Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What skills an internship?

Registered
    Jan 2005

What skills an internship?

Can anyone teach me which skills I should seek in my summer internship in order to make myself useful (and hire-able) after finishing my masters in urban planning?

And, does anyone know of a killer resource listing internships in Northern California?

Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Three words... organize, organize, organize.

Depending on the complexity and variety of the work you will be doing, I think that this will be key. Since you are in grad school you probably already know this. It will help you immensely in the future.

some other tips: if it will not already be required, volunteer to go public meetings and observe as much as you can about the public hearing and decision making process. Some professionals come into the field without ever been to one of these.

Also spend time networking as much as you can. some of the people you meet might be a potential employer when your done with the internship.

Lastly, I would spend time honing your presentation an public speaking skills.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Often, organizations don't actually advertise intern positions. Both of my internships came about by my sending a resume and cover letter stating that I was interested in interning. Interns generally aren't critical needs, so going through the trouble of advertising a position is not always done. I know we don't advertise to get interns.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Jan 2005
    There are a couple site though if you are seeking internships. APA's job search page is alright, with limited internship availablility, but some are there. Also there is this site http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/7442/jobs.html which has all kinds of places, but you will have to search for what you want. It is a good place to start thought....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Experience. . .no matter how stupid this sounds. Hopefully, you've done some 'hands on' projects in school or on your own while in school. Cite them in your resume! If not, get involved in something.

I also got my internships by submitting letters of interest to places I wanted to work and they created a job for me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most of the state APA chapter web sites list internships available in state. You might also want to keep an eye on the web sites of colleges with planning departments. Many list internships either in the department web site or at career services.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Make sure they let you write something so you can present a writing sample on a job interview. A staff report is great, a code re-write, vesting determination, anything. Employers want to see if yoo kan rite, so position yourself to write stuff.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I wish I had the budget for interns out here. It is such an ego boost to supervise them. When I did have interns, I made sure they could put report writing and public presentations on resumes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Maintaining skills
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Jan 2008, 2:10 PM
  2. GIS and programming skills
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Nov 2007, 7:36 PM
  3. Physical planning: art skills?