Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Home Improvement questions...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Home Improvement questions...

Okay I did a thread search and didn't find anything that matches, so I will pose some questions for the Great Throbbing Brain here.

As some of you may have picked up on. I am looking at buying a house. I have met with the realtor and will be out looking at houses soon enough. There was one that caught my eye though, it is in great shape, but needs some work. Meaning the new exterior paint is turqouise, and the new carpeting is of a magenta hue. Everything else is up-to-date and looks good, it is on a corner lot and it'll fit nicely for my needs.
    My Questions are:
    Paint: It is new and I would keep it if I lived in Florida or someplace tropical, but not in Colorado, where earthtones dominate.

-How much would it be to repaint? That is, if I hired someone.

-Would any of you recommend painting it myself? I have experience doing this and I wouldn't mind a project this summer.

-As for the carpet, it would be a couple thousand dollars to have someone redo it, right? I feel bad because it is new, but in my opinion it is hideous.

-What if I installed laminate flooring? The price I can afford if I do it a little at a time, but is it easy to do for someone with minor construction skills?

Any help is greatly appreciated and this will also keep me from getting bored when all my work is done later... (don't tell the boss)

Thanks in advance...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    You can put it in your offer that you want the seller to pay for the paint. Then you pick it up at the hardware store and all you have to supply is the labor. BTDT.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I am a do it yourselfer. I always assume that paint and carpet can be changed and probably will need to be. Unless you are building your own house, I don't know how colors and carpet could possibly work. It is part of bonding with your home.
    I understand about not wanting to change out new carpet. I am still living with some of that my self. I am just hoping that I can ruin it quickly. But I will change it out as soon as I get the money together.

Good Luck
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002

Been There

I went through a lot of this with an old house we bought around 10 years ago that needed lots of work. My overall advice:

Do as much as possible before moving in- or else you will have lots of buyers remorse as you live through the renovations (to say nothing of getting all your stuff dusty and painty while redoing things.

Paint- I recommend doing it yourself if you think you can be a details person and have time. It's not that hard but it does take an attention span. Cost is much higher if you pay someone to do it.

Floors- I just had a wood floor put in and it didn't seem that hard to do. Don't forget to try to find out what's under the carpet- you may find that there is a hardwood floor under there that just needs cleaning up. If not, I recommend wood not laminate, unless there is a weight problem on the floors. Even better if you are feeling green is bamboo, which is extremely sustainable. The price of all three is about the same (well, laminate can be cheaper but if you buy cheap laminate it may not last.) In terms of putting it on yourself, if its a "floating floor" (ie. doesn't need to be nailed down) that looks fairly easy as long as you can cut it carefully to fit. If it needs to be nailed down that's a larger job. Cost is not that much higher to pay someone. I don't know much about carpets.

Good luck with it all- it never ends. We are now looking at redoing things we did on the cheap 10 years ago when we had less money, plus we are still finishing up some items we thought could wait. But we could never afford a house around here now, so I guess its all worth it.

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Okay I did a thread search and didn't find anything that matches, so I will pose some questions for the Great Throbbing Brain here.

As some of you may have picked up on. I am looking at buying a house. I have met with the realtor and will be out looking at houses soon enough. There was one that caught my eye though, it is in great shape, but needs some work. Meaning the new exterior paint is turqouise, and the new carpeting is of a magenta hue. Everything else is up-to-date and looks good, it is on a corner lot and it'll fit nicely for my needs.
    My Questions are:
    Paint: It is new and I would keep it if I lived in Florida or someplace tropical, but not in Colorado, where earthtones dominate.

-How much would it be to repaint? That is, if I hired someone.

-Would any of you recommend painting it myself? I have experience doing this and I wouldn't mind a project this summer.

-As for the carpet, it would be a couple thousand dollars to have someone redo it, right? I feel bad because it is new, but in my opinion it is hideous.

-What if I installed laminate flooring? The price I can afford if I do it a little at a time, but is it easy to do for someone with minor construction skills?

Any help is greatly appreciated and this will also keep me from getting bored when all my work is done later... (don't tell the boss)

Thanks in advance...

Might need a little more info ZMan -- one-story, two-story? Level lot or not? If it were me, I'd do the painting and live with the carpets for a while.

I scraped and painted my old house myself. Two-story on a raised basement -- I needed a 32' extension ladder to do the job. First few times up the ladder were not fun, but I just made sure that I didn't over-extend myself and moved the ladder frequently. Only truly scary moment was when my cat climbed up the ladder and I had to carry her and the paint pot down the ladder basically without hands!

Will be painting it again this summer but won't have near the amount of scraping to do as I did the first time. Good luck!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Painting takes a long time to do, but it is not difficult. Unless you have some very high walls I would recommend that you do it yourself. As for the floor, Masswich is right. Invest in better material up front. I love the look and warmth of bamboo, and the floating floors are very easy to install. Still, you may want to hold off on that for a year or so. Once you move in you will find many small things that you will be spending money on, from furniture to paint to blinds and so on. I was shopping for switchplates last weekend and came across some nice ones for $110. Yes, you can buy the plastic ones at Home Depot for $0.59, but there are thousands of decorative ones that add so much character to a room, and if you only have a half dozen to buy, is $700 too much to spend?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I would do the painting myself. Whatever you do, replace the carpet very last.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm well, the exterior painting could be done by yourself without much problems, unless the walls are too high.
    Now the carpet, will be a b*tch to take out and replace with whatever you want when you're done installing yourself in the house; so you may just want to take it out now. Don't know if you'll be albe to sell it, even if you take it out carefully; but that'd be the best scenario, so it won't be such a waste since it's quite new.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Installing float florring is an easy job. Just make sure you have a chop saw and remember to include new baseboards in the budget.

If you know you plan on staying for awhile, i'd go hardwood, I think laminate flooring is going to be teh wood paneling of the future. might as well do it right the first time.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Might need a little more info ZMan -- one-story, two-story? Level lot or not? If it were me, I'd do the painting and live with the carpets for a while.

I scraped and painted my old house myself. Two-story on a raised basement -- I needed a 32' extension ladder to do the job. First few times up the ladder were not fun, but I just made sure that I didn't over-extend myself and moved the ladder frequently. Only truly scary moment was when my cat climbed up the ladder and I had to carry her and the paint pot down the ladder basically without hands!

Will be painting it again this summer but won't have near the amount of scraping to do as I did the first time. Good luck!
    This house is a tri-level. I think the painting will be the first job. If I get the house. I have to tell myself that I don;t own the house yet, and I am at the beginning stages of looking at houses, but I do like to think of this stuff.
    The highest walls, do not seem too high, and we have a tall ladder to use. It'll take a while, but the finished product would be something to be proud of.

I'll get more specific as I closer to buying something.

Thanks guys.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2003
    My recommendation for anyone that is doing a paint job on the outside of a home they are wanting to last....

A product called Peel Stop as a primer. Goes on a milky color, drys clear. Bonds the paint. I used it on an old victorian going on 20 years ago now. Still hanging in there. Costs a bit more takes a bit longer but if a paint job last 20 years you will never have to do it again. I have also used it on paint around the top of my shower. It is just amazing stuff. OK I will shut up now.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Go for it.....

I would suggest painting the outside yourself. Outside is relatively easy and doesn't involve as much "detail."

If you paint indoors, think about hiring someone and doing a bit at a time if the cost is too high. Nothing hurts your showing of a house for sale down the road like having bad paint work....

Carpets: Replace last and with the cheapest stuff you can buy that will last 5 years. This way, you optimize your $ in case you sell in less than 5 years. Get at least a 1/4" dense foam pad, prefer 3/4". If you have animals, stay away from berber, if no animals, get berber.

Don't forget the simulated grass carpet in your study for some putting practice during the winter

Use a darker hue outside paint when possible, it will appear to last longer and look newer and attract buyers in the future.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    ...[snip]...Don't forget the simulated grass carpet in your study for some putting practice during the winter ...[snip]....
    Why didn't I think of this for my extra bedroom? You're a genius!!! But no plastic grass. So, do I plant rye, bent, Kentucky blue, or some other variety or blend? How do I vary the contour of the floor? Should I take up the tile? What about the windows with the sill about one-foot from the floor? Too bad it's not quite big enough for chipping practice, too. I'm off to do a Google search....

Registered
    Mar 2004

Try....

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Why didn't I think of this for my extra bedroom? You're a genius!!! But no plastic grass. So, do I plant rye, bent, Kentucky blue, or some other variety or blend? How do I vary the contour of the floor? Should I take up the tile? What about the windows with the sill about one-foot from the floor? Too bad it's not quite big enough for chipping practice, too. I'm off to do a Google search....
    Try a bit of the ole Northern California Sinsemilla .....................BWA HA HA HA HA.....a Caddyshack style quote......snicker....he he he......
    Skilled Adoxographer

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Try a bit of the ole Northern California Sinsemilla ...[snip]...
    Yep, after you play 18, it'll stone the bejeezus outta ya. And you knew I was from NoCal, right?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Yer gonna need some good grow lights to grow grass in the bedroom.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Complete Chaddyshack Quote -

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Thank-you http://www.imdb.com/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    The indoor putting green in the town next door has Astroturf laid over a layer of sand. You can roll the sand around a bit and vary the surface.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Home Improvement
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 247
    Last post: 16 Sep 2014, 11:27 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Mar 2012, 5:07 PM
  3. $400 Home Improvement Project
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17