Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Atlanta, Buckhead, Roads, and Bobby Jones

Atlanta, Buckhead, Roads, and Bobby Jones

A few days ago a reader of my blog pointed out to me a proposal which
    had been presented to run a road through Atlanta's Bobby Jones golf course
    in Buckhead. I initially expressed skepticism that such a proposal had been seriously considered , given the attitude of neighborhoods within the city limits to roadbuilding, but the reader provided me with a link, and the city councilwoman from Buckhead had indeed floated such a proposal, against the backdrop of resistance to GDOT proposals for the widening of Northside Drive.

I've been thinking about the role of roads and the attitude of people on
    both sides of the roadbuilding issue for quite some time, and decided to
    use this issue as an opportunity to do some pondering of the issue:

The URL is

http://larryfeltonjohnson.typepad.co.../01/roads.html

Larry

Registered
    Jul 2003
    You know, my sister used to live in Sandy Springs, so Buckhead, Bobby Jones, etc. all sound familiar from my visit(s) to her and from conversations with her. But I can't really get a feel for the layout and I find it confusing to try to follow either the article or your comments. I am vaguely thinking my sister lived near 5-points and maybe Bobby Jones was a 4 lane road that became a two lane road for the last section, which her street maybe was just off of. But I imagine all of that is really garbled and you are going "HUH???" and scratching your head. (And I wonder if the cemetary in the photos on your blog is the same cemetary that she had to drive the long way around to get her daughter to the church-based preschool because it cut off the roads and separated the residential part of the neighborhood from shopping, etc.)

Is there a map somewhere? I imagine this discussion is just as confusing for other folks not intimately familiar with that part of Atlanta.

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    You know, my sister used to live in Sandy Springs, so Buckhead, Bobby Jones, etc. all sound familiar from my visit(s) to her and from conversations with her. But I can't really get a feel for the layout and I find it confusing to try to follow either the article or your comments. I am vaguely thinking my sister lived near 5-points and maybe Bobby Jones was a 4 lane road that became a two lane road for the last section, which her street maybe was just off of. But I imagine all of that is really garbled and you are going "HUH???" and scratching your head. (And I wonder if the cemetary in the photos on your blog is the same cemetary that she had to drive the long way around to get her daughter to the church-based preschool because it cut off the roads and separated the residential part of the neighborhood from shopping, etc.)

Is there a map somewhere? I imagine this discussion is just as confusing for other folks not intimately familiar with that part of Atlanta.
    Posting a link to a map is a good idea. When I get time to do a mapquest map I'll edit my article and put up a link (I'll post it on this thread too).

As for general location, this (for people who know Buckhead in some detail) is near Collier Road between the interstection of Northside Drive (near where I-75 intersects) and Peachtree (at Piedmont Hospital).

I'm not sure about the cemetery, but there are two church based pre-schools near Oakland Cemetery, Grant Park Cooperative (in St. Paul Methodist) and one in Central Presbyterian (downtown).

Buckhead is a wealthy area to the north of the city's core (but south of Sandy Springs). It was annexed into the city in 1952, and most of the built area is composed of post-WWII construction. I used to joke that it's the home of the million dollar two bedroom ranch house, but it also contains a large number of genuine mansions (the current Georgia Governor's mansion is there).

Michelle,

Here's a link to a mapquest map of the area. The golf course is labelled Atlanta Memorial Park. If you zoom in one step you'll get a more detailed view of the street network. Zooming out one will put it more in context of surrounding areas.

http://tinyurl.com/4jdr6

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Sep 2007, 5:14 PM
  2. Noted Architect E. Fay Jones dies at 83
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Sep 2004, 9:31 AM