Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sample lesson plans on urban planning

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sample lesson plans on urban planning

Hi everyone, I'd like to start going into inner-city high schools and teaching kids about the urban planning profession. As I'm sure you are all aware, kids are not exactly dreaming of becoming city planners. I believe that one of the reasons why is that no-one has told them that this is an opportunity. The contacting of high schools about career fairs or government classes would be my best bet, but I don't really have much of a guideline to follow. I'd like to be able to explain the them concisely and show them interesting examples of how planning affects their everyday lives. I want to be able to relate planning to them and let them know that this is a career option where they can help others who grew up in underserved areas (as I did).

In grad school I learned about putting together lesson plans, and I was wondering if anyone knows of existing ones I can use as a template? I guess I am looking for someone to bounce some ideas off of about how to approach this. I'm off to the APA website to see what they might have.

Thanks, DetroitPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    In grad school I learned about putting together lesson plans, and I was wondering if anyone knows of existing ones I can use as a template? I guess I am looking for someone to bounce some ideas off of about how to approach this. I'm off to the APA website to see what they might have.
    The Canadian Institute of Planners has produced a guide called A Kid's Guide to Building Great Communities that may be of some use to you.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    ...[snip]... As I'm sure you are all aware, kids are not exactly dreaming of becoming city planners....[snip]....
    Kids are smarter than we think they are....tell them to run from this profession like it is a pestilence . My suggestion: major in bio-tech (like I started and should have continued--but no, I go to the social sciences dept....). (Notice no smilie.)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 23 Jan 2005 at 3:37 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Here is a resource you might want to look at. Right now it is geared towards students a bit younger that H.S. but it may be expanding in the future to upper grade levels. I have been working with and facilitated the adult curriculum for the past few months. its a great program check it out.

http://www.msue.msu.edu/cplanner/jcp/jcp.htm

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Did a Ppt. link ever get posted here?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Did a Ppt. link ever get posted here?
    I don't think so. But I included the thread anyway because Michaelskis talked about some of the things he was going to include -- which I felt met the criteria of "an outline" or "template" so someone does not need to start from scratch. You could ask him if he still has a copy of it and if he is willing to share.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Wow what a great resource all of you are, thank you! Web searches came up with nothing for me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Jan 2010, 11:06 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Oct 2009, 2:04 PM
  3. A lesson for consideration
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Sep 2003, 3:11 PM
  4. Urban Biodiversity Plans
    Perry's Cantina (archive)