housing patterns??
    Make No Small Plans